Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

question about moving to Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Beitragvon ud » Do Feb 26, 2009 16:58

Hi terence,

Most hotel jobs require the jobseeker to be atleast bilingual and it's a MAJOR deciding factor in applications...

Since you've already been in Mauritius, it is important to point this out on your CV. Hiring an expat for a job is not a straightforward process most companies would look forward to. The medium and low range businesses would not want to incur visa/relocations costs. This is a different scenario for large firms looking for specific titles.

Maybe people on this forum could help you a bit more if you could tell us which sector you're into.

Dunno if this makes sense or not.

Regards

ud

ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon ud » Do Feb 26, 2009 17:24

Dear leaving_mauritius,

I don't really get it what you're trying to achieve by posting negative comments and painting such a gloomy picture of mauritians. Terence was referring to a job website. We all know that sometimes when you aply for a job, you might never receive anything off any websites you tried applying to, to let you know you haven't even passed the CV selection criteria, let it be Mauritius or even here in the UK but I will not go to such an extent to say that it is very common in UK for email correspondence to just be ignored.

I've had a look at the website you posted in your signature and was hoping that it would give me a link to that e-book to tell people the truth about Mauritius....to realise that YOU HAVE TO PAY TO ACCESS IT.

If people not replying to your emails infuriates you, I must admit that it kinds of infuriates me that I have to pay to access an ebook that tells me the truth about my country.....

Are you trying to make up for all the money that you lost while you were in Mauritius by selling this ebook?

I don't know what to say. I really hope you get back on track...I mean on the right track.

ud
ud

Beitragvon terence » Do Feb 26, 2009 17:48

Thanks for your help, I work in a travel agency which is a big as Rogers Aviation. We have similar systems and working patern. I did visit their Management team during my visit there, but currently they do not have any vaccancy.
My idea is to start my own travel agency there some day but I don't want to do it without the local market knowledge. I plan to work at the same time venture out in the market and then start my own business.
The only hiccup I have is the occupational visa that need me to find a job for a minimum Rs 30,000/-. If I get a job, I am even willing to come there for an interview.
I am so much in love with that place that I will do anything to come there. Being in the travel industry I have travelled to more that 30 countries including US and Europe but was never so impressed with any country. Till now whenever I see Mauritius on TV I get depressed as I am not able to fulfill my dream.
terence
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon leaving_mauritius » Do Feb 26, 2009 17:55

ud hat geschrieben:Dear leaving_mauritius,

I don't really get it what you're trying to achieve by posting negative comments and painting such a gloomy picture of mauritians. Terence was referring to a job website. We all know that sometimes when you aply for a job, you might never receive anything off any websites you tried applying to, to let you know you haven't even passed the CV selection criteria, let it be Mauritius or even here in the UK but I will not go to such an extent to say that it is very common in UK for email correspondence to just be ignored.

I've had a look at the website you posted in your signature and was hoping that it would give me a link to that e-book to tell people the truth about Mauritius....to realise that YOU HAVE TO PAY TO ACCESS IT.

If people not replying to your emails infuriates you, I must admit that it kinds of infuriates me that I have to pay to access an ebook that tells me the truth about my country.....

Are you trying to make up for all the money that you lost while you were in Mauritius by selling this ebook?

I don't know what to say. I really hope you get back on track...I mean on the right track.

ud

Isn't that the thing, though - everyone wants something for nothing. If you do a job, don't you expect to be paid for it? Doesn't matter what my motives or reasons are. Something is there, it has value, you have exercised your right to choose NOT to have it. No problem, as we say in Mauritius.

And I'm not sorry if I speak the truth - even if it comes across as negative.

I've made a point of saying that there are POSITIVES to living in Mauritius, but one needs to be properly prepared and armed with not only the positive marketing spin.

Mauritius is great for SOME, but for a great many other people it is not great. I've even had emails from Mauritians who are so fed up with the way things work. And if only one person's eyes are opened, then I'm quite comfortable with that.

However, my days of doing things for people for nothing - out of pure kindness - are over. My time in Mauritius, oddly enough, taught me that lesson.

And that's the sad reality. In 3 years I have gone from eternal outgoing optimist to agoraphobic hermit. And THAT is something I am deeply upset to lose.

And the email thing IS infuriating. And like it or not, it happens a lot in Mauritius, but to be fair it also happens elsewhere in the world too.

Why would you only want the rosy, happy version?

And who's to say that my track isn't the 'right' one, as you put it. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. It just means your view differs from mine. I can respect yours, can you do the same?
www.exp.mu - what everyone needs to know before moving to Mauritius
leaving_mauritius
encor Basic
encor Basic

Job in Mauritius

Beitragvon maddy » Do Feb 26, 2009 18:02

Hi Terrence,reading your text I feel the urge to write you some words.
I am a mauritian livng at the moment in German.Is looking forwards to return in my country.So I have a relocation agency in mauritius helping people to relocate and to set their business in Mauritius.If you want to set a firm or a Travel agency you can contact me under
ina.relocation@googlemail.com for more information.
Best regards
Maddy
maddy
moris explorater
moris explorater

Bilder: 1

Beitragvon ud » Do Feb 26, 2009 18:44

@leaving_mauritius:

I've been trying to help people on this forum as far as I can with providing them with info and trying to be sincere and unbiassed. You can browse through all my posts and my intentions are far from saying Mauritius is the "paradise island". It is only natural that you would come across comments in your posts/ people not sharing the same views while posting on a forum. A debate remains a debate. Since you're talking about respect, I just wanted to come back to some of your previous comments.

You said:

"It would be unfair to tar EVERY Mauritian with the same brush, but at the same time one has to be realistic and see the prevalances of the majority".

I totally agree with the comments made earlier in the thread that the MAJORITY of Mauritians view a foreigner as stupid and wealthy.

That said, there are also pockets in Mauritius where you'll find great poeple with decency - however, it's rare

Is that being respectful? Is that really the truth?
ud

Beitragvon leaving_mauritius » Do Feb 26, 2009 21:40

Er........ Yes, and yes.

In 3 years, that has been my experience.

I'm certainly not going to get into a flame war with anyone here, but I'm just going to say that maybe you're proving a very good point I make about hysteria.

I haven't been insulting, and I've made attempts to clear that these are from my experiences, and the experiences of others.

Why not leave it at a difference of opinion and let people decide their own truth, or is it that you personally feel insulted and offended. Perhaps I should prepare for deportation... :D :D :D

Let's get real - some people like it, some people hate it. What's wrong with having an opinion that differs to yours?

Just out of interest, ud, your location is listed as London, so a couple of questions.

1. When was the last time you LIVED in Mauritius?
2. Why are you in London and not in Mauritius?
3. What would be your reason for returning to Mauriitus?
4. Why did you leave Mauritius in the first place?

Assuming, of course, that you are Mauritian.
leaving_mauritius
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ud » Fr Feb 27, 2009 3:24

Hi again,

I'm not getting into a flame war nor am I being hysteric. It's just too easy for people who've had issues with SOME people to end up blaming the majority of the population. That's what's being felt by myself and the previous posters including that lady from England by reading the quoted comments.

This is is in my opinion the most respectful forum responses you could get....trust me.

Just answering your questions....

1) 2 years ago - but been there on holidays between university terms just like your case....oh wait...is it 2 years or 3years....I wonder coz its funny how time flies by between your 1st post and your 2nd one :D :D :D

Let's get real....yes I'm a mauritian but not by birth. Got the nationality having lived there for 20 odd years.

2) I'm not in London. I'm in the North East.

3) Not in the near future. Working at the moment till the end of my contract.

4) For further studies but ended up getting placements + job offers.

It might be a sensible thing to tell the forum where you come from....just
a thought.

Good Luck relocating back to your country and all the best with the ebook.

Regards

ud
ud

Beitragvon leaving_mauritius » Fr Feb 27, 2009 4:14

Damn my butterfingers. The 2 and 3 keys on my keyboard are so close to each other, sometimes we press the wrong one accidentally. It's a problem with having stubby fingers. :) - It's a little like saying "is is" in a post, but I suppose the sarcastic comments should only be from one side, right? :mrgreen:

And I'm originally from the UK, but am a serial expat. I have lived in 11 different countries, so I'm no stranger to different cultures. Of the 11 countries I've lived in, I found 10 of them to be superb.

So where are you originally from?

:cool:
leaving_mauritius
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Gerard » Fr Feb 27, 2009 4:38

Hi Ud,
Hi my friend, I totally concur with your last post on this matter, it appears that leaving_Mauritius has an agenda ....which is quite mercenary really .....he wants to make money at the detriment of the Mauritian authorities and the good people living on the island......a couple of isolated negative experiences does not mean that the island is corrupt to the core......I repeat that we are a developing country but we are doing very well compared to other African countries....obviously we are not at par with the Uk , France and other well developed countries and I do think that Leaving_ Mauritius expects the same standards as in europe!!!
He went there with an attitude that he should have everything he wants and maybe he has a superiority complex...expecting the "natives" to bow in front of him and grant him all his wishes....meritocracy is progressing in leaps and bounds on our island.....human rights is up to international standards and is probably the best in the whole of Africa.....our economy is thriving despite a world recession.....we are not perfect.....but we are trying hard however and specially working very hard to achieve success at a global level....
Leaving_Mauritius wants to make money by making erroneous comments about Mauritian society and about his negative experiences on the island. I wish him good luck in his endeavours.....he must have had a bumper sale of his e-book already!!! I somewhat doubt it!!!!!, maybe he should put an end to his unhappy life on the island and now go back to his country of birth and leave us alone.....The good people of Mauritius do not want the likes of him and his vitriolic remarks in our midst.......as i mentioned before I have quite a few ex-patriate friends who are happily settled on our island and they love their new way of life.
I will not post any further comments on this topic as I would just be playing in the hands of Leaving_Mauritius.....lets hope that he leaves our beautiful island as soon as possible and stops trying to make money at our expense.....maybe he should go and settle in Zimbabwe......
Regards,
Gerard :cool:
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard
servi souvent moris forum
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 139

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English