Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

move to Mauritius for 1 year

for our english speaking user.

move to Mauritius for 1 year

Beitragvon MG » Di Jul 08, 2008 19:21

Hi there,

My name is Marcel i'm 20 yrs old and I'm planning on moving to Mauritius for approx 1 year.

I don't know what the situation is if i am allowed to stay in Mauritius for up to 1 year as a self employed. I'm a professional online poker player. I make USD 5,000/month more or less, depending on the number of hours i invest.

I'm interested in renting an apartment near the beach (Pereybere, maybe)
It needs to have broadband and air conditioning. Do they even have broadband in apartments next to the beach?

I'm willing to pay around $800/month for the apartment. Is that enough?

And how expensive are Taxis in Mauritius? As that will probably my main source of transport.

Thanks in advance.

- Marcel

MG
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon kantor » Mi Jul 09, 2008 13:12

It should be difficult to qualify for the self-employment scheme as an online poker player. You could enter the country as a tourist (max. 6 months, return ticket needed, but this can be rebooked). You can see later what options you have.

800 $/month will be more than enough for an apartment. ADSL internet is available from Orange Mauritius:
http://www.orange.mu/internet/adsl.php

Taxis aren't expensive, for example from Pereybere to Port Louis it should be around 500-600 Rs.
kantor
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon MG » Mi Jul 09, 2008 13:40

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

Is it really difficult to qualify as self-employed as a poker player in Mauritius?

Because of what i know, playing poker for a living in the USA and Europe is seen as being self-employed. I don't know what other word would be used in Mauritius if you're making a stable income off Poker.

edit: Oh i got one more question.

My friend, shes a Doctor from Slovenia and she would like to visit me in Mauritius and she was wondering if there are any jobs in Mauritius for Doctors.
MG
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon MG » Do Jul 10, 2008 1:56

111 views and no one can help me? :(

Ok quick question, cos i have found conflicting info on this.

I have a german passport, how long can i stay in Mauritius as a tourist?
3 or 6 months? And am i able to file an extension some how once i'm there?

Oh and how does the whole return flight ticket work out when i get an extention?

thanks a lot!
MG
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Joslou » Do Jul 10, 2008 11:32

Hi there,

For 800 dollar per month you should get quite a good apartment. 1 US $ = Rs 30 approx.

Good internet speed is available here.

Here taxis can cost you a lot more than hiring a car on a long term basis. A 20 km ride in taxi will cost you about Rs 600 (US $ 20). For this price you can hire a small car for 24hrs and have illimited mileage. Since you will be here for 1 yr, you can negotiate the price. Email this guy for car rental in Mauritius. ridleymauritius@hotmail.com

Thanking you

Jos
Joslou
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon kantor » Do Jul 10, 2008 12:02

MG hat geschrieben:Is it really difficult to qualify as self-employed as a poker player in Mauritius?

Because of what i know, playing poker for a living in the USA and Europe is seen as being self-employed. I don't know what other word would be used in Mauritius if you're making a stable income off Poker.

It's not a question whether someone already living in a country is considered "self-employed" or not but for immigration purposes it is very different. To qualify for the self-employment scheme, they usually expect at least a business plan and turnover forecasts.
More information from the BOI:
http://www.investmauritius.com/Detail.aspx?PageId=41

As a tourist with German passport you can stay up to six months per calendar year but at the airport they will usually grant only 1-3 months depending on your return flight, but you can file an extension once you are in the country. The return ticket should be flexible, of course.

National GERMANY (DE) /Destination MAURITIUS (MU)

MAURITIUS (MU)

Passport (must be valid for 6 months beyond period of intended
stay) required. Also accepted:
- Identity Card ( Kinderausweis ) issued to children up
to/incl. 15 years of age, provided containing a photo of the
minor.

Visa not required for a max. period of:
- 6 months per calendar for touristic purposes; or
- 90 days per calendar year for business purposes.

Visitor must hold:
- confirmed return/onward ticket; and
- documents required for next destination; and
- sufficient funds for maintenance during their stay (minimum
of USD 100.- per day); and
- confirmed booking for accommodation.

Those coming to Mauritius for other than tourism, visits or
business reasons, should obtain prior authority from the
Passport and Immigration Office prior to arrival.

Any person overstaying after the expiry date of their
visa/entry permit will be liable for prosecution.

Non-compliance with visa regulations may result in refusal
of passengers upon entry and being returned to country of
origin/residence at transporting carrier's expense.

https://www.delta.com/planning_reservat ... /index.jsp
kantor
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon MG » Do Jul 10, 2008 15:12

Thanks a lot for the replys.

Where do i find out where to file for an extension? and can i do that immediately when i arrive ?

Another question, it says i need sufficient funds (at least $100/day) for however long i'm staying.

The thing is, I'm not necessarily going to bring $16,800 with me. But i'll be making money whilst staying in Mauritius through online poker.

So how do i fix this problem?
MG
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon kantor » Do Jul 10, 2008 16:38

The extension can be obtained anytime from the Passport & Immigration Office in Port Louis: http://passport.gov.mu

Tourists from "rich" countries are seldom asked to prove sufficient funds, and even when asked, usually credit cards instead of cash are ok.
kantor
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon thermo » Fr Jul 11, 2008 17:37

MG hat geschrieben:Hi,
Is it really difficult to qualify as self-employed as a poker player in Mauritius?

Poker playing is classed as Gambling. It is untaxed and not employment at least in the UK. Do you pay "Einkommenssteuer und Sozialabgaben" on your poker winnings in Germany?
I don't think poker playing will count as employment in Mauritius.
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon MG » Sa Jul 12, 2008 2:04

thermo hat geschrieben:
MG hat geschrieben:Hi,

Poker playing is classed as Gambling. It is untaxed and not employment at least in the UK. Do you pay "Einkommenssteuer und Sozialabgaben" on your poker winnings in Germany?
I don't think poker playing will count as employment in Mauritius.

Hi,

I live in the UK but i know that in Germany it is taxed. In the UK it is not taxed but it is still seen as a self-employable field, just like in Germany, Sweden, USA, etc etc. So i was just wondering how immigration could not notice this fact.
MG
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English