Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Residence permit - when?

for our english speaking user.

Residence permit - when?

Beitragvon Devora » Mo Mär 08, 2010 14:16

I wish to ask expats married to a Mauritius spouse to share your experience.
It is about residence permit. How long have you been waiting to receive it? 3 months? six months? one year? [mad]
Is there a legal period the Passport and Immigration Office are obliged to obtain a residence permit?
When and how (by mail/in person, etc) have you received yours?
Thanks in advance!

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Art2design
Devora
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Bilder: 3

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Residence permit - when?

Beitragvon Joe » Mo Mär 08, 2010 19:33

Hi Devora,

I think you don't need a residency permit. As you are married with a Mauritian you have the right to enter and leave the country at any time. You also can work in MRU.

But you should ask in the Immigration office in PL for an ID-card. You need several documents for that. They have a list of whats needed.
Gruss, Joe
Joe
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 36

Beitragvon wickus » Mo Mär 08, 2010 21:42

I went through the whole process and it took me from 15.02.08, our wedding, until 17.10.08
You get this blue ID, which seems to be not much worth, just when the police might stop you as far as I understand. More important is this white paper you should show when coming back in the country (the paper where they say you are allowed to stay here)

But don't ask me about all the paper work, I have already successfully displaced this out of my brain and didn't take any backup or archive of this [biggrin]
wickus

Bilder: 0

Beitragvon Devora » Di Mär 09, 2010 9:01

Joe hat geschrieben:Hi Devora,

I think you don't need a residency permit. As you are married with a Mauritian you have the right to enter and leave the country at any time. You also can work in MRU.

But you should ask in the Immigration office in PL for an ID-card. You need several documents for that. They have a list of whats needed.

Thank you, Joe for good remark. In fact I was told the same while I was going through the process of obtaining working permit based on residence permit -- that the constitution of Mauritius and my marital status gives me right to live and work here. But, still on some places I am asked to present my residence permit. I submitted my paper one year ago. No reply till now.
About ID-card -- I will check with the Immigration office. If they will be open to give me this information.... [mad]
Devora
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Beitragvon Devora » Di Mär 09, 2010 9:10

wickus hat geschrieben:I went through the whole process and it took me from 15.02.08, our wedding, until 17.10.08
You get this blue ID, which seems to be not much worth, just when the police might stop you as far as I understand. More important is this white paper you should show when coming back in the country (the paper where they say you are allowed to stay here)

But don't ask me about all the paper work, I have already successfully displaced this out of my brain and didn't take any backup or archive of this [biggrin]

wickus,

if this ID card holds a ID No. it will be worth to me, as I've been asked on several paper to fill in my ID No. It will save me to explain each time why I am giving my Passport No.
About "this white paper", I have no idea what are you talking about.
In general, I've experienced that Passport and Immigration Office could obtain residence permit promptly, because I am working for institution we've asked for it to our overseas. But, in my case (and my dependents) things are not going in right direction. P&I Office wants to convince me I should wait, wait, wait.... which is very not professional.
Anyway, thanks for your comment.
Devora
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Beitragvon Calendula » Di Mär 09, 2010 11:30

For me it took one year to receive the permanent residence, but I can assure you it's really no problem waiting for so long [pardon] . Anyway you won't get with that what you're looking for. The ID no. they're asking for is the no. from the ID card which you'll get only if you'll have mauritian citizenship. Normally it's absolutely no problem to give the passport no instead, but I recall that for tax purposes an ID like number was created for me.

best wishes,
Mechthild
Calendula
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Beitragvon Devora » Di Mär 09, 2010 14:46

Calendula hat geschrieben:For me it took one year to receive the permanent residence, but I can assure you it's really no problem waiting for so long [pardon] .

best wishes,
Mechthild

How did you receive it ? By mail ? In Passport and Immigration Office? What is the validate date ?
Devora
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Beitragvon wickus » Di Mär 09, 2010 19:34

I think there is a number on the blue card but am not sure if it is valid to be entered in any form. Will see if I get the full text of the white paper one time in here.

It kind of says you are allowed to stay in Mauritius but the country also has the rights to send you away anytime without a reason.
wickus

Bilder: 0

Beitragvon locallady » Mi Mär 10, 2010 14:52

Married my Mauritian husband in UK and when we came here to live I did need a residency permit-granted with no hassle within a few weeks if that long of my entry.
locallady
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Devora » Do Mär 11, 2010 10:44

It kind of says you are allowed to stay in Mauritius but the country also has the rights to send you away anytime without a reason.[/quote]

[ahgm] [cool5]
Devora
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English