Mauritius Bilder

Mauritius Unterkunft

Mauritius English Home

"Thalassa sur I'ile Maurice-Bericht" in Englisch übersetzt

Neuigkeiten von und über die Insel
Forumsregeln

"Thalassa sur I'ile Maurice-Bericht" in Englisch übersetzt

Beitragvon Brofasond » Mi Apr 28, 2010 23:24

Von einem Native Speaker wurde der Filmbeitrag für alle diejenigen übersetzt, die kein oder nicht so gut Französisch sprechen/lesen.

Zu sehen hier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLmyZ7xI2pk&feature=player_embedded.

Nachzulesen mit Bezug auf die jeweiligen Filmfrequenzen hier:

For those of you who do not speak french and who would still like to watch the video, here's what the gist of it is. It's a report by Thalassa, a french documentary that features the beauty of the seas and oceans of the world. The reporter meets with a Mauritian, Vassen, an oceanographer who studied in France and Canada who has spent the last 15 years documenting the sea surrounding the island. His passion for the ocean and his work led him to understand the shenanigans of the Tourism industry.

At the beginning of the video (2:30), the reporter shows how the local population is excluded from vast sections of the beach which have been claimed by the hotels and which are used exclusively by the tourists. The beach is legally a "public good," hence non-excludable to the locals but the reality is different.

Then Vassen takes the reporter and her team to two small islands (A few miles of the north) belonging to Mauritius and which are also natural reserves (a protected area of importance for wildlife, flora, fauna or features of geological or other special interest, which is reserved and managed for conservation and to provide special opportunities for study or research. ): Ile Plate and Ile aux Gabrielle. First they stop on Ile Plate (3:34). And to everyone's surprise, there are security guards there who inform the reporter and her team that they had to pay to access the island. When the latter argued that they were on a natural reserve, the guard replied: - Now the island is managed by the "boss."

Turns out that the island has been loaned to a private company by the government in 2007. The company has built picnic areas for tourists. The reporter manages to talk to the manager of the company, Mr Patrick Fanchette, in a luxurious restaurant. Mr Fanchette claims that the restaurant is a "small contribution" to the island by the company for taking charge of maintenance and cleaning the island (4:54).

As a matter of pure luck, it also turned out that the Minister of Tourism and Vice Prime Minister of Mauritius, Mr Xavier Luc Duval, was hosting a reception on the island. The occasion: Le Festival Creole. His guests: A delegation of reporters from France, invited free of charge, for a week to promote Mauritian tourism. In the video, you can see Mr Duval completely drunk and dancing to the local folkloric sega (5:30). In his drunken state, he agrees to give an interview in which he argues that the government needs private promoters for the expansion of the tourism industry as the "government cannot manage everything [...]and firmly believes that the private sector can better manage than the government when it comes to business."

Vassen believes that it would have been easy to find a NGO to manage the nature reserve but of course the government had decided otherwise. Then the report shows how significant amount of land has been converted to private properties and have been sold to foreigners at a price of $2 - 4 million. At the Anahita sanctuary, Vassen reveals that mangrove forests had been destroyed to make way for the complex. But the promoter Nicolas Rodin, sees things differently. "Here, we have replaced mud, grass and bushes by an artificial beach, you call it encroaching upon the public domain, that's your definition. I don't see it that way," he said (8:25). The director of Environment, Mrs Wing had trouble to find words to justify the sale of the land to the promoters and refused to continue the interview as she was pressed on (9:03).

The "icing on the cake" was at Balaclava, on the west side of the country. There, promoters did not even bother to get permission from the government. At the intercontinental hotel, the builders had blown up corals and rocks to build a channel for boats to access the hotel. The promoter Patrick Martinez (10:00), visibly surprised when questioned, unconvincingly denied it. He pretended that he "could not understand the questions." After the crew dived with an undersea camera, the footage that they collected in that area was more heart-ripping than outrageous. Corals had died. Catastrophic. Was how the cameraman described it.

Vassen concludes it best (11:55): Here in Mauritius, instead of preserving the coral reefs and the little that's left, why are we selling it all? Why are we selling it all to foreigners? Why don't we realize that our wealth is not in the foreign bank accounts in dollars and euros with foreigners but the Mauritian nation, our authenticity and our nature.

Und hier die persönliche Meinung eines Mauritianers zu diesem Bericht:

To my fellow Mauritian friends:
This video surfacing at this time, less than two weeks before we elect our next government, and dare I say our next vice Prime Minister will hopefully make us think twice before voting. Is the other side better? Probably not. It will be the same old faces coming back to power, be it the current government or the opposition. My plea is that we finally come to realize that it is in our hands to STOP bringing the same old oligarchs back into power! Enough of the apathy, enough of the blame-game! There is absolutely no reason why the younger generations cannot have a new, sustainable and progressive vision for the country, independent of the old bourgeoisie. As long as we allow petty things like ethnicity and race and caste and all the other bulls##t that is currently dominating the campaign to factor in, we are bound to face such sad realities over and over again.

Pass on the video. Let everyone see and decide for themselves. I personally think it's high time for us to say out loud: WE ARE NOT DUMB!

Viele Grüße
Brofasond

Brofasond
mari bon connaisance lor moris

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: "Thalassa sur I'ile Maurice-Bericht" in Englisch übersetzt

Beitragvon stefan » Fr Apr 30, 2010 22:00

hey Brofasond, thanks a lot or the translation!
[good]
stefan
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon zebra » So Mai 02, 2010 10:14

von mir auch vielen Dank für die Übersetzung!
Tolles Video!
Junge Leute mit Visionen sind sooo wichtig für diese Welt!
lg zebra
zebra
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon stefan » Di Mai 04, 2010 20:27

aber sollte man das nicht ins englische forum posten???
stefan

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon Brofasond » Fr Mai 21, 2010 21:20

stefan hat geschrieben:aber sollte man das nicht ins englische forum posten???

Da hast Du wohl recht. Ich dachte einfach, die meisten auch der Deutschen hier sprechen/lesen Englisch und meines Erachtens ist auf dem Deutschen Forum mehr "traffic" . Und einen Doppelpost wollte ich vermeiden. Falls der Gedanke nicht so passend war, sorry dafür.

Viele Grüße
Brofasond
Brofasond

Zurück zu Mauritius News