Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

moving to mauritius

for our english speaking user.

moving to mauritius

Beitragvon hrishi » Do Jul 06, 2006 18:54

Hello,

I see that most earlier posts requesting information about cost of living have not received much response. But I do need this information to make my decision, so I must ask. This seems like a long post, but I would appreciate if you would answer any one question that you know about. The questions I ask are common to most people looking to move and your response will help more than just one person.

I am currently in negotiation with my employer who wants to open a branch of their business in mauritius. In Mauritius I will be employed as technical/middle management for a web/IT company.

I wanted to know several things about life in Mauritius. First I would like to know what the average pay would be to a person employed in midlevel management in an IT firm before taxes and how much income tax is applicable. I would also like to know if this estimate considers company provided accomodation or owned/rented accomodation.

Second I would like to learn about the cost of living and how well I will be able to get along with the people of Mauritius. I have read many forum posts ranging from praise to downright abuse about life in Mauritius. I would like answers to specific questions which will help me get an idea about life here.

In an average month here in Mumbai, we (my wife and I) do the following:

Order pizza
eat out often (at least 2x a week)
watch 3-4 movies
read 1-3 books
rarely watch TV
use broadband internet a lot (20-30gb per month, but currently a lot of that is because i work from home.)

other than these i would like to estimate the following expenses:
rent on a 2bhk apartment or home
rent on such an accomodation close to the beach (but not necessarily on the beach)
cable tv
power bill with approx 300kWh per month consumption

I like to buy computer games and electronic toys (cellphones, games, etc) often. I would like to know how the market is for these kinds of goods (is it competitive? if there are only few merchants i'll expect to pay premium rates). I expect to upgrade or buy a new computer at least once a year.

Other than expenses I also have two german shepherd puppies who i'd like to bring in once we're settled. I would like to know if there are any procedures to be followed, certifications to be obtained from Indian vets/authorities before transport etc. Also if possible an estimate of how much it would cost to transport them (they weigh approx 15kg each). Regarding these I would like to know if there are any pet shops and how many there are (just an approximate number will suffice, only trying to see if it will be expensive)

I would also like to know if i'll be able to get along knowing only english and a few indian languages. I am learning french but I do not think i'll be fluent in just a few months time.

I know this seems like a demanding request but i expect that you will respond with what you know and maybe at the end of this discussion we will have a complete answer for all these questions.

I have seen that the people of this forum are very helpful and I am happy to be part of this online community.

Thanks and Regards,
Hrishi

hrishi
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon phdi » Sa Jul 08, 2006 18:59

hello your employer should no most of this answers if he is opening somthing there , first of all you have to know your budget , i can tell you that in mauritius you can do and buy everything if you can pay it . to rent somthing from 7000 till20000 rupees long term not on the beach people earn +- middle clas 15000 till 25000 normal 5000 till 10000 life is more expensive than india
have fun if you are going
love mauritius
phdi
moris explorater
moris explorater

thanks mate

Beitragvon hrishi » So Jul 09, 2006 7:29

thanks for responding!

i know the employer can provide this info, but i don't know them well enough to trust them -- and they have a vested interest in my being 'stuck' there once i move :-) (kidding)

the thing is, i have to send money home as well, and i was trying to see if i could fit everything that's already in my life and still have money to send home. I'll just play it by ear. The rent was the major concern. i already have it down as 8k in my budget.

tell me something, does the rental structure out there require a deposit or advance payment, and if it does, how much is required on an example rental of say 8k?

i'm grateful for your help :-)
hrishi
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon phdi » So Jul 09, 2006 19:21

Hello
For rent it depend place to place some require down payment some don’t , so it depend what you expect from it bud the majority of Mauritian population is from Indian origin so that should not be a problem , the standard of live is very good if you are earning good .you can ask your employer to send you there to check it out before you make a decision.
Success
love mauritius
phdi
moris explorater
moris explorater

thank you!

Beitragvon hrishi » Do Jul 13, 2006 10:24

you have been of great help
hrishi
nouvo
nouvo

Re:

Beitragvon bernadettej21 » Mi Feb 17, 2010 8:49

The employer himself must know all of these questions for you to be able to cope up if you will be going to be relocated in Mauritius. Well definitely, everything will change when you moved. From the lifestyles to several adaptations will allow you to do or exert some extra efforts. Rents, expense and regulations differ from one place to another place.
Zuletzt geändert von bernadettej21 am Fr Apr 09, 2010 11:03, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
bernadettej21
nouvo
nouvo

Re: moving to mauritius

Beitragvon ud » Mi Feb 24, 2010 16:20

hrishi hat geschrieben:Hello,

I am currently in negotiation with my employer who wants to open a branch of their business in mauritius. In Mauritius I will be employed as technical/middle management for a web/IT company.

I wanted to know several things about life in Mauritius. First I would like to know what the average pay would be to a person employed in midlevel management in an IT firm before taxes and how much income tax is applicable.

The average salary for a technical IT/management combining all the job adverts I've come across, I would say would reange between Rs15,000 to 24,0000 on starting and between Rs20,000-35,000 depending on years of experience. These will vary whether the company is a government body or a private company. Just want to make sure we're dealing in Mauritian rupees here.

hrishi hat geschrieben: I would also like to know if this estimate considers company provided accomodation or owned/rented accomodation.

Well these will greatly vary too depending on location and type of property.
Have a look on this website which englobes all the adverts from local estate agents for a rough estimate.

http://www.lexpressproperty.com/en/ .[/quote]

hrishi hat geschrieben:Second I would like to learn about the cost of living and how well I will be able to get along with the people of Mauritius. I have read many forum posts ranging from praise to downright abuse about life in Mauritius. I would like answers to specific questions which will help me get an idea about life here.

In an average month here in Mumbai, we (my wife and I) do the following:

Order pizza
eat out often (at least 2x a week)
watch 3-4 movies
read 1-3 books
rarely watch TV
use broadband internet a lot (20-30gb per month, but currently a lot of that is because i work from home.)

other than these i would like to estimate the following expenses:
rent on a 2bhk apartment or home
rent on such an accomodation close to the beach (but not necessarily on the beach)
cable tv
power bill with approx 300kWh per month consumption

I like to buy computer games and electronic toys (cellphones, games, etc) often. I would like to know how the market is for these kinds of goods (is it competitive? if there are only few merchants i'll expect to pay premium rates). I expect to upgrade or buy a new computer at least once a year.

If you're from indian descent I guess you would blend in quite easily.

Pizza: Rs250-300 large
night out meals: Rs500-Rs750 per session for 2 heads
Movie rental: Rs 200 per week
Book rental: Rs50 per week
TV License: Rs800 per year (I think)
Broadband: RS2500 per month. so you know 20-30gb is not a lot. I've been downloading Terabytes of data every month but this would not happen in Mauritius because of the low download rates.
Apartment Rent: Rs7000-15000 for average ones depending on location and upmarket property type.
cable tv: included in Rs2500 package for Internet.
Bills and Utilities: Rs2500 for 2 persons (Includes, Electricity, Water and Waste water)
Gas: Rs600 for 2 cylinders per month

Original Computer games are around RS1000 each and mobile phones are not so cheap. We import everything from Japan, Malaysia and China.

PC Upgrades won't be required every year. Just get a top spec just before coming to Mauritius. You should be able to cope with new games for atleast 2-3 years.[/quote]

hrishi hat geschrieben:Other than expenses I also have two german shepherd puppies who i'd like to bring in once we're settled. I would like to know if there are any procedures to be followed, certifications to be obtained from Indian vets/authorities before transport etc. Also if possible an estimate of how much it would cost to transport them (they weigh approx 15kg each). Regarding these I would like to know if there are any pet shops and how many there are (just an approximate number will suffice, only trying to see if it will be expensive).

There was a previous forum post on bringing animals. I'm not sure about that. The weight is not an issue. I wouldn't travel with puppies as animals have to be sedated I guess. I guess you'll have to give them away and buy puppies in Mauritius. They do have german shepard dogs. Loads of them.

hrishi hat geschrieben:
I would also like to know if i'll be able to get along knowing only english and a few indian languages. I am learning french but I do not think i'll be fluent in just a few months time
Learning will take a while but master the basic French communication terms: greetings, food, asking for direction and help e.t.c first .

hrishi hat geschrieben:I know this seems like a demanding request but i expect that you will respond with what you know and maybe at the end of this discussion we will have a complete answer for all these questions.

I have seen that the people of this forum are very helpful and I am happy to be part of this online community.

Thanks and Regards,
Hrishi

No probs

Regards

ud
ud
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Re: moving to mauritius

Beitragvon dagulskie » So Jul 18, 2010 11:03

Hi,

I don't have any information about mauritius, But i think it is a great and nice place to move in. I suggest you ask your employer or search in the internet for more information.

Food Catering London
dagulskie
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English