Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Residence Permit: doubts and news

for our english speaking user.

Residence Permit: doubts and news

Beitragvon Yuma » Di Aug 24, 2010 16:22

Hi,
Permit's rules are not so clear and, mostly recently, really all-changing...
I am here trying to understand better, I have read all the rules and the new differences, but i couldn't make everything clear, so I am asking for help, and I hope that this thread could be useful for others too

I have read here (http://mauritiusinsider.blogspot.com/20 ... vised.html) that there are two kinds of Occupation permit: one "with", and another one "without" the option to convert it to Permanent Residence...
I thought there was just one occupation permit and if you reach the needed turnover as Investor or self-employed you can ask the Permanent Residence after 3 years...

Then there's the situation of the Permanent residence that really seem to be in a state of limbo: I know that the PM's Office is not receiving these applications... and obviously i wouldn't like to find myself hanging every three years to the occupation permit [shok]
Your experience? Any advice? [angel]

In case there were latest news, we can post it here...

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Yuma

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere Albert Einstein
Don't worry, life is as a mirror, it smiles to you if you looks it smiling.. Jim Morrison

Bossa Nova Music
Yuma
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Residence Permit: doubts and news

Beitragvon mempep » Do Aug 26, 2010 6:42

I have residency, which is supposed to be permanent, by virtue of being married to a Mauritian citizen. My permit does not have an expiry date but includes the clause :
Your attention is drawn to the fact that the residence permit may be cancelled at any time without any reason being given.

So it seems permanent residency is only as permanent as the Prime Minister or Mauritian Government wants it to be. I suppose that's not a bad thing from a Mauritian point of view and unsatisfactory from a resident's point of view. I think the only safe thing is to get citizenship as soon as you can if you want to eliminate any risk totally.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Yuma » Do Aug 26, 2010 21:44

Thank you very much for replying Mempep, I totally agree that very best would be applying for citizenship as soon as possible... and on one side I can leave myself to the mercy of fate, but one the other hand I want to know as much as I can

I've heard about this uncertainty of the Permanent Permit's duration, and I think that it should be possible applying for citizenship by naturalisation in "that" period... The fact is that laws are not as clear as an expat would appreciate, and, being pragmatic, I have to obtain an occupation permit as a self employed and then reach the requested turnover to get this Permanent residence permit
Now there's a great difference (5 times!) between the annual turnover of Rs600 000 and Rs3millions... and i think that it really isn't easy to earn that money, but however it is possible...
The problem seems to be that these figures are uncertain... [very] [sad]

I already know that it's not easy to get a permit as a self-employed (obviously the government privilege the investor figure), but if my idea will be accepted I'd like to work with the chance to obtain, one day, citizanship and tranquillity [good]

...but in this moment i can only start informing myself as well as i can!

Thanks for help!
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere Albert Einstein
Don't worry, life is as a mirror, it smiles to you if you looks it smiling.. Jim Morrison

Bossa Nova Music
Yuma
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Yuma » Fr Sep 10, 2010 0:52

mmmmh.... I'm so sad! [cry5]

14 days and 160 views and just one reply [dash]

Perhaps it isn't such an intresting argument... [blush]

Anyway I hope that someone will share those essential informations ...and exeriences

"Ciao" everybody [bye]

Bossa Nova Music
Yuma
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Doro » Sa Sep 11, 2010 11:00

Hi,
you can find all information here: www.boimauritius.com
bye
Doris
Eigentümer Gästehaus Bellevue Tamarin
Doro
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 0

Beitragvon Yuma » Mo Sep 13, 2010 23:35

Doro hat geschrieben:Hi,
you can find all information here: http://www.boimauritius.com
bye
Doris

Thank you Doro, but I know quite well the site and the rules [black_eye]

But what about the Permanent Residence? I suppose that rules are changing only for new expats, I hope so...

I really would try to bring my working experience in Mauritius, but after the first 3 years, reaching the requested turnover, I'd like to get a Permanent permit and buying a property...

And in this moment it seems not so sure... There are changings on the horizon and a lack of precision/clearness, or not?

Thanks!

Bossa Nova Music
Yuma
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Doro » Di Sep 14, 2010 8:26

Hallo Yuma,
we are now 4,5 years in Mauritius and we had reached our turnover - but we haven't a permanent permit. In the moment nobody get it [cry5] . The Prime-Ministers-Office is responsible for the applications and gives no information why these are not processed in the moment. Be patient [good] - We have this information directly from the Bord of Investment.
Regards from Tamarin
Doris
Eigentümer Gästehaus Bellevue Tamarin
Doro

Bilder: 0

Beitragvon Beaver » Mi Okt 27, 2010 8:04

Even after being delivered the Permanent Residence ,one will need to continue satisfying the criteria for Occupation Permit or Residence Permit.
For example, if you are a professional, you should continue to earn a salary of at least Rs 75,000 per month. As an investor, you should continue to generate over Rs 3 million turnover per year. As a self employed, you should continue to derive an annual income exceeding Rs 600,000. As a retired non-citizen, you should continue to bring a minimum of 40,000 USD per year to Mauritius.

So far everyone is in limbo as far as acquiring the Permanent residence permit of 10 yrs . They are still waiting for some new laws or bills ( or whatever ......)
Beaver
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Relocation » Mi Nov 17, 2010 14:27

Do you want to work and Live in Mauritius ! Please visit http://www.workandlive.mu/
for more information. We will be pleased to assist you to move in Mauritius Island or from Mauritius Island to another country. mail us : info.rcsl@intnet.mu

Are you looking to rent or buy properties in Mauritius or looking for a removal company ? Just shout :-) mail on info.rcsl@intnet.mu
Relocation
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Matt » Mo Jan 31, 2011 0:46

If it helps, I`m English born and bred and my wife is English-born to Mauritan parents. Because her parents are both Mauritian, my wife has acquired her Mauritian I.D card, Mauritian passport and a Certificate of Citizenship from the P.M`s office.
However, even though I`m married to her, we went to the P.M`s office in Dec 2010 where I was told that I am not entitled to citizenship, residency or anything. I can only visit Mauritius as a tourist. Therefore, if my wife wanted to move to Mauritius I wouldn`t be allowed to join her. Bit of a shame as we had both hoped to live in Mauritius for a few months of the year when we`re older but we`ve had to knock that idea on the head.

Mempep, you say you have residency by virte of being married to a Mauritian citizen...can I ask you what country you were born in, and is your partner a Mauritian by birth or by virtue of Mauritian parents ?

Cheers
Matt
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English