Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Western foods / Gluten free foods

for our english speaking user.

Western foods / Gluten free foods

Beitragvon Jez » Sa Jul 21, 2012 12:50

Hi All
We are visiting Mauritius in a weeks time with our seven year old who has acute gluten intolerance (Coeliac). Our hotel has promised that they will fully cater for him however being just seven, he has his favourites as one might imagine. Just wondering whether it is possible to buy Western brands in the supermarkets out there. Most specifically thinking of things like Ricicles, Coco Pops, Nutella, Petit Filous , Pringles / Doritos etc as well as any standard gluten free products . Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Jez
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Western foods / Gluten free foods

Beitragvon wickus » Sa Jul 21, 2012 14:19

No idea what Riciles and petit filous are but should not be a problem for the listed products. I have seen the others in the various supermarkets here.
wickus
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 0

Beitragvon Jez » Sa Jul 21, 2012 15:17

Many thanks Wickus
Jez
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon nelle » Sa Jul 21, 2012 23:21

Hi Jez,

I am also diagnosed with celiac disease and I used to travel Mauritius a lot - no problem.

At the hotel it will be easy with suitable food for your son. You just mention to the F&B manager to take care that your son will not be served anthing that contains wheat flour etc. When there is a buffet, you will be shown what your son can and and what not. Fruits, vegetables, rice anyway are "clean". In Mauritius it is not so much known to add thickener to sauces with meat or fish. If they use thickener, they usually use besan, a flour made of chickpeas; same to put a cover when they fry things.

Only problem might be breakfast. Dietetic gluten free products like bread, rolls, biscuits, pasta are not available in Mauritius. So better you take them along. You may try with your airline to be allowed some excess luggage for medical reasons - get a medical certificate from your physician or gastroenterologist that your son suffers from celiac disease and therefore is dependent on a strict gluten free diet. Produce this medical certificate when you apply for allowance of excess luggage. Also take such a medical certificate with you in case customs in Mauritius should ask for it.

Be careful with biscuits in Mauritius. I had read about some biscuits made of maniok - which would not have been a problem. However, when I went to visit the bakery, I realised that they make the biscuits of maniok but use wheat flour to avoid that the pastry sticks to the table. Furthermore, they use wheat flour mixed with water as a "glue" to close the packets to make the paper stick together.

Anyway - take you breakfast rolls, cereals, bread along; lunch/dinner at the hotel will be taken care of by the hotel.
AND ENJOY MAURITUIS.

Love, nelle

Btw - when will you fly???
nelle
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Jez » So Jul 22, 2012 0:38

Many thanks Nelle...really helpful. We're going out on Thursday..staying at Constance BELLE Mare Plage. How about the English brands ie Kellogs cereals etc...did you ever happen to see those out there? Thanks in advance
Jez
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon nelle » So Jul 22, 2012 23:29

Hi Jez,

frankly, I've never checked whether Kellog's is available in Mauritius. I am from Germany and the Kellog's flakes you can buy here contain malt and as malt is made of barley it is "not allowed" in my gluten free diet. In Germany we have rather strict rules about mentioning all ingredients of a product but it is also known that in other countries rules are not so strict. E. g. if something is added only in al very small quantity it might not be mentioned on the package. Therefore, I try to avoid whatever seems to be suspicious to me. I prefer taking along all my foof stuff.

I'll be back in Mauritius by November/December.

I wish you a wonderful time on "paradise island".

Enjoy fresh pinapple, coconut cream, different types of rice you get at the roadside, gateaux piment (fried balls of besan wiht chillies), gateaux coco (some coconut pie), grilled fish ...

Love, nelle
nelle
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Quartier Gourmet » Mo Jul 23, 2012 12:38

Hi Jez,
nice to see you visit our beautiful island and I am sure you will enjoy your stay with your family! [good]
Gluten Free is available, sure you will find it!
have a great time and hope to see you!

Jez just been contacted by BMP so if you stay there no problem with your GF product supply!
Michael
Quartier Gourmet
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Beitragvon Jez » Mo Jul 23, 2012 16:20

Hi Michael..thanks for your email

If by BMP, you mean the Constance 'Belle Mare Plage' hotel then yes we are staying there and I suspect the reason they've contacted you is that we have been communicating with them in advance to ensure they can source everything for us. Can you answer my query re Breakfast cereals...do you stock any of these that a 7r old might enjoy....ie chocolate theme or reasonably sweet ? If so, please let me know and I will get the hotel to request some from you / you can suggest it to them....whatever is easiest

Many thanks in advance

Jez
Jez
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon nelle » Mo Jul 30, 2012 0:05

@Michael, Hi Michael,

this is great news - gluten free items available in Mauritius!
Where can I get it? Which brands are available?
It would make travelling much easier for me, no need to carry all my gluten free food with me.

Thanks for your help.

CU, nelle
nelle
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English