Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Swimming Pool Evaporation Rates

for our english speaking user.

Swimming Pool Evaporation Rates

Beitragvon dunno » Do Apr 07, 2011 11:46

The link below provides an informed guide as to how much evaporation occurs from a pool. The estimates are done at Australian coastal towns which would accurately approximate climatic conditions in Mauritius.

http://www.daisypoolcovers.com.au/daisy ... aporation/

dunno
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Swimming Pool Evaporation Rates

Beitragvon jamaicabraden » So Apr 10, 2011 18:20

very informative.now i know how the evaporation occurs within sizes and capacities of pools.

nouvo

Beitragvon dunno » Mo Apr 11, 2011 9:55

The five main factors which contribute to outdoor pool water evaporation are,
1. Pool surface area
2. The temperature of the water
3. The temperature of the air
4. Humidity
5. Wind

Seeing as Air and Water temperatures are two main factors contributing to pool evaporation, water evaporation at night is far less than during the day due to the reduced difference between the pool surface temperature and night air temperature, i.e. less Temperature Gradient (Thermal Diffusion) at night, less water evaporation.
If the pump is off during the day the surface temperature of the static pool water will increase due to solar heating which will in turn also reduce the temperature gradient, hence less evaporation.
If the pump runs during the day it mixes the warm surface pool water with colder pool water thereby maintaining a higher temperature gradient which will result in a higher water evaporation rate.

For those interested in the mathematics and theory of Thermal Diffusion (evaporation) see link below,
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/evapo ... d_690.html

A substantial amount of water can also be saved if the pool filter is NOT back-washed frequently, pool filters are also more efficient if they are allowed to accumulate some dirt. The most precise method of determining whether the pool filter requires a back-wash is via a pressure indicator which indicates the pressure drop between filter inlet and outlet pressure.

Link for clarification on "Filtration" and "Purification",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification

A Sand pool filter will only filter out particles down to a certain diameter, typically, 50 microns when the sand is clean and 20-25 microns when the filters sand is dirty. Bacteria (0.3 microns), viruses (0.005 microns) and fungus are much smaller than 20-25 microns hence why chemicals, principally chlorine, are then required to purify the water further, especially if the folks who use the pool pee in the pool.

Link for reference to Pool filter information,
http://www.backyardcitypools.com/faqs/f ... lter-5.htm

Link for reference to particle diameters,
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/parti ... d_934.html
dunno
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon LeaTan » Mo Jun 27, 2011 10:02

This is very helpful, thanks for sharing your ideas on swimming pool evaporation. A big help for pool owners especially for newbies. I would just like to ask , does it also goes with cheappoolproducts.com/Above~Ground~Pool_1~supplies.html above ground pools[/url]? Or this evaporation rate is for inground pools only? I just wonder..
LeaTan
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon salveB » Di Jun 28, 2011 15:10

Thanks for your post. It was really informative. :)
salveB
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Sollenne » Di Aug 02, 2011 10:51

Evaporation rate is affected by pool temperature and climate conditions but by reducing evaporation you save water and by keeping the water temperature up with a pool cover you decrease the need for electric heating sources and you won’t have to add as many chemicals to your swimming pool. Swimming pools are high-maintenance additions to your home, and they particularly impact your electricity bills. One way to save money and energy is to control evaporation in both indoor and outdoor pools by using a pool cover.
Sollenne
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon leftright » Fr Aug 05, 2011 10:19

Thanks dunno for the information and links, now I know my pool guy is clueless as to the basics of pools and the chemistry involved.

My pool guy has always insisted on the pool pump runing at least 12 hours a day, from day one he gave us a long story of how pool water needs to be circulated to kill bacteria and algae, now I know that he doesn't know the difference between FILTRATION and PURIFICATION, he also doesn't understand that a sand filter can only remove particles down to a specific diameter.
The proof that a pool pump doesn't need to run for long periods is that due to water shortages my pool's water level has been below the skimmer intake for two weeks, so the pump hasn't been able to run for two whole weeks AND the pool is still clear of algae, I've tested the waters chlorine content and it's a bit high but not off the scale.

My conclusion, clueless pool man, mind you he does have a great bod :wink)
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon elenahusky » Fr Mär 16, 2012 13:59

I am sure there are a lot of variables regarding geographic location and humidity levels. In the Mid-Atlantic, I would consider anything over 1/2" per day the mark to start looking for problems (unless you have a heated spa or waterfall, etc.).
nouvo

Beitragvon aquawatch » Fr Mär 16, 2012 16:37

hi, very compehensive article but difficult to read for a layman and underestimates in my opinion a little bit the wind factor. specially in costal areas.
wind plays a much greater role in pool water losses than solar radiation. the easiest and cheapest way to reduce water losses is to cover the pool after the daily use with a simple thermal foil like this:
for the lazy ones with bigger (but not tooo big) budget this one is the most approbiate:

happy splashing aquawatch
aquawatch
content partagé
content partagé

Bilder: 2

Beitragvon Carlton8100 » Sa Aug 25, 2012 16:42

Owning a swimming pool is one thing but maintaining it is a totally different ball game.No doubt these rates depends on the temperature,humidity,air flow and surface area of the liquid that is exposed to the air.I visited there.Contains great information.This is a very useful tips that will be referenced long into the future.
Carlton8100
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English