Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

question about moving to Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Re: Moving to Mauritius

Beitragvon leaving_mauritius » Sa Feb 21, 2009 20:13

ana hat geschrieben:Hi!

I am not sure if you will like Mauritius. I was born in Mauritius and left the island at age 17 to attend university in the US. After graduation, I was hired by Harvard Medical School and stayed on. Two years ago, my husband (US citizen) and I decided to move to Mauritius. My husband has been running his business in the US from the island. The connectivity on the island is horrible. We have the best package offered by Mauritius Telecom and yet the service is unreliable and incredibly slow. My husband had the educate the telecom techs on several occasions (so much for being a cyber island!)

We are also being exploited and robbed by everyone on the island. My husband is a white American and because of his skin color, Mauritians feel entitled to his money. Our contractor (Sanjay Jhurry) robbed us about Rs 3.5 million on our house - we are still in court but since the contractor does not have any asset, the court has no recourse against him. We had similar experiences with 5 other contractors - they agree upon a price with me and the moment they see my husband and my children, the price goes up. We also filed several reports with the police and the CID but they never take any action. The island is incredibly corrupt and life is very frustrating. No matter where we go, people try to exploit and rob us.

We also hear about crimes against foreigners on a daily basis. It is worse in the North of the island. After two years, we regret moving to Mauritius. It was a terrible mistake. I just wanted to let you know about life on the island but you might not experience the same thing. Good luck.

Looking at all this here, I hear you exactly.

We got here 2 years ago, and we're tearing our hair out and leaving. Because I am an expat in a local industry (media), along with having been continually harassed, threatened and now smeared publicly because I refuse to be an unlimited pot of cash for Mauritian grabbers.

The island IS frustrating and corrupt. Extremely corrupt. And when you have experienced it the way I have, you end up like me - regretting ever making the decision to move here.

The gossip culture is dangerous, not 'playing the game' will have business turn their backs on you, and upsetting a Mauritian only gets the wheels of corruption in motion.

I'm actually writing an eBook at the moment to demonstrate what it's REALLY like to live here when - as someone pointed out above - the sunshine and euphoria fades.

It's not paradise. The cost of living is escalating at a rapid rate. Yes - a white skin = unlimited pot of cash for Mauritians. Whether you think that's racist or not it's the truth.

Housing is VERY expensive compared to 'first world' countries. Everywhere you turn you feel like you're getting ripped off. Cars are almost 3 times the price here because of stupid import duties and taxes.

SCHOOLING IS A PROBLEM if you are looking for English-language schooling. Don't believe the Board of Investment website. There are only 2 'reputable' English-medium high schools and they are both full. You'll end up home-schooling like we are or - worse still - you'll end up leaving Mauritius to be with your children.

The day your child turns 18 he/she will be deported if he/she is not still in school.

Being a journalist, I have spoken to people in government, and the government wants your money - NOT your family.

Unless you are a heavy drinker, you will eventually get bored.

Even in the highest levels of government, the attitude prevails that all foreigners are billionaires with pots of cash to hand over.

I'm not saying DON'T ever come to Mauritius, because there are some people who love it here.

All I'm saying is that there isn't any real truthful information for people planning to make the move. I'll be fixing that in the next few days...

leaving_mauritius
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon locallady » So Feb 22, 2009 8:42

I have lived here for several years-amongst the local p[population and certainly not as an ex-pat. I love my life here and yes of course one must accept that this is a developing nation and be prepared that the infra structure is not as one might be used to in the USA or Europe. Life here is no more dangerous than anywhere else in the world, the majority of cries are family /relationship related -certainly there are nothing like the stabbings that occur daily in the UK for example.Yes as everywhere you can be ripped off but all you need to do is exercise caution in all your financial dealings etc NOWHERE IS PARADISE but this place comes pretty damn close when one has the Indian Ocean to relax by and the fine weather throughout the year
locallady
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon terence » So Feb 22, 2009 11:24

You guys are giving me a fright. I have been trying very hard in the last 6 months to move to Mauritius along with my family. When I was there on leave in August. I was very impressed with the country and people. A little bit of corruption and crime exists in all countries. I have made some friends who are also helping me in settling down there. I am sure in other countries only some agencies will help for a fee, no individuals will bother.
terence
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon mama-ela » So Feb 22, 2009 21:28

Hi there...reading all your mostly neg. comments about Mauritius is really irritating! And it`s not the 1st time I get the impression that some members of this forum simply don`t want other expats moving here (just check the german "well ment advises" whenever another german thinks/dreams of starting a new life here). I`m here now over 2 years and never had any bad experience concerning corruption, safety etc...Mauritius is a beautiful place to stay if you just know how to adapt to the pepople and the ecconomy around you...And to all the nagging forum members I only have to say: If the gras is greener where you came from - nobody forces you to stay here - you are free to go back to the countries of peace, easy earned money and non corruption...kind regards Mama-Ela
mama-ela
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon locallady » Mo Feb 23, 2009 13:57

Hear Hear mama Ela-as you say no one is forced to come here to live and I certainly made a free choice and have never regretted it Sure you can't begin to compare this island to Europe or the States and no-one in their right minds would. Living here can be as easy or as difficult as you yourself make it-I was frustrated by the bureaucracy but now accept that this is the way things are done here. Shopping -well there is a wide variety of food from all corners of the world and quite frankly nothing which I really miss. One expects that being a small island that costs of certain items are more expensive due to the fact that such items are imported. My advice is go with the swing , enjoy the pleasures of having fantastic beaches almost on your doorstep , make friends with the locals most of whom are hardworking well meaning folk and ADAPT!!!!!
locallady
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon ud » Mo Feb 23, 2009 20:07

Hello,

Coming back to this forum after a while to see these comments makes me really sad. I'm really sorry to hear about what's happened to ana, johnjoe20 and leaving_mauritius....especially the latter.

@ leaving_mauritius:

The way you express your anger and hatred for the country and even threaten to write an ebook on the reality must possibly mean that you've been through a lot. I hope your family will be able to overcome these years of unhappiness. I'm not sure how those words from a mauritian will ring to your ears but I am really sorry for what has happened to you. It's a good thing you're sharing your experiences with other people on ths forum. Like I said, I hope things will pick up and you'll get back on track. I'm certainly looking forward to access the ebook and I think you can share the link on this forum for everyone else to read.

Since this is an issue, I've decided to write a couple of words on that. I wouldn't lie if I said I feel the urge to defend some of the criticism that has been made on some aspects of mauritian life e.t.c. It's amazing that books and books have been written by famous authors and people (usually expats) who have spent most of their time in Mauritius, how they've found life to be interesting. There are surveys and annual statistics from NGO's like UNESCO and governmental institutions like the FBI on the actual situation in African countries....and let me tell you this, you'll be surprised where Mauritius stands out: usually at the top. If expats were harassed, threatened and smeared publicly, I wonder why those at the top of all those famous brand firms are still living in Mauritius and extending their contracts.

The cost of living has gone up? This is not really news to everyone. Expats come to the country with facilities provided by the companies they usually work for. Some are paid in their country of origin currencies or dollars for better performance vs the local currency etc. I want to imagine how hard it must be for the normal local resident Joe Blog who earns the average salary than to pay the bills. The price of cars have been duty /tax imposed since an eternity and depending on where you work and the no of years of service, tax relief is awarded to you.

Schooling in Mauritius is a problem I must admit. There are a few English-medium high schools and they are both full? If the schools are full, isn't that a sign that there are hundreds and hundreds of other successful expat children there? Most of the expats I've heard of usually accept the fact that their children will lose one year due to the adaptation and place availability at these schools. Our education system is in English, all college lectures on all subjects apart from specific languages and religion are taught in English so I wonder why expat still want their children only to attend these institutions. While I was at college I had a friend from Australia who attended the same institution that I did. He did alright and he adapted.

I could go on and on.....well you guessed it....."defending" the country (although I wasn't born there) but I would imagine that the human conscience will leave people to tarnish the image of a whole country due to your mishappenings.

The persons who have contributed on this topic so far are from the US and the UK. Do you even imagine how many people have been trying to leave their countries for a better life in yours? The difference is they didn't have anything when they moved..... Do you know how many have failed? Nobody paints a gloomy picture of those countries as the facts on how life over there can switch between extremes are already made available through the media. I think I've gone really far now...to express my point on how those things like corruption happen everywhere else.

Until proven otherwise......

Best regards

udester
ud
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon Gerard » Mo Feb 23, 2009 21:36

Hi Ana,
I am sorry to hear of your misfortune in Mauritius and wish you the best of luck in your fight to get some compensation. You have been very unlucky indeed. This sort of things however can happen everywhere in the world...including the uk where i do live. Dishonest and unscrupulous people exist everywhere, there are "cowboy" builders here too and this is well documented.....there is a tv program entitled "Watchdog" here to warn the public of these rogues. So Mauritius is not the only place where this sort of things happen and i am sure that this occurs in the USA too. You are rightly incensed, upset and very grieved that this has happened to you in our motherland but i can assure you that not everybody is like that in Mtius and i do second our friend Udester in saying that to paint everybody on the island as being corrupt is maybe unjust and unfair, I am sure that most citizens of Mauritius are law abiding and warm people who are well known for their hospitality. I do sympathise with your negative experience and sincerely hope that you can get some redress for the wrongs done to you. Despite these unfortunate cases however, there are indeed thousands of foreigners who have now made the island their new home and are living there happily. As far as the comments made by Leaving_Mauritius is concerned, I am sure that he has the option to return to his country of birth where i am sure he may get fairer and better treatment. What we have to remember is that Mauritius is still an emerging "third world" country and should not be compared to european countries and to the USA.
Best regards,
Gerard :cool:
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard
servi souvent moris forum
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 139

Beitragvon leaving_mauritius » Di Feb 24, 2009 9:32

I think it's fair to say that my first posting would come across as very negative. Hatred? I don't think so.

If - and I say IF, the country hadn't allowed me to see beneath the surface, then I would still be where I was 6 months ago - one of the biggest advocates of 'paradise'.

You see, the problem is that too many people paint Mauritius as absolute paradise with no downsides. This is simply not true.

My anger started when a very high-ranking government official told me that the country wants our money - NOT our families.

It would be unfair to tar EVERY Mauritian with the same brush, but at the same time one has to be realistic and see the prevalances of the majority.

Housing, for an expat, is more expensive than most places in the world. This is a fact. And the housing quality is not up to the standards.

I totally agree with the comments made earlier in the thread that the MAJORITY of Mauritians view a foreigner as stupid and wealthy.

That said, there are also pockets in Mauritius where you'll find great poeple with decency - however, it's rare. Corruption happens in every country, but here it's out in the open.

Schooling is a major problem. As an optimist you can say "Yay - look how many people are moving here", but the truth is - people are moving here, but they can't stay long because of the schooling crisis.

People - and no we're not all billionaires - move to Mauritius, set up home/job/car etc (not being able to buy property means you have to deal with the fact that you're throwing away money) and invest their life savings only to discover that it's not hospitable for their needs.

That's a fact. Why have I written an ebook on it? Well, it's not just about the negatives, but it's about the truth.

If this country wants to keep foreign investment, then they have to provide facilities that foreigners want. And the government doesn't have to do the investing - they just have to allow others to do it, but instead beurocracy, racism and red tape get in the way every time.

IT's not paradise. IT could be, but it isn't.

There are a vast number of foreigners that come here and love it - for a couple of years. After a while, the fact that there isn't even a cinema, or shoe shops, or decent malls or any other amenity you'd expect in an expensive and developing country makes them leave.

It's a false economy, and people have to be informed before making their decision.

I think it's one of the most beautiful countries in the world, but beaches and cheap booze get boring after the novelty wears off.

Something else has to happen to keep foreigners here. Not the employed ones, but the entrepreneurs and people who will actually contribute to the development of the nation.
leaving_mauritius
encor Basic
encor Basic

JOB OPPORTUNITIES

Beitragvon terence » Mi Feb 25, 2009 15:22

I just have one question to ask. While I was in MRU, I did not look for a job but looked with a view of settling down there. By the time I came back to Dubai my family too felt that MRU is the right place to live rather than going back to India.

I am now applying for jobs thru myjob and other recruitment sites and have also posted my CV's in that site. Even though I am qualified and experienced, I have not yet received any reply. Is it because I am out of the country or there is a different recruitment policy in Mauritius.
terence
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon leaving_mauritius » Mi Feb 25, 2009 16:57

Terence

It is very common in Mauritius for email correspondence to just be ignored.

I think it's probably a question of them rather not giving you any news than bad news.

It's something that infuriates me. It costs nothing to fire off a quick mail and say "Sorry, I've been busy, but here's a quick update..."
www.exp.mu - what everyone needs to know before moving to Mauritius
leaving_mauritius
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English