Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Moving to Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Moving to Mauritius

Beitragvon Ellie » Sa Feb 24, 2007 22:16

Hi to everyone! My family and I are hopefully moving to Mauritius as it is now possble to obtain a retired noncitizen residence visa. We are relatively young my husband is 50, I am 41 kids aged 16,14 and 10. I have several questions I am hoping someone can help me with.
1. How much does it cost to rent long term on the west coast for a 4 bed house in a good area with a pool? We will be able to purchase after 3 years when obtaining a permanent residence visa.
2. The kids will have to attend private schools, at what age do kids finish school and could they attend normal Mauritian schools?
3. Do supermarkets stock more or less the same products as we have in the UK? For example convenience foods such as fish fingers?
4. What is considered a very good income per month for a family?
5. Where are the most desireable places to live on the west coast
6. Sholud we wish to employ a maid, a cook how much would this cost?
Many thanks :-)

Ellie
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon ud » So Feb 25, 2007 4:32

Elizabeth I've seen your article but am still under the influence of alcohol from being to the pub :PPP) . I will try to find answers to your questions as soon as possible.

Well just out of my mind:

Questions/Answers

2/ It is better for your children to attend a private school. Private schools already have a system that takes international people into consideration . They will eventually attend classes with other fellow international children (quite a few from UK) as well as Mauritian children and this will greatly play a role helping them go through the transition without any problems. I would advise LE BOCAGE International School.

http://www.lebocage.net/

If you try looking for some info on their website or even contact them directly, I am sure you will get all the information you need and might be given some contact details of your fellow british immigrants who might have their children in the school or in other words have been into a similar scenario.

3/ Yes Ellie you will get everything here. What do you mean Fish fingers :Q ?!?!? Of course we have them. In fact some makes are manufactured here just like some Tuna steak you find at your current tesco or asda store :ploppop . You might want to stay away from all the canned and frozen stuff and Try to take maximum advantage of all the goodstuff (fresh sea food, vegetables and fruits) we have here and I'm sure you will feel healthier.

Damn I've just put on some weight while studying here in Teesside, must be due to too much of Fish and Chips.

The other questions have already been answered on this forum if I recall properly unless the pints of Budweiser are still kicking in :he() . I'll try to get some more answers to the other questions or find them from the forums hopefully tomorrow!

Kind regards

ud
ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon Ellie » Mo Feb 26, 2007 1:06

Thank you for your answers, I look forward to hearing more info from you
Ellie
Ellie
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Mo Feb 26, 2007 2:33

Dear Ellie,

It was No big deal. It wasn't much of a help.

Well would you mind telling a little bit more about your situation and what do you actually know before moving just to share your actual status with other people on this forum?

I'm still looking for some more info concerning your other questions but I do not know much about properties.

Questions/Answers

5/ I can assure you that the Western area of Mauritius have the places well sought after and very pleasant to live in among the different parts of Mauritius. Flic and Flac and Tamarin should have all the facilities within range.
Port-Louis the city center is like 45mins-1hr away from there.
Moka (the place where LeBocage International School is situated) is like 1hr-1hr15mins from there.

Do you know how to use Google map?? I'm sure your elder child might know and you can zoom on the western part of Mauritius just to give you an insight.

I'm sure other people will try to help as well.

6/ A maid you say?Yes. The houses in Mauritius (you might already know) are not like the Victorian style ones clustered to each other that we've got here in the UK. I wonder how you English people manage to live in such type of housing with such restricted space. (That's a point of view from a Mauritian student in a Victorian style house.....just my impression)

Unless you live in an Apartment, you will have your own spacious house with garden in Mauritius. Imagining this already rings a bell that there is going to be a lot of tidying to do. A maid might come in handy to do the cleaning and ironing. Out of my mind, please cater for 75£pm (around MUR4000pm)

Well I guess you can then Cook your own food!!! I wouldn't mind popping in sometime especially after Christmas and take a share of Stuffed Turkey and Cranberry sauce. (tasted this traditional British dish for the first time this Christmas and put on a few pounds)

That's it for now. Feel free to fire any questions and I'll try my best to answer (if I know the answers of course as my lecturer reckons I'm stupid :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Kind regards

ud

++ Rejoice people who travel the world and learn about new cultures!++
ud

Beitragvon Ellie » Mo Feb 26, 2007 3:10

Thank you Ud.

Our situation is as follows

We have not made a decision whether to start up a business or retire there. Should we retire we will have an income of approx 105,849.00 Mur per month. (this is the amount required by the Government to retire there as a non citizen)
We are currently looking for appropriate business's either to purchase or start.
Regarding a house we live in a spacious detached house here in the Uk with a large garden so we would be looking for similar property there with a pool :wink)
Ellie
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Mo Feb 26, 2007 12:12

I see

I'm sure you will be able to afford what you're actually looking for!

:-? I don't know how much you will pay for taxes if there are any.

Good luck with everything
ud

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English