Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Tamarin Falls

for our english speaking user.

Tamarin Falls

Beitragvon kentricho » Mo Dez 17, 2007 4:56

Hello, it's me again... we're also really interested in seeing the Tamarin Falls.

I've tried some searching on Google but the best we can come up with is 'it's best to get a guide from Henrietta'. We're quite adventurous and would like to get to the falls without a guide... is it signed appropriately, or is it a 'mission' to try and find the falls?

Any tips on how to get there from locals?

Many thanks!

kentricho
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon Semira » Mo Dez 17, 2007 12:13

Hi there,

we visited the Tamarind Falls 2 weeks ago and it was a really hard trip. I don't think, we would have found the way down (and up again) without the local guide. There are many possible paths and most seem to be quite dangerous. And this gorge is definitively not the right place to get hurt. But it's a wonderful place and worth any effort (I had aching muscles for nearly a week). We got wonderful pictures there and Engywuck took a swim in one of the lakes. We ordered the guide at the little restaurant across from the bus station and payed 250 Rs per person.

Have fun!
Immer reiselustig
Petra

Jede Reise ist wie ein eigenständiges Wesen;
keine gleicht der anderen

John Steinbeck (1902 - 1968)

Das Leben ist wie ein Buch,
und wer nicht reist, liest nur ein wenig davon.

Jean Paul (1763 - 1825)
Semira
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 2

Beitragvon kentricho » Di Dez 18, 2007 7:59

Hi Semira,

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. Okay, so it looks like the best thing to do is get a guide. A fellow Australian on another forum said that at the falls, quite a number of locals were at the falls demanding payment for being there.

I don't think this is right, but he paid them anyway to avoid getting into a fight. Did you have any similar experiences with locals demanding money for being at the falls?

This worries me a little. I guess having a guide there would help.

Which bus station did you get off at to get the guide near the restaurant? Is there a bus station near the Tamarin falls?
kentricho
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Semira » Di Dez 18, 2007 15:36

kentricho hat geschrieben:Hi Semira,

I don't think this is right, but he paid them anyway to avoid getting into a fight. Did you have any similar experiences with locals demanding money for being at the falls?

This worries me a little. I guess having a guide there would help.

Which bus station did you get off at to get the guide near the restaurant? Is there a bus station near the Tamarin falls?

We've got no negative experiences at the Tamrind Falls. Such things are happening at Rochester Falls, I've heared. At Tamarind there were only some locals bathing.

We did not go there by bus but by hired car. So I don't know, which bus to take. Perhabs somebody else knows.
Immer reiselustig
Petra

Jede Reise ist wie ein eigenständiges Wesen;
keine gleicht der anderen

John Steinbeck (1902 - 1968)

Das Leben ist wie ein Buch,
und wer nicht reist, liest nur ein wenig davon.

Jean Paul (1763 - 1825)
Semira

Bilder: 2

Beitragvon ud » Di Dez 25, 2007 10:44

Hi kentricho,

My advice to you is to take the guide. Tamarind falls is a quite isolated place and better be on the safe side.

There are a bunch of people trying to dupe/fool tourists by making them think these places need a payment to visit.

However, the only persons who ask for payment are the one who would jump and allow tourists to take pictures or film them while making this thrilling jump.

For your own safety and to enhance this wonderful experience at the time of your honeymoon, it would be ideal to take a guide.

Unfortunately Mauritius has been experiencing a high rate of incidents/robbing recently(only 1 involving tourists last week) and the authorities are doing their best to enhance security in these places of interests.

Good Luck and enjoy your stay

udester
ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon nypy » Do Dez 27, 2007 2:13

are the robbers often using weapons?
is it aloud to have firearms in mauritius? who can have them?
or are they normaly using knives?
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon ud » Do Dez 27, 2007 16:45

Hello nypy,

I think they used knives to threaten those tourists...they were not harmed.

I don't know about the permit for firearms for self protection but I know people who are VIPS or own businesses are eligible to apply for one. Hunters obviously have the right to possess a firearm as speculated on their hunting permit as well....

These things spoil the hard earned reputation of our island.

udester
ud

Beitragvon nypy » Do Dez 27, 2007 20:56

thx Ud

it's much easier to deal with knives, than firearms , if u know what to do:wink)

and i am going to hunt there next time too
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon thermo » Mi Jan 02, 2008 18:11

I would definately advise you to use the services of one of the guides there. Negociate with them and they sould not charge you more than RS 500 for the trip down and back to the falls.
Tamarind falls is not an 'easy' place to walk around. If you decide to do it on your own, you will either find:
- You don't find the path to the falls
- You find the path, but get lost/don't know where to go
- You find the path but decide to go back as it looks too risky.
- You find the path but slip and hurt yourself.
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon kentricho » Di Jan 08, 2008 5:20

Thanks to everyone for their help, it looks like the concencus is to hire a guide to take you to the falls. If anyone has any ideas about the best place to get a good cheap guide, could you please let me know?

Many thanks :-)
kentricho
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English