Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Not recommended ! Flic en Flac: Restaurant "Le Ocean"

for our english speaking user.

Not recommended ! Flic en Flac: Restaurant "Le Ocean"

Beitragvon Joe » Fr Dez 31, 2010 18:30

Hi,

I unfortunately can not recommend this restaurant any more. It is situated near the beach and the Spar supermarket. In the past I never left it disappointed, but I have to admit that I havn't eaten there since more than 6 months. The nice ambience does not reflected the effective status of the restaurant any more. I even think, one should warn people to go there:

1. Four adults with their 6 teenagers had to wait as from 21.00 to 23.00 for their dinner and thus wanted to leave the restaurnat at 23.00 as they still had not got their food. The owner wanted them to pay for the everything they had ordered and called, after the group refused to pay , the police (police station nearby, 200m) With the help of the police(!) he forced them to pay the total amount … This was the 1. evening in Mauritius for this group and I'm sure they will never forget it and will do “advertising” amongst their friends ...

2. We, my wife, a friend and my daugther, have eaten there on the 25. and were very , very disappointed about he quality and the way the employees and the management behaved. They first gave us 2 Coca Cola with nearly no CO2 . After my complaint we got 0.3 L coca bottles which were ok, but I could see that on at least 2 other tables they still delivered Cola without bottles …
The vegetarian spring rolls were sold out, so they offered us something else. At this time we still had confidence in the resto being professional. Our confidence should soon get disappointed: the rolls we got, were made of dough, outside and … inside. Nothing else in it … and of course for the same price like the spring rolls. This was really an insolence !
The ordered food was soon delivered, but the quality was bad. The sizzling lamb was over salted. Even for my taste and I am known for eating quite salty. The meat itself was with bones and very stringy … never have got something as bad as that meat in another resto here in MRU.
The duck meat had a strange taste, so that we stopped eating it after the first bites. The tomato chutney was made without coriander … the cheapest version of t.-chutney as one gets it on every fast food stand here . Only the ordered fish and fried rice was good.
I complained, they listened, asked for the full price and did not even try to find an excuse or just said "sorry".

So please don't say that you have not been warned ...

Gruss, Joe
Joe
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 36

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Not recommended ! Flic en Flac: Restaurant "Le Ocean"

Beitragvon leftright » So Jan 02, 2011 12:11

Joe hat geschrieben: The owner wanted them to pay for the everything they had ordered and called, after the group refused to pay , the police (police station nearby, 200m) With the help of the police(!) he forced them to pay the total amount …

I don't understand how the proprietor (with the help of the police) "forced" them to pay if they hadn't received their food, something fishy in paradise.
Was the food perhaps presented to the guests as they were about to leave ?, if that was the case then the restaurant would have been right to ask for full payment irrespective of how long it took to prepare the food.

Thanks for the heads up on the poor service and abusive proprietor at Le Ocean, it appears to be the norm in several restaurants. It seems that the general theme is to maximise profits while giving little in return. Tourists are gullible and easy going because they're on holiday, this easy attitude of the tourists is exploited to the maximum by the locals with the end result being that many tourists vow never to holiday here again, who wants to be "on guard" all the time whilst on holiday ?,

I think it would be a great idea to have a "wall of shame" for restaurants that provide poor service, or are abuse to their patrons.

I don't recommend the "Maffiozo" bar/restaurant, (next to the Spar), poor surly service, mediocre food, and very wobbly tables.

As the old saying goes, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice I'm the idiot.
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon nypy » Fr Jan 07, 2011 3:35

hi Joe

thank's about warning.

because i am just going to flick en flack .

can you locate that restaurant better please?
is it south or north from spar?
what side of (beach)road?

i don't remember names of those restaurants, sorry.

i will not tolerate that kind of service, i think they don't understand power of internet, all tourists looks, what kind of place mauritius is and if they like have visitors, they should chance behaving
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon Joe » Fr Jan 07, 2011 16:36

Hi,
use Google Earth: 20°16'47.51"S 57°21'59.65"E

Have a good time in Mauritius.
Gruss, Joe
Joe

Bilder: 36

Beitragvon nypy » Sa Jan 08, 2011 2:41

hi Joe

thank's for coordinates , now i know, what restaurant it is.
well , i've been lucky, because never been there.

few hundred meters south of it, is nice italian restaurant, nice seafood and other food too.
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon JoKi » Mo Jan 10, 2011 15:57

Hi nypy,

nypy hat geschrieben:few hundred meters south of it, is nice italian restaurant, nice seafood and other food too.

Sounds like "Chez Pepe".

Cheers, JoKi
Cheers, JoKi
JoKi
mari bon connaisance lor moris
mari bon connaisance lor moris

Bilder: 1

Dinner at 'Big Willy's" : Good

Beitragvon dunno » Mo Jan 10, 2011 18:34

The general outdoor theme is dark rustic furniture with large parasols for protection from "above". The service was prompt, attentive, but not polished. The waitress that served our table did try hard and it was discernible that she had been instructed in the basics of waiting at tables.

Beverages were served promptly.
Red wine was served at the correct temperature. (wine is a touch expensive, Nederburg Baronne Rs2000), they also serve wine by the glass and have wines from Australia, France, South Africa. (I forgot to ask about their corkage policy).
My main meal was a 400g boneless "Entrecote" or "Rib Eye", (Rs880), medium rare, the meat was tender, good flavour, slightly underdone but still to my taste.
My "partner" had Lamb, (Rs440), cooked as per request to "charcoal", also good flavour.
Accompanying the main meal was vegetables, crispy with a good mix of colour, all well presented on white crockery.
Side order of chips, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, nice, ( as one polar bear said to the other whilst munching a Eskimo Igloo).

Big Willy's is adjacent to the Caddy Plus and Espace shopping center at Tamarin.

"Next" [biggrin]
Zuletzt geändert von dunno am Di Jan 11, 2011 18:45, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
dunno
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon thermo » Di Jan 11, 2011 0:06

Joe hat geschrieben:Hi,
I unfortunately can not recommend this restaurant any more. ... The owner wanted them to pay for the everything they had ordered and called, after the group refused to pay , the police (police station nearby, 200m) With the help of the police(!) he forced them to pay the total amount

Mine Frire at Coin Ideal in Rose Hill sounds better than this [biggrin]
I'm not making excuses for the restaurant, but in most high-volume tourist places, you're bound to find somewhere which charges good money for absolute shite. Live and learn I guess, and thanks for the heads-up.
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon ud » Mi Jan 12, 2011 19:38

thermo hat geschrieben:
Joe hat geschrieben:Hi,
I unfortunately can not recommend this restaurant any more. ... The owner wanted them to pay for the everything they had ordered and called, after the group refused to pay , the police (police station nearby, 200m) With the help of the police(!) he forced them to pay the total amount

Mine Frire at Coin Ideal in Rose Hill sounds better than this
quote]

Been there done that. There's also Amigo snack near the market and the Gool at Beau Bassin near the promenade roundabout which stays open 24/7. You're guaranteed something to eat in whatever situation you're in (drunk or not) but the price to pay for it is either diarrhea or vomitting or both if you're really unlucky but it's FUN.

udester
ud

Beitragvon nypy » Do Jan 13, 2011 4:13

JoKi hat geschrieben:Hi nypy,

nypy hat geschrieben:few hundred meters south of it, is nice italian restaurant, nice seafood and other food too.

Sounds like "Chez Pepe".

Cheers, JoKi

yes, that it is, i liked it
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English