Weather Mauritius
  Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

mosqiuto,s

for our english speaking user.

Beitragvon mempep » Fr Jun 23, 2006 12:17

Following an outbreak in early 2006 of the mosquito-borne virus, Chikungunya, in the Indian Ocean island of Reunion, a French overseas department, Seychelles and Mauritius, the number of reported new cases is now declining. However, many cases may not be reported to health or government officials. Symptoms of the disease include fever, severe rash and painful and debilitating joint ache. The disease is transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito and is potentially fatal to the very young, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems.

The above is an official travel warning to travellers to Mauritius by the Australian government.

Reunion also has officially reported deaths resulting from chikungunya according to various sources (a simple web search will confirm to anyone interested).

Again, I will state and confirm, we have had a relative die from complications as a result of chikungunya. I personally attended the funeral of the relative.

One would have to be very, very naive indeed to think the Mauritian chikungunya is any different to the chikungunya experienced elsewhere. But then that's probably what the failure to report true figures and the lying by omission is hoping to achieve.

It is clearly and unarguably a virus which can be fatal. It is of course not fatal to the majority who get the virus and I stand by what I said previously - with proper care you can minimise the risk.

mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon scotsista » Di Jun 27, 2006 21:26

Hi Mempep

I read your posting with interest. I posted sometime last month and have only checked the site today - interesting debate going on??!! I also came across the Australian info and found it quite strange that the British Foreign Commonwealth Official website does not highlight such dangers. We have definitely decided not to take our baby and although it is upsetting for us at least we know she will stay healthy. Can you believe British Airways would not offer us any help with regards to re-imbursement or even to change my husband's return date so he can come home earlier? They kept stating that the Foreign Commonwealth Office believe it is safe to travel. I highlighted the Australian info but they are not interested so not only do we lost out on a holiday of a lifetime and a big family reunion we have also lost out on the money for my flight!
scotsista
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon stefan » Mi Jun 28, 2006 4:43

mempep, could you please show us the source of you information?
thanks
stefan
stefan
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon mempep » Mi Jun 28, 2006 12:31

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... /Mauritius

Above is the link to the travel warning I posted, Stefan. You can also access it through www.dfat.gov.au and choose country information. If you are referring to anything else I raised let me know. I would have to say that while the Australian Prime Minister has a reputation for being a bit liberal with the truth the Foreign Affairs are generally very reliable.

While I was in Mauritius there was an article written by Jean-Claude Antoine titled "La politique de l'autruche" which makes good reading and raises the ostrich "head in the sand attitude" to chikungunya in Mauritius.

There was another newspaper article title "Polemique autour d'un recensement" which quotes figures of 10,969 reported in Mauritius, 248,000 cases in Reunion with 207 death certificates mentioning chikungunya of which 121 quote the initial cause of death and on 86 it is quoted as the secondary cause.

I can certainly scan and forward these 2 articles if anyone still doubts what I have posted. Just PM me with your email address.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Point of View: American Living on Mauritius

Beitragvon rck01 » Mo Jul 03, 2006 2:38

As an American now living on Mauritius I am alarmed by the lengths to which the local government has gone in order to protect the tourism industry. Not only are there many thousands of diagnosed cases (I've seen the lines at the hospitals and several of my friends have been infected), there is a real risk that the situation will worsen in the coming months. That's because the winter here, like the previous one on Reunion, has been relatively mild. Without the seasonal "kill-off," enough of the infected mosquito population will survive to cause a serious epidemic come summer.

It's now early July and I'm still running Vape in every room and dousing my family with DEET before any outdoor activity. We've been on the island since March and so far we've been lucky enough to avoid infection (that, plus there have been relatively few reported cases in our town of Beau-Bassin). However, each mosquito is a potential carrier, and it only takes one bite - at the market, in the local ShopRite or Super-U, on the street - and you're screwed.

I would strongly advise anyone visiting the island to bring their own repellent, preferrably containing at least 25% DEET (none of the local brands contain the chemical - one reason why we carried two GALLONS of Deep Woods Off with us from the U.S.). Also, long pants and sleeves are a must, especially at night. And of course don't trust the government or tourism authorities - check the local papers (lexpress.mu or lemauricien.com) since they tend to print the truth, much to the government's chagrin. :-)

And if there are any other American ex-pats in the region, please drop me a line (_rck_@_csaresearch_._com) - we're rarer than a Dodo fossil!

RCK
rck01
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon bobo_n » Di Jul 04, 2006 2:24

Hi all,
I'm planning to go to mauritius end of November till mid December. I am just a little concerned after hearing about this chikungunya recently. I understand that it is only a real risk if you have respiratory problems. What about if you have fairly severe limb problems. I have very bad joints as it is and am constantly on crutches and in pain. Has anything been mentioned about chikungunya causing more serious problems in already bad limbs.
Thanks
jo.
bobo_n
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Gilo » Mo Jul 24, 2006 12:30

Really worried about all this. Planning to travel to Mauritius for our honeymoon in September, and the British Forign Office are NOT informing us NOT to travel, but to take extra precautions, i.e. mosi repellant, but these pesky little things always tend to get us, no matter how much repellant we use. Our dilema is, shall we still go?
Gilo
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon scotsista » Mo Jul 24, 2006 18:03

Unfortunately like our situation with our baby daughter, that decision can only be made by yourselves. We were unwilling to risk taking our baby so my husband is over in Mauritius just now without us. He is actually from Mauritius and has family still living there. Just like the research we found on the web, information is EXTREMELY confusing in Mauritius depending on who he speaks to. It is obviously winter at the mo which means there are less mosquitos hence less risk of the virus but then many people believe the virus is not acutally spread by mosquitos and it's something in the air. Personally I think this is propaganda by the government but who knows for real. What I do know is we have a good Mauritian friend whose uncle had diabetes, contracted the virus and sadly passed away. The fact that the virus is killing people albeit more likely to be the young, elderly or those with suppressed immune system is enough to put me off!! It also makes a difference where you're staying. The big hotels are doing all they can to get rid of the mosquitos but if you're planning to stay outwith hotels and travel around the island, I would imagine there's more of a risk. Hope this has been helpful. I know exactly how you feel as we were absolutely gutted we couldn't go with my husband and to cap it all off, BA wouldn't give us our money back because as you said, the foreign office say it's safe to travel! Good luck whatever you do..........
scotsista
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon stussy » Do Aug 03, 2006 17:30

Hi all,

I have just come back from 4 glorious weeks in Mauritius. Like many of you I was worried about the Chikungunya situation there at the moment especially as we were staying with my partner's family and therefore did not have the protection the hotels offer. I only got 7 mosquito bites the whole time I was there!!!! As long as you take precautions such as using insect repellent, wearing long sleeved PJs and socks (mossies are particularly attracted to cheesey feet, 5 of my 7 bites were on my feet and ankles!) and using sun screen and after sun containing insect repellent the mossies stay away! (Boots Soltan is good and jungle formula repellent) Of course it is winter in Mauritius at the mo so there are less mosquito's around but in all honesty 6 of us went on holiday and none of us had any problems. Hope this helps! We had an amazing time!
stussy
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon stefan » Fr Aug 04, 2006 6:29

thanks stussy, for the effort, just to register, to share your knowledge.
thank YOU!
best regards
stefan
stefan

Bilder: 164

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English