Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

The Mafia and Corruption Bert Cunningham

The Mafia and Corruption Bert Cunningham

Beitragvon stefan » Do Aug 21, 2008 12:17

Not all of Bert Cunningham's disclosures are mere figments of a heated brain
read more here

Bert Cunningham is quit a story right now.

stefan
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 164

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon Stony » Do Aug 21, 2008 13:44

Who is Bert Cunningham? Could you please explore? :roll:

Many thanks, Tony
Don't Drink and Navigate! &
Skype don't type ;-)
Also - wenn Sie DAS Lesen können brauchen Sie keine Brille .......
Stony

Bilder: 27

Beitragvon stefan » Do Aug 21, 2008 14:05

sure: Cunningham

and now he :
Mr. Bert Cunningham has put an end to his contract of employment
Mr. Bert Cunningham has put an end to his contract of employment in mutual agreement with the Board of the Mauritius Revenue Authority (MRA) on the 8th August 2008. Mr. Bert Cunningham, a Canadian citizen, acted as Comptroller of Customs on contract with the Government of Mauritius for 4 years before being appointed on contract as Director of Customs by the MRA since its launch in July 2006.

Both the board of the MRA and Mr. Bert Cunningham have kept confidential the terms under which the employment came to an end. The MRA has completed its internal investigation into the importation of a TV set by the Director of Customs in his name and the MRA Board has concluded that Mr. Bert Cunningham had committed no wrongdoing in this matter; he has not committed any act or malpractice warranting any internal disciplinary action.

The MRA will at the earliest select and recruit a Director having acquired international experience in Customs Administration.

In a press statement, the MRA pointed out that this will in no way detract the MRA or impede it in its proven relentless efforts to monitor effective and efficient administration and operation of the revenue laws, to deliver to stakeholders and the general public, the high standard of service they deserve, and to combat corruption, fraud and tax evasion.

source
stefan

Beitragvon mempep » Fr Aug 22, 2008 3:51

" I am not scared, not angry, neither upset nor frustrated, but I feel a sense of great sadness for the country. The image of Mauritius in the eyes of respected international organisations. I am strong in my mind because I know I have done nothing wrong here. But it is a disgrace to see all the forces I have been talking to you about, using instrument of State to attack me. This is just a continuation of the smear and intimidation campaign waged against me now for months. People here must ask themselves why is it so ? But, we all know that truth always triumph, sometimes earlier, sometimes later, but one day or the other truth comes out .I'm lucky enough because I can go back home to my life in a free country, but I feel very sorry for those I'm leaving behind."

The above is a quote attributed to Cunningham in Le Mauricien (21/08/2008).

The man was brought in to help resolve problems in an area which is well known to have certain issues. It is true the image of Mauritius is tarnished by the handling of this matter. The reputation of Mauritius as having systemic corruption and a certain "untouchable" element is not helped with shenanigans like we've seen.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Stony » Fr Aug 22, 2008 12:21

mempep hat geschrieben:" I am not scared, not angry, neither upset nor frustrated, but I feel a sense of great sadness for the country. The image of Mauritius in the eyes of respected international organisations. I am strong in my mind because I know I have done nothing wrong here. But it is a disgrace to see all the forces I have been talking to you about, using instrument of State to attack me. This is just a continuation of the smear and intimidation campaign waged against me now for months. People here must ask themselves why is it so ? But, we all know that truth always triumph, sometimes earlier, sometimes later, but one day or the other truth comes out .I'm lucky enough because I can go back home to my life in a free country, but I feel very sorry for those I'm leaving behind."

The above is a quote attributed to Cunningham in Le Mauricien (21/08/2008).

Very sad statement. :::(
Skype don't type ;-)
Stony

Beitragvon Gerard » Mi Aug 27, 2008 0:32

Mr Cuningham is a bitter man who feels that he has been wronged and he is on a lonely crusade to prove his point. It is very true that in all societies and in all countries, there have been well documented cases of corruption. It is inherent in the nature of some unscrupulous individuals to achieve profit and gain at the expense of fellow countrymen or the state. It is however not right to taint a whole nation and picture the country as being corrupt because of some isolated cases. It there is any unlawful activies on the part of some people, I am sure our prime minister would take appropriate action so that the our beloved island is not shunned by potential investors. I do sincerely hope that Mr Cunningham does not continue to make these allegations as it is not fair to us Mauritians in general who I am sure have been made him very welcome over the years he has lived on the island.
Mauritius forever,
Gerard :cool:
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 139

Beitragvon mempep » Do Aug 28, 2008 6:13

Mr Cuningham is a bitter man who feels that he has been wronged and he is on a lonely crusade to prove his point. It is very true that in all societies and in all countries, there have been well documented cases of corruption. It is inherent in the nature of some unscrupulous individuals to achieve profit and gain at the expense of fellow countrymen or the state. It is however not right to taint a whole nation and picture the country as being corrupt because of some isolated cases. It there is any unlawful activies on the part of some people, I am sure our prime minister would take appropriate action so that the our beloved island is not shunned by potential investors. I do sincerely hope that Mr Cunningham does not continue to make these allegations as it is not fair to us Mauritians in general who I am sure have been made him very welcome over the years he has lived on the island.

I don't think it's bitterness as much as dismay and disappointment. Cunningham has not tainted the whole nation, simply made his view known. The treatment the issue of corruption and how it's dealt with is what taints the nation if that's what you think. The Governments lack of will to tackle corruption at it's highest level has to be concern for everyone.

Cunningham was brought in to help clean up a problem - so there is recognition of a problem. You will not have sufficient evidence on a matter if you do not look for any evidence - the UK official that confirms he had written letters over a few years to be ignored regarding the whisky allegations certainly makes one wonder.

Isn't it called plausible denial or something like that ?

Cunningham had nothing to loose. His tenure was due to expire in a matter of months anyway so to say he's bitter is most unlikely. So why would he have raised these issues unless there was some basis to his beliefs ? Besides his "dismissal" or "negotiated resignation" was a result of his pushing the issues, not the other way round.

Seems to me that there is a mauritian attitude or culture that what people think is more important than sorting out the problems. Most reasonable people I would have thought would respect someone more for dealing with their problems than pretending they don't exist.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon stefan » Do Aug 28, 2008 7:32

i think more like mepmep, Cunningham have nothing to lose. he did his job and perhaps he did it to well for some people.
stefan

Beitragvon Stony » Do Aug 28, 2008 10:40

mempep hat geschrieben:I don't think it's bitterness as much as dismay and disappointment. Cunningham has not tainted the whole nation, simply made his view known. The treatment the issue of corruption and how it's dealt with is what taints the nation if that's what you think. The Governments lack of will to tackle corruption at it's highest level has to be concern for everyone.

Cunningham was brought in to help clean up a problem - so there is recognition of a problem. You will not have sufficient evidence on a matter if you do not look for any evidence - the UK official that confirms he had written letters over a few years to be ignored regarding the whisky allegations certainly makes one wonder.

Isn't it called plausible denial or something like that ?

Cunningham had nothing to loose. His tenure was due to expire in a matter of months anyway so to say he's bitter is most unlikely. So why would he have raised these issues unless there was some basis to his beliefs ? Besides his "dismissal" or "negotiated resignation" was a result of his pushing the issues, not the other way round.

Seems to me that there is a mauritian attitude or culture that what people think is more important than sorting out the problems. Most reasonable people I would have thought would respect someone more for dealing with their problems than pretending they don't exist.

Mempep - very well thought and phrased comment. I fully support your views. :ploppop
Skype don't type ;-)
Stony

Beitragvon Gerard » Fr Aug 29, 2008 3:36

It you scrutinise my post you will see that I am not disputing the fact that there exists cases of corruption in Mauritius......it is the same in the uk, in France, in india and any other country in the world and this will be apparent if you dig deep enough.......as I said, there are unscrupulous people the world over and in Mauritius too....the words used by Mr Cunningham Like " This is Mauritius" infers that the whole island is corrupt. As a Mauritian, I do find it hard to accept that Mr Cunningham has directed his criticisms in such a public way. This comes at a crucial time when we are expanding our tourist industry and any adverse publicity can harm our expectations and our targets. There are a lot of genuine and honest people in Mauritius and I am sure you have met a lot of them.
Regards,
Gerard :cool:
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard

Bilder: 139

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu News from Mauritius