Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

mosqiuto,s

for our english speaking user.

mosqiuto,s

Beitragvon caralucas4@aol.com » Do Feb 09, 2006 14:07

[please can you inform me on the mosqiuto situation in mauritius, as i have heard that in neighbouring islands ,people have become quite ill if bitten and 1 child has actually died.

caralucas4@aol.com
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon Tommy » Do Feb 09, 2006 14:28

Hi,

we have been discussing this topic intensively over the last couple of days on the german side of the forum.
The situation currently is very much relaxed as the epidemic spread of a virus disease caused by moscito bites concerns the island of La Reunion, not Mauritius. There are seven reported cases of the disease on Mauritius and five persons are reported as potentially infected. However, it is likely that these persons have been infected on La Reunion.
The virus causes fever and pains in one's joints, but is not potentially threatful for your life. Only if you are in a generally weak physical condition you may suffer more substantially. There is no cure available but the sickness usually ends after about two weeks.
But, as I mentioned, the virus (or better, the virus-carrying moscitos) has not yet reached Mauritius and it is common opinion that is it not likely that this may occur in the near future.

Kind regards

Tommy
Viele Grüße

Tommy

Immer wieder gerne auf Mauritius und im Meer darunter ;-))
Tommy
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 79

Beitragvon GoUp » Fr Feb 10, 2006 13:07

Tommy I've read that already 15 people on Mauritus have this virus. In Reuninon in one week 20.000 people has get that virus.
I will travel on Mauritius in April and now I'm concerned. Can somebody tell me what insecticide should I take with me - that will be effective against mauritius mosquitos. I heard that europian insecticides are not effective against their mosquitos.
GoUp
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Tommy » Fr Feb 10, 2006 15:46

Hi,

it is likely that the 15 persons on Mauritius have been bitten on La Reunion, as people travel between these islands regularly and there is no evidence so far that any mosquitos carrying the virus made their way to Mauritius. It appears to be unlikely to happen due to wind and weather conditions, taking into account the distance between the islands.

However, to protect yourself you should carry some lotion with you to avoid moscito bites like Autan or the like. Better ask your local supplier for the best available lotion.

Regards

Tommy
Viele Grüße

Tommy

Tommy

Beitragvon anet » Fr Feb 10, 2006 16:09

We are going to Mauritius on 1st March for 3 weeks and are also concerned that some people have been affected by this disease (chikungunya) which sounds really unpleasant if one becomes affected. I am prone to mosquito bites and am taking 50% deet will this be strong enough. The seychelles has also been affected,however the worst affected if reunion which is closed to Mauritius so more of a worry.
anet
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon stefan » Fr Feb 10, 2006 20:54

anet, we need to watch it close, but this cases are reported, are from holidays maker in reunion.
mauritius keep a eye on it, what means the public is informed to watch close the matter.
but so far, nothing realy happen.
so if you come to mauritius, bring some good anti mostique repell with you , so you feel more save
:wink)
but nothing to worry about it today.
regards
stefan
stefan

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon anet » Fr Feb 10, 2006 21:19

Thanks stefan
Have looked on Tropical diseases London website and they recommend using insect repellant day and night. So will do that, and will keep checking on upto date info, foreign office have not info on it, am so looking forward to coming to Mauritius will just enjoy ourselves and cover ourselves in insect repellant. How romantic for my husband!!
anet
encor Basic
encor Basic

Chikungunya Virus

Beitragvon Jeremiah_Bullfrog » Do Feb 16, 2006 15:03

:he()

I am looking for as much up-to-date information as possible about the Chikungunya virus. I am getting mixed reports about the situation in Mauritius and the information on our Australian government site is vague. We are due to leave Australia for Mauritius in 2 weeks with our 4 year old - staying in the north-west for 1 week and then the north for 1 week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeremiah_Bullfrog
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Tommy » Do Feb 16, 2006 15:32

The latest information we have been discussing said that there were about 220 persons sick after having been infected. There is not an epidemic spread like on La Reunion and the cases were mostly located in the south of Mauritius. Still we all felt that there was no reason toworry.
Viele Grüße

Tommy

Tommy

Beitragvon GoUp » Do Feb 16, 2006 18:57

Tommy what about last year? Was there any cases of chikungunya on Mauritius?
GoUp
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English