Weather Mauritius
  Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

question about moving to Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Beitragvon mempep » So Feb 03, 2008 3:27

Ana has had some bad experiences which unfortunately appear more common in Mauritius than some other countries. You need a good lawyer to deal with matters for you and not part with money until satisfied the product is what you paid for. Deposits should be kept as low as possible and progressive payments made. A reputable builder will accept this and have no problem with it. I've heard some horror stories and some success stories with building and property transactions.

As for locals ripping off non Mauritians that is the one disappointing thing I have found a lot. As a non Mauritian I've even had a shop keeper trying to charge me double what the local was just charged for a bottle of beer. The vast majority of taxis want to fleece as much out of you as they can. What's really annoying is when you say the price is too high some get very offensive and abusive.

My Kreol dictionary defines the word tourist as meaning rich - maybe that's part of the problem.

Having said all that the majority of people are honest and friendly and the island has enough going for it to make me want to return all the time.

mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon Bee » Mi Feb 06, 2008 14:53

Hi All
Thermo, what did mean when you said " the colour of you're skin counts here "

Does it mean to be more advantagouse to be dark or white,
please excuse my ignorance but i live in SA and in the past it was better to be " white ' now it is better to be " black " so i have no idea what it means in Mautitius ?

Thanks in advance
Bee
:Q :O)
Bee
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon thermo » Mo Feb 18, 2008 20:16

It depends. Say in the (remaining) Sugar Factories, you will find that the top/middle management are mainly made up of Christian caucasians. Take government jobs, and you will find that these positions are made up of mainly hindus.
Wrong religion or skin colour or don't have a family relation for a 'leg up'? Forget promotion. Trying to get into a nightclub where the majority of the clientelle is not of your ethnic group? Go and play with the traffic.
This sort of bullshit is rife in Mauritius. I am not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, it does, but not to the extent it happens in Mauritius.
Whether it is in school or work, you find that there are still divisions based on ethnicity. I still think is a retarded form of racism.
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon ud » Mo Feb 18, 2008 22:59

True indeed.

These are flagrant in governmental jobs and in sugar cane management

Mauritius is just like England but without the hypocrisy....
ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon Bee » Di Feb 19, 2008 12:21

:ploppop

Thanks for the info, seems as it's the same in SA.
I'm looking forward to visiting someday soon!!

i:() i:() :ploppop
Bee
encor Basic
encor Basic

Urgent requirement to send u the details

Beitragvon Ajay » Mo Apr 21, 2008 11:41

as i'm a consultant i would be available help you, so pls let me know ur full requirement through my mail :ajay.ramdharry@gmail.com
Ajay
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Mo Apr 21, 2008 14:10

Ajay,

Please refrain from mass advertising. There is a section called "Introduce Yourself" in the "English Forum".

You can in 1 post describe your activities there.

Thank you for your understanding

regards

ud
ud

Beitragvon stefan » Mo Apr 21, 2008 21:50

ud, thanks!
regards
stefan
stefan

Bilder: 164

Hi Ana

Beitragvon johnjoe20 » Mo Jul 21, 2008 15:58

Unfortunately we had the same problem with 2 contractors.

We went to the MRA who were very interested, because they had not registered, did not pay tax and the MRA wantd their share.

We hae the satisfaction of knowing that they will get 'done' for something.
Going to court is a complete waste of time and money, only the advocates/lawyers make money.

I agree that life on the island has changed over the years - but it is the same in the UK unfortunately. (but bigger)

I take the attitude that you have to be the best you can yourself and look after your own. I know a lot of nice people on the island. and I have made some friends.

I guess you just have to be very careful and live the best life on the island you can under the circumstances.

Best Wishes

Johnjoe20
If your Irish come into the palour
johnjoe20
moris explorater
moris explorater

Living in Mauritius

Beitragvon johnjoe20 » Di Jul 22, 2008 8:50

By the Way,

I am still trying to get as much information on each of my crooked contractors for the MRA who are very keen to get the money they are owned.

One of the contractors if from Germany, he has lived here for over 17 years runs a few companies and NEVER registeres with thr MRA or paid tax.
How do they get away with it!! There is no system for regulation of builders here?
I decided not to pursue them in court because of the cost and how long it takes. I was advised not to bother because they would plead poverty.

But the MRA said that is not important for them - they will take whatever assets they can get by law as the have committed a criminal offence by not being registered, avoiding tax etc.

Johnjoe20
If your Irish come into the palour
johnjoe20
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English