Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

My thoughts of Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

My thoughts of Mauritius

Beitragvon kentricho » Do Mär 27, 2008 2:43

Hi everyone,

My wife and I returned just last week from Mauritius. We had an absolutely wonderful time there, and really enjoyed ourselves.

We stayed at La Pirogue (Flic-en-Flac / Wolmar area) on the west of the island. This hotel was amazing, we were treated like a King there, they really looked after us.

Driving was very strange... the road rules are kinda 'anything goes'. In Australia, we would be pulled over and fined for many things that drivers do on a daily basis in Mauritius. I was quite shocked driving at 60km/h, a car in the in-coming traffic lane would suddenly pull out into my lane to overtake a slow driver. I often had to brake hard to save ourselves :-) We eventually got used to it. Driving through Port Louis is hell-on-Earth. At one point on the M2 going southbound (Caudan waterfront on our right) we waited 10 minutes for the traffic lights to change to green. I couldn't believe the amount of traffic.

We did a submarine dive, catamaran cruise to Ile Au Cerfs, quad biking and lion walk at Casela, relax by the beach and pool, botanical gardens, sugar adventure, markets in Quatre-Bornes and so much more.

In terms of pricing for a tourist, we didn't find Mauritius to be much cheaper than home. In fact, shopping for brand names is terrible, the Caudan Waterfront shops are beautiful and modern, clean etc, but the cost to buy clothes etc is so much higher than Australia. I do realise however that these shops are aimed at tourists. Cost of living however, is definitely much cheaper.

Coming home, we think my wife may have contracted Chikungunya virus. She has had a fever, insomnia, muscle aches and nausia for over a week now. Unfortunately they can't test for it here so we don't know, and the doctors said it is definitely viral and she just has to 'sweat it out' to get over it.

Overall, Mauritius was beautiful and we had a great time and would definitely go back some day!

kentricho
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon stefan » Do Mär 27, 2008 8:04

kentricho, thanks for this report :ploppop
stefan
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 164

@Kentricho

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Do Mär 27, 2008 8:53

Hello oz!

Glad to hear you had an event- and wonderful holiday. I'm sorry to hear your wife got ill and I find it quite strange: I spent 10 days in Melbourne in the beginning of February and one week after I returned home to Mauritius I got terribly ill.

My local doctor (I can really recommend him: his name is Dr. Jean-Francois Madeleine) examined me and his first question was: have you been to Australia lately... there you go. It appears that I picked up the so called Brisbane virus.

I suffered from fever attacks, the worst with the highest temperature always during the night and after getting strong medication from my doctor it still took one week until I was back among the 'living and working'.

I hope your wife will get better soon and I send you my very best wishes!

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon LovelyMoni » Do Mär 27, 2008 16:07

Hello Kentricho,

It`s an interesting report. Because of it, I think everyone can see you had a beautiful honeymoon.

Last year we were at the westcoast too. Not far away from your hotel. We stayed at the the sands hotel for 2 weeks.
Sometimes we took a walk on the beach by feet, but we couldn`t manage it to go up to the la piroque, because everything seems so far away, yet. So at the sugar beach, we went back to our area. During the walk we saw very much native peoples on the public beach on the 1st of may.. It was very interested to see the native ones.

We visited very much too. For one day we were at the Ile aux aigrettes.
When we were there, it rained but it was gorgeous. We feld like in a boondocks.

I have to thing about my holidays very often and I hope I will visit Mauritius very soon again to get to know more about the peoples and the island.

I hope your wife will get well soon.

How is the casela bird park? Is it well worth seeing? did you cuddle the lions?

Moni
Give everyday the chance, to be the beautiest of your life
LovelyMoni
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 12

Re: My thoughts of Mauritius

Beitragvon ud » Do Mär 27, 2008 22:27

kentricho hat geschrieben:
Coming home, we think my wife may have contracted Chikungunya virus. She has had a fever, insomnia, muscle aches and nausia for over a week now. Unfortunately they can't test for it here so we don't know, and the doctors said it is definitely viral

I'm happy you've enjoyed your stay and left just before the really terrible torrential rains. People of this forum and I would like to know about that illness and how she's getting on. We all wish she gets better soon. I will be really surprised if it's Chikungunya...

Regards

udester
ud

Beitragvon mempep » Fr Mär 28, 2008 7:29

Good to hear you enjoyed it. The driving certainly is an eye opener isn't it ?

Caudan prices are amazing in some cases. I bought a book at the National Library about 2 years ago for 100 rupees that was being sold in the bookshop there for 400. Like anywhere it pays to shop around.

Isn't it amazing that as such a delightful winter destination for Australians they don't saturate the market in Australia to get more tourists in their quieter times ?

Your wife may just have a bug that's going around Australia (summer flu) ? Recycled air in planes apparently have a knack of spreading germs. Chikungunya will likely also result in swollen ankles and for months after she may get aches in those parts worst affected - so you may be able to deduce from that if she had chikungunya or not. I know when my wife and other relatives got chik they slept a lot, no insomnia.

I read in the Sydney Morning Herald about 2 months ago that there were 9 reported cases of chikungunya in Melbourne so they must be able to test for it somewhere.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Chikungunya ??

Beitragvon Gerard » Sa Mär 29, 2008 3:23

Chikungunya is not prevalent this year in Mauritius and there have been no officially reported cases by the department of health on the island so far this year!
It is true that the prices of items bought by tourists at the Caudan is exhorbitant and the locals really do not shop there. I for myself find that I can buy designer labels ie: Lacoste, Fred Perry etc. cheaper in the uk compared to the prices charged at the Caudan. The setting however is very appropriate and well designed for the shoppers.
I am glad to see that the weather has improved after the disastrous floods which has affected the island earlier this week. I would like to offer my condoleances to the families who are mourning the loss of their loves ones. Things have now got back to normal on the island.
Regards,
Gerard.
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard

Bilder: 139

Beitragvon kentricho » So Mär 30, 2008 7:49

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for your comments and well-wishes. I am already missing Mauritius, what a great place.

Okay, for those who are interested about my wife's condition. From the comments on this forum, it sounds as though it wasn't Chikungunya. She didn't have swollen ankles at all.

She had some blood tests which showed a high LFT (Liver Function Test) and CRP (infection markers). She had another blood test a week later which had raised LFT and CRP which is a worry. Our doctor believes that it is a delayed reaction and they will return to normal. She feels 100% better but still feels nausea from time to time. She is having another blood test on Tuesday to see if the LFT and CRP figures have lowered. She had a pregnancy test which showed negative (for those who wondered about nausea :-) )

I will report back here in a few days with results of the blood test. She is feeling much much better (as am I).

My father told us that in each country you go to, there are a different set of bugs that people need to get used to, and most usually get sick once they visit another country until their body gets used to the new 'bugs'.

To MmeTortue - Australia is one of highest countries in the world to contain allergens to make you sick, and it doesn't surprise me that you felt ill. Australia can be terrible in that regard some times, until you get used to it :-)

To LoveliMoni - At Casela we did the walk with the lions. We didn't really get to cuddle the lions. We could pat them and hold their tail, but the keepers didn't like people touching them near their face. At the end of the day they are still wild animals with wild instincts. We had an amazing time though, and we highly recommend it!!!
kentricho
encor Basic
encor Basic

Travel bugs

Beitragvon MmeTortue » So Mär 30, 2008 10:21

Hello kentricho,

Very glad to hear your wife is already feeling better and I hope she will fully recover over the coming days and weeks.

As for me: for 10 years I'm travelling to Australia about five times in a year and I've never been ill at all [knock-on-wood]. I blame the crazy weather this year. Draught in some parts of the country, rainfall causing floods on the east coast of OZ.

In Mauritius we had three days of torrential rainfall last week as I've never experienced in my life. Four people lost their lifes due to the rain caused by the 'ex-cyclone Lola'.

My very best wishes to you both!

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English