Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Bill posting

Bill posting

Beitragvon mempep » Mo Sep 01, 2008 11:13

From Le Matinal 1st September, 2008
"At the initiative of the ministry of Tourism, a vast campaign against illegal posters has been launched at the end of last week. The campaign, called " Décoller, pas coller" which is being conducted throughout the island, has been launched by the minister of Tourism, Xavier Luc Duval"

The irony isn't lost here that the vast majority of posters which cause visual pollution across the island are from political parties, particularly around Mayday and election time.

Perhaps now what's needed is to step up the eradication of dogs roaming the streets. I know there's been a campaign to do this but it's not yet making enough of an impact.

mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

Dogs and Cats

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mo Sep 01, 2008 14:23

Hello mempep,

You obviously missed something: everywhere on the island a van catching stray dogs visits several times a month. Your dog outside without a collar on the day they visit your area: bye bye bello! They are kept for three days in a dog shelter in Port Louis and if the owner doesn't go and gets him or her (at the cost of around MRs. 1,000) they are put down.

However there exist PAWS and MSPA, two animal rescue organizations, who run castration/sterilisation programs and who try to educate people how their animals should be kept and treated. They will have a long way to go...

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon mempep » Di Sep 02, 2008 10:01

Hi Mme. Tortue

No, I hadn't missed it, just that the campaign's too slow for my liking. The van is not that regular at some places it would seem. And where I stayed last in the north the owner of some dogs had one caught twice and both times paid a little something to the people on the van for his dogs release, only for it to continue being a nuisance. We contacted MSPCA who said they'd send the van out but over a 6 week period we saw no van - though that doesn't necessarily mean it didn't come - and the dogs continued to run amok. Will be staying somewhere else for the next visit that's for sure.

I did see the van in action in Baie du Tombeau one day - the dogs ran away, the catcher chased about 10 yards, stopped, laughed and jumped back on the truck as it drove off away from the pack of dogs standing on the road watching about 50 metres down from them. But then I imagine you'd need a sense of humour to be a dog catcher.

The PAWS campaign is a very good idea sterilising the animals for free.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon axel » Di Sep 02, 2008 17:45

mempep hat geschrieben:I did see the van in action in Baie du Tombeau one day - the dogs ran away, the catcher chased about 10 yards, stopped, laughed and jumped back on the truck as it drove off away from the pack of dogs standing on the road watching about 50 metres down from them. But then I imagine you'd need a sense of humour to be a dog catcher.

why should they run? there are enough fish in the sea to catch easy without efford... :-?
Axel
Die Sonne scheint mir auf den Bauch - das soll sie auch (Heinz Erhardt)
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life (Monty Python)
axel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bilder: 5

Zurück zu News from Mauritius