Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery
Mauritius Accommodation
Mauritius English Home

Music in Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Music in Mauritius

Postby olemunati » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45

Hello Everyone! After reading a couple of interesting threads, I hope this could be of interest for others than myself too. For me, I found the living cost threads especially interesting, because-after all-it-all-boilds-down-to-money sometimes. However I am from norway, so the living costs would anyway be small compared to, say Oslo -which is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

I am planning to study north indian tabla at the Mahatma Gandhi Institute autumn 2008. (I hope that the school will find me worthy as a student!)

What I am wondering about is how the life of a musician is in Mauritius. Is there any places to do gigs?

How are the instrument shops there?

Are there any good studios? ( I am planning to bring my own...)

Are there many musicians with a western referance ( rock, funk, jazz )?

What is the normal price for giving\taking lessons? ( in Norway it's about 200-350kr or 1000 MUR too 1800MUR, but the living costs are sky high )

Basically I hope this thread could discuss the music life in Mauritius. Any input from anybody who knows something would be great!

BTW: Great forum!

Info Mauritius Annonce

Postby ud » Tue Nov 07, 2006 16:19

There are only a few posh clubs where gigs are organised and these are mostly in french. However hotel bands perform almost everyday in most hotels. Oldies and some famous songs are the most common themes played in both English and French.

Well there are not many instrument shops in Mauritius.

it depends on which instrument ure playing : drums and guitars e.t.c there are J kalachand and Damoo both in P-Louis the city for basic kits. The other kits are found on catalogue and u'll need to order. Costs a lot more and takes a long time (usually 1 month or so)

A few studios. Not that high tech equipped but most local bands release some very good records of segga /raggae locally. The quality is good. haven't got a clue about the cost though.

AS u said the 1800RsMU can get u lessons for a month twice a week for guitar and drumming PRIVATE. Dunno for the rest.

I tried to help am not a huge music fan

here are some links at the bottom of this link itself :p
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Postby olemunati » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:02

Thanks a lot for your answer!!

Postby Anupamkushwah » Tue Jun 17, 2008 15:40

Hey Man,

I am Anupam from India... I am planning to Visit Mauritius on 27th may.
I play Tabla since my childhood.. I read you would be learning Tabla in
Mahatma Gandhi Institute autumn 2008..
I am playing Tabla when i was 10 years old.. I would be coming with my instrument.
Where from r u ???? and how come u started getting intrest in playing Tabla. Its one of the difficult instrument in indian music.

If you need any help please let me know ... R u in Mauritius now days..
u can mail me at

encor Basic
encor Basic

Return to Mauritius Forum English