Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Things to do

for our english speaking user.

Things to do

Beitragvon jonA4 » So Mär 23, 2008 23:41

Hi first time on the Mauritius forum.

My wife and I are staying at the Maritim in June for my 40th and our 10th wedding anniversary. Can anyone advise us of the best places to go and things to do and see etc?

Will the weather be good for us????
:lol:

jonA4
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon mempep » Mo Mär 24, 2008 3:26

Weather should be lovely in June. Temperature usually up to 27 degrees, nights around 19-20. A cold night might get down to about 16 but that's usually up in the towns and in mid winter. Some say take a cardigan, I find a long sleeve cotton shirt usually does it for nights.

It depends what you like doing. There is eco-tourist type trips in 4wd, visiting the tourist places, markets, beaches, etc, etc. The sunset might score you some points with the wife.

Markets - Pt Louis in the capital is always worth a walk around and the Caudan (harbourside). Lots of nice eateries in the capital, I like china town restaurants (near the north bus terminal). Stroll the streets of the city as well there are some nice old buildings and some excellent bargains from street vendors (usually cheaper than in the market). Always barter in the markets.

Other markets - Quatre Bornes is a must, and Mahebourg has a big market at the port just check which day it's on (I think Fridays). Centre de Flacq has a big market but is a bit of a drive and Goodlands has a small one food and clothing on different days and not every day.

Grand Bay is a bit north of your hotel, a short taxi ride or bus ride if you prefer mixing with the locals. There you can book trips to Ile aux Cerfs, some other islands, Chamarel (coloured sand), book fishing trips, underwater walking, etc, etc. Your hotel will probably have booking facilities as well.

You can get a taxi driver to take you around for what is reasonably cheap when converted to UK pounds. Or you can hire a car if you prefer. June is off peak for tourism so you may want to negotiate the prices a little, especially with the taxi drivers who love to over charge tourists.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Hello JonA4

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mo Mär 24, 2008 8:57

Mempep already provided some good hints. By the way: the market 'la foire' in Mahebourg is every Monday and not on Wednesday. It's close to the bus station so you can't miss it.

While in Mahebourg you should also go to Blue Bay - either by bus or taxi. It's a wonderful bay where you can hop on a glass bottom boat and enjoy the undersea world from above. On one of the boats you are also allowed to go into water which is an extraordinary experience. Take some bread crumbs with you and the fishes will eat out of your palms (not sure if this is correct grammatically but I hope you know what I mean...).

There are two further tips from me:
1. The botanical garden in Pamplemousse
It's always worth a visit although in June the number of flowering plants isn't as high as during the Southern Hemisphere summer months.

2. A Taxi tour along the south coast. Can be easily combined with the Mahebourg market visit.

Enjoy your stay and have fun!

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue
moris forum membre a'élite

Re: Things to do

Beitragvon ewa » Mo Mär 24, 2008 14:49

jonA4 hat geschrieben:Hi first time on the Mauritius forum.

My wife and I are staying at the Maritim in June for my 40th and our 10th wedding anniversary. Can anyone advise us of the best places to go and things to do and see etc?

Will the weather be good for us????
:lol:

Hallo from snowy Germany and welcome here in this Forum,

when you stay in the Maritim-Hotel, there they offer a boat-trip starting at the hotel at about ten in the morning, price was o.k. Last time they went on Wednesday and Friday as well, booking at the guest-relation.starting on the beach.
You take the boat from the hotel and have a trip to Port Louis, instead of taxi.
You stay at Port Louis and take the boat back or you may stay even longer and take a taxicar back to the hotel.
They also offer early morning mountain tours, guided by Dennis, for more you should ask the sport-management. Or you contact the Hotel and ask for offers. When you stay there you get a plan every week, so they may send it to you in advance.
If you are sportif, they offer bycicle-tours starting at the hotel,
My best experience by boat took place on 1st of june (a couple of years ago) starting from Mont Choisy beach to the Ile Ronde, in the North.
I booked at land and sea adventures in Pointe aux Piments phone 2611724, they pick you up by car and bring you back in the late afternoon.
Hope you can understand my English,
have a nice time there.

ewa

p.s. be carefull with the sun, even in June!!!
Schmerzen lindern O H N E Chemie
-------------------------------------------------
wer nicht reist, kann nichts erzählen
ewa

Bilder: 317

Beitragvon nypy » Sa Mär 29, 2008 4:07

and there is allways fishing, big game and reef fishing, and attleast one place, where you can try fly fishing too.
diving is great there, because the fishes
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Big Game Fishing

Beitragvon Tropical » Do Apr 17, 2008 16:25

Hi,

You can visit our web site: http://angeliz-popeye.blogspot.com

Have a nice holiday...
Tropical
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Sa Apr 19, 2008 4:02

Hi Tropical,

Please refrain from advertising in this section. You can post your information about your service in the "Introduce Yourself" section of the English Forum

Thx

Udester
ud

Beitragvon InsBro » Di Mai 20, 2008 12:06

Walking with Lions is a must!

Its a fantastic trip

http://www.safari-adventures-mauritius.com/

The site is being redesigned

Jez
InsBro