Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

water situation

for our english speaking user.

water situation

Beitragvon nypy » Mo Jan 24, 2011 1:15

what is water situation now?

i've heard, that east coast have rained only 1/3 of normal and they are cutting water.
what is situation in west coast and grand bay area?

nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: water situation

Beitragvon teddamitzu » Mo Jan 24, 2011 10:52

Hi there,

the situation all over the island is very critical. The Central Water Authority cuts water. Only supply once a day. I read that we've got water only for 40 more days. It wasn't so dry since 40 years. No sufficient rain for the next time as the weather forecast told. Even we had heavy rain last night it is not enough. Hope that all tourists are aware of the severe water problem and will be very careful with water.

Stefanie
teddamitzu
aide boucou
aide boucou

Beitragvon Joe » Mo Jan 24, 2011 12:20

Its is forbidden to water the garden, wash the car and waste water in any way!
When caught one has to pay fines up to 200'000 Rupees or may even spend some time in prison.
Here a link: Mauritius Now

But biggest waste of water still happens in the rotten pipes of the CWA (Central Water Authority). 49% of the water is lost due to heavy leaking and this since years ... no decades describes the situation better. Without those leaks we would have enough water ... and who gets punished for that ?

The CWA published on their website the following numbers for the 19.01.2011:
Reservoirs
Mare de Vacoas 35.1%
Piton du Milieu 31.1%
Midlands 34%

Ground Water Production Reduction
Hollyrood 51%
Pierrefonds 57%
Mocrecellement St.Andre 32%
Yemen 59%
Gruss, Joe
Joe
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 36

Beitragvon teddamitzu » Mo Jan 24, 2011 13:02

Dear Joe, I fully agree to you. The pipes are in a very bad condition and CWA knows this, but is not able to do anything to change the waste of water.
I also had never understand my Water bill. Each month 55.00 rs no matter if we are 10 persons or not at all at home during 2 month.

There is a big need to change management at CWA.

Stefanie
teddamitzu
aide boucou
aide boucou

Beitragvon nypy » Mo Jan 24, 2011 20:49

well, the forecast promises more raining during next week, heaviest in weekend , just when i arrive there, heh

hope, that water situation get better soon
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon Joe » Mo Jan 31, 2011 10:24

Hi,
the last reservoir number's published by CWA are now 5 days old. The fact that they do not publish any new numbers concerning the water situation means:
1. The heay rain falls could fill up the reservoirs a bit and have reduced the tensions in public.
2. CWA probably wants the water topic out of the news, so they do not publish anything new and hope nobody else will.

I have the feeling that the installation of new pipes has to wait until the losses are above 70% and the water shortage becomes so bad that the mauritian people finally react like they did a few years ago in Palma: Riots!

Btw. Yesterday CEB (Central Electricity Board) has broken a record in Flic en Flac: We had 10 power failures in one day. The longest was around 1 hour. They can blame also the "bad weather" for their problems: The entirely above ground power grid is not really waterproof ... not at all !
Gruss, Joe
Joe

Beitragvon seashore » So Feb 06, 2011 2:51

I bet it will be extremely expensive to pay to repair and replace the pipes. I'm not sure where that money will come from. Are there any plans to fix the pipes? Until they're fixed, this problem will surely continue.
Chris Rogers / Expatriate Insurance Adviser
seashore
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Joe » So Feb 06, 2011 9:41

Seashore,

in the last months they were digging like mad in Quatre Borne; they installed sewers. I was told that his project was heavily supported with EU money.

So one would assume that while they installed the sewers, they also would replace the fresh water pipes and eventually would install some power lines under the earth ... NADA ... forget it ... only sewers. They simply are not able to coordinate things here ... the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Just a typical example: A new well made road; no more potholes and an even surface ... it has an average lifetime of 1-2 months before CEB,CWA or another government orgainsation needs to dig again to repair something, install something new etc. ... the hole is then often not even covered properly, just earth & sand and in 1 week you have 1 or several great potholes.

SeaShore, they have enough money to do it, but they prefer do use it for other things ... and the fact that they are not able to coordinate things costs the people of Mauritius a fortune.
Gruss, Joe
Joe

Beitragvon Matt » Mo Feb 07, 2011 20:01

Any updates on the water situation? When I left Mauritius on 15th January the situation was pretty dire. Water only once per day in my in-laws house in Vacoas. Have they had much rain since?
Matt
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Beitragvon HookerDeepSeaFishing » Di Feb 08, 2011 18:25

We're in Black River and, since the middle of Jan, we've experienced a lot of rain. Tamarin mountain was brown for most of Dec and Jan and now everything is green. It's great!
HookerDeepSeaFishing
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English