Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

mosqiuto,s

for our english speaking user.

More reading

Beitragvon truevoice » Di Mai 30, 2006 14:13

Read these articles they confirm my view that a number of tourists have/are contracting virus from mauritius...etc

http://www.afrol.com/articles/18775

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/archiv ... -5078.html

truevoice
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon stefan » Di Mai 30, 2006 14:55

sorry that you feel like that.
but i never said that you are lying , but you are just 2 month late, in talking as we are living in hell here :wink)

it's truh, we are living here...and if you have would make a effort, to translate our topic what have over 72000 views. i believe you could find ALL your question in there and you would understand, that what your are talking about today, is from the past.

i never stated that chick is gone, the infection rates today is very low. AS we are in winter, AS there are less mosquitos then in summer. it's the nature...
the goverment is working on it, and us someone who is living here, i can see that.

anyhow...why to believe me...as we said in the german topic...believe the people who been here for there holidays....as there been scared...to come down...when there came back....they been so nice and posted there view.
is this a trustfull source?
or the press...who get into it so dramaticaly, that they review they saying today.

people died with chick...YES...as people die from a normal flu ...as everybody, who have a week heard or organismus...or any problems ...have a higher changes to die....as from a flu....
every sickness can bring deaf...
tell me a place where it's save to travel...your are from england? birdflu?

sit down and think...where in the world is a place, where you can't catch something...what is dangeres.
anyway...for me ...you talk as a expert....as you have a friend down here...right....did YOU been here? did your friend told you that there is a virus out that cause high fiver...but it's no chcik? did he? did he tell you, that you go today to a doctor here, with fiver...that there tell you you have chick ? how do we know if someone have chick....it's only by a test, this takes more then a week here...

anyway...we spoked to much about it...and anyway...for the momment...there is nothing to worried about it...and as i see, we will see only the goverment result in fighting chick, at the beginning of summer.

linking facts? from what source?

if you look at the express, perhaps it's this one?
http://www.lexpress.mu/display_article. ... s_id=65015

info what IS chick at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikungunya

the most up to date website about chick:
http://www.chikungunya.net/
but sorry it's a fance.

see what the WHO have to say:
http://search.who.int/search?ie=utf8&si ... tnG=Submit

and see the view of the german tropical center, with this center, our big topic started with, now there have reviewed there press release from 4 month to this one:
http://www.gesundes-reisen.de/news/aktuell/1000437.htm
sorry, it's in german.

happy translating, but i believe you understand, that we do not look for the past...today it's save...just use cream protection and spirale for home.

let's see what the summer brings...but now the winter just started.

truevoice, sorry when i do not go deeper inside...you need to understand, that you did not bring news...as you can imagine.
and this way of making people scared, is realy not nessesary.

thanks for your understanding and just for fun...right down a country where there is no sickness .
happy day
stefan
stefan
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon stefan » Di Mai 30, 2006 15:12

sorry last thing:
here http://www.info-mauritius.com/forum/fto ... c-400.html
username Titus, have done a summary, he is a forum user from il de la Reunion:
just a quick translation with babel fish:
Here some confusion developed in such a way over this illness. I would like to summarize the whole times bissl. First: the illness is already for some decades well-known. It originally originates from Africa, from the area of the large seas (Rwanda, Tanzania, etc..) She was never investigated correctly. 2004 came it to first cases on the Comoros, including the French island Mayotte. Particularly the cases accumulated themselves up there in the November/Dezember2004. Probably from Mayotte this came to Reunion, where the first cases mentioned against April 2005. Anyhow in the press at this time rum emerged. Note: I had sowas (probably the Chik) however already toward end February r./beginning March 2005. Into approximately contemporaneous it came probably to first cases into of Mauritius - particularly haven Louis. I believe so approximately 1500 cases was probably at that time registered. Are now however not so safe me at the numbers. At the time at that time the illness was generally regarded as "good-like". For lack of research was the level of knowledge at that time that this from alone, without treatment again disappears and leads to no larger complications. With us in Reunion (approximately one year ago) also no counter measures were seized at that time. The prefecture assumed this will automatically take care of itself with break-down of the Austral winter "" in July/August was these also strongly decreased/gone back and gave it only individual local herd. Approx. September/October 2005 gave it first referring to complications with newborn children. These were partly born, if the nut/mother were briefly gotten sick before the birth, with brain skin inflammation. This brain skin inflammation proved however in all cases as problem-free, and healed completely after 5 days. Permanent damage to the newborn children was not determined. First counter measures were met in November: 10,000 euro the prefecture in Reunion gave to treat over before dead Sunday the cemeteries (!!) against mosquitoes hammer Starting from center/in the middle of December 2005 spread the Chik with us like an explosion. So approx. in January there were further referring to complications in the disease process. These concern however only few persons - in the special probably Diabetiker and alcohol patient (at both it lacks with us indeed not). Also with liver patients and heart-weak it is to be able to come to more difficult process/complications. With alcoholics it probably particularly comes to these with income of Paracetamol (pain means). Cases were determined, where the illness did not heal completely, but over weeks and months stretched. Those lead usually to a kind Arthritis, which ends in addition, after healing completely. With some deaths a CO mortality was determined by Chikungunya. That means, the main cause of death was another, one could however not exclude the fact that the Chik the process of the "main illness" aggravated contributed - and thus to death. Altogether probably with approximately 70-80 cases (of totally approximately 250,000) Toward end January/beginning of February gave to determine it probably cases where one no other main cause of death could - the deceased however were stricken by Chik. I believe that was so with altogether approximately 30 cases like that (further of approximately 250,000 altogether, thus approximately 0,01% got sick) Also statistically it came to an amassment of the deaths into Reunion in January/February/March 2005 in relation to the average of the last years. I do not have this number now in the head, but I believe that approximately 30-50 additional cases were registered in relation to the average of many years. Thus is to be proceeded from a connection probably nevertheless. High point of the epidemic disease was with us in Reunion February, in which record week 47,000 new cases became determined. Since then sink the number of new illnesses weekly around 20-50%/Woche. We concerned now at 3% of the numbers at that time. Secondary illness: approximately in February or March also by first cases was reported, which repeated by the illness were struck. Sorry Blue Marlin, but you kann's probably nevertheless again get. Mostly the second illness runs substantially more badly, than with the first time, and keeps themselves substantially more persistent. Secondary illnesses are however further rare. Does not meet thus probably everyone. Transmission path: by mosquito pass, 2 different kinds of mosquito are kept for this responsible, but the main load is to probably carry the Aedes Albopictus (asiatic tiger mosquito). Other kinds of mosquito are however impossible, since no studies were for this undertaken. The mosquito must sting in addition first patients, in order to be able to pass the illness on. Precaution: from mosquitoes not to be stung to be able Smile Treatment: at present no medicines are well-known. With us in Reunion run studies with well-known malaria medicine. Apparent the first results are very successful. It is spoken already about whether one should use this with beginning of the next rain time preventively (vorbeuglich) wide. As personal note: I have one of these "chronic" cases in the neighbourhood, where itself the illness over good 3 months rauszog. The person was treated probably in the last weeks with this malaria medicine and seems to have fastened probably promptly. Other stricken areas: the Chik gibt's not only with us, but also in East Africa, Southeast Asia, India, Pacific islands. There were larger epidemic diseases probably already before a few years in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore. For the moment there is probably an Chik epidemic disease in east India - and in Malaysia probably for March in the area north of Kuala Lumpur (now my greetings to all, which transferred, and on Langkawi spend its vacation:) ) Patient numbers: with us in Reunion one seems to take nevertheless quite thoroughly - a certain gray area remains however available. Our office for statistics determines the numbers. For this all pregnant women women are submitted among other things with the preventive medical examinations and in the hospitals blood tests, and examined on anti-bodies. Also the physicians announce probably weekly the new patients - and also with info. Hotlines one can announce new cases, if one were not with the physician. This paying on the total population are then projected. In Mauritius one must probably have at least 3 symptoms of the illness for April, so that this is registered as Chik. Altogether there are probably 5 symptoms (fever, swelling, skin marks, muscular pains, joint pain... I which forgot?), whereby all patients also all symptoms do not develop. To the Wikipedia: the description of the Chik in the Wikipedia consider I VERY MUCH UNSATISFACTORY!! Already under the heading haemorhagisches fever is totally wrong! It comes to no bleedings (Haemorhagien)!! That copied there possibly who simply of the Dengue. My own experience: with approximately 95% of the gotten sick ones (including me) runs off quite loosely. So 2-3 days is ill one, with fever, etc.. - perhaps then still 10 days where one schlapp it is good but afterwards history is forgotten. For me war's no large drama, as also with most from my acquaintance and relative circle. Nevertheless I meet occasionally on a few cases, which rumplagen themselves for months with muscle and joint complaints. Those are perhaps so 5%, or perhaps also still less. I continued working - even if only so 2-4 hours on the day. I spent also good 12-13h/Tag with sleep in the first days. At 3. or 4. I have day again begun normally too worked. With the physician was not I - at that time simply I thought a flu would have caught myself, and the first 2 days in such a way 2-3 aspirin had swallowed. The fever had I 2 days, muscular pains (particularly in the neck and in the cross) with me one week long approximately stopped. After 3-4 days auf's the level of a muscular strain had decreased/gone back. Bissl more schlapper I was still a few weeks after the illness.
Greetings of the
Titus
stefan

Try reading, rather than preaching might see the light

Beitragvon truevoice » Di Mai 30, 2006 15:14

articles I have posted show time line...upto May!!! So not as old news as you would like us to believe.

Also avoid accusations until you have facts... otherwise you end up looking silly!

As for your philosophical position that any where in world experience death from disease ...goes without saying...but we are talking about a particular problem so get focussed!!! We obsiosly prefer to make informed decisions as opposed to silly optimism not based on facts.

Lets avoid getting into the realms of silly lines of questioning detracts from the advice being sought by genuine concerned traveller.
truevoice
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon stefan » Di Mai 30, 2006 15:51

go and make efforts, to translate postings, your "facts" are not new, i do not know, from where you get this websites, without any backgrounds.

i find it funny what you like to proof here> "truevoice" we do not speak about it anymore, and you believe you find new highlights what is old cheese...come down...make holidays ;)

or your are trying to tell me that a topic with over 72000views and over 400 post is just nonsens?

funny people, who log in as "truevoice" and talk about old things.

death is explaint....chick does not kill...only in combination with a sickness...like people die from a flu....did truevoie knows this?
did you do a list where it's save to travel too?

have a nice day
and make the list!
just to show....
stefan

last word

Beitragvon truevoice » Di Mai 30, 2006 23:17

Stefan,

I have already told you that I am not disputing the fact that the Chikungunya problem in Mauritius is not as bad as in Reunion .Yes that the government/hoteliers are doing their best to contain the problem. That with the onset of winter things will improve.

BUT don’t tell me that the numbers of people still catching the virus is insignificant, that there are no significant risks! I totally agree that the vast majority of mauritians/tourists are free of the virus but I dispute your belief that everything is fine/safe for everyone.

Oh, the websites I have posted and journals quoted, some of them are used to post medical info by experts in their field, virulogists/doctors…used by medical researchers/scientists.As for the WHO report you like to quote ,that is definitely a snapshot and out of date. France is commiting resources to research on the epidemic in the Indian ocean and I would suggest you redirect your reading to their findings on this subject as opposed to the standard “Chikungunya definition and historic commentaries..Chikungunya does not kill”. Like all viruses Chikungunya is mutating and now nobody can “with all honesty/certainty know that it cannot cause fatalities”

After boldly making an opening statement that Chikungunya doesn’t kill you then retract and say well it can lead to complications that can cause death. If you happen to slip on a banana skin and break your neck..does it lessen the impact knowing that bananas are delicious to eat and that it didn’t mean to cause your injury!!!!

On the one hand you reluctantly confirm that old/sick people and young children suffer most and may even have died as a direct or indirect result of complications caused by the Virus, on the other you stubbornly state it is safe. I wish I had your conviction and could make such a comment with a clear conscience. As a parent with young children myself I would personally think twice before giving the all clear to everyone.

I am not claiming to be an expert, I am just claiming to be aware of the risks/dangers and am advising caution. YES, I AM NOT giving original research information I am just quoting reputable bodies and directing you to information that are both old and new that have been posted on the internet and scientific journals.

On the one hand you are quick to point out the fantastic holiday reviews by numerous German tourists, having visited the island on numerous occasions I am not surprised!!! But try talking to those who have had their holiday memories ruined by catching Chikungunya or those who live there and are unluckily sufferers…and those who have buried relatives in Reunion…I am sure they have a different picture to paint.

Did you know that some people are suffering reoccurring pains over months as opposed to just a week?A Fact!!!!

I do have close knowledge of symptoms and have first hand information from those suffering from the Virus. That’s why I am a bit more cautious…call me risk averse but don’t tell me there is no risk to consider.

THIS IS MY SWAN SONG ON THE SUBJECT! For those going to Mauritius have fun but take necessary precautions. Yes, some part of me wish I was there to enjoy the sun Stefan…good to have a forum to air our respective views.
truevoice
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon stefan » Mi Mai 31, 2006 6:11

Did you know that some people are suffering reoccurring pains over months as opposed to just a week?A Fact!!!!

did you read the translation from titus? so please do not come up again with something, what is not new and the fact that none denies it, but how many people walk away after 4 days without a hitch.

...Like all viruses Chikungunya is mutating and now nobody can “with all honesty/certainty know that it cannot cause fatalities”

but till today..nope...but when you speak in general...sure..but when...why we don't speak about, when it happen...for chickenflu we are still waiting too...

truevoice, the fact been for me, that you came very late with your "knowledge" and in my understanding that you are putting new facts to the chick problem in mauritius. as your nickname claims, people listen i know it and all others are wrong, in a time where the "big" problem is temporally/or for ever, not an problem today as it been before.
as i try to make you understand, that we have wintertime, what gives us less mosquito's....so less mosquito's = less infections, and for the moment we have much less infections.

how can i measure this? i measure this in the day to day life, like i run a factory, employee 25 people and 2 month ago...i got 4 with chick...thins then...not one. my family....we are 4...not 1 got it and we are living permanently here on the island. friends around did not really get it, but i know people who got it before...but it's not a epidemic, as the press stated on the beginning.
in the german topic...sorry that it is in german...we had all kinds of informations and people put there brain in to find new things.....as at first hand...who like to believe the government....the press is right in what there are saying? so we are here, people who live here, but even for us...or better for me...people could mistrust...as i have perhaps a interest to...not to lose people on our website!?
so we believe the best source of information, what we or all can get...is from the tourist, who came here in the time, where chick been in everybody's mouth.
fact here is, that everybody came back and said thanks to all, that they did not cancel there holidays...as the hotels are so well protected, that there even do not put cream on them self after the third night etc....but even they did not stay in the hotels...they went around...all fine. only one guy catch it, as he always come down to stay with his mauritian girlfriend...unlucky!? but it shows again...that if...then the ...day to day population been at a much higher risk...but as i said...we live normal here...there is NO panic, even when we can't run away :wink) , but anyway there is no need to and there has been never a need too.

my advise for any tourist...is bring your protection cream against mosquito's...but do not let get your holidays spoilt. you will see your self, when you are down here....for sure...a guaranty...no one can give...but the risk is very low...low as catching something else somewhere else.

truevoice, you stated to me, that my given websites show old infos...but please recall, that all this institutions, can't update something....when there are no news. and again, i been wondering, why now...why now...you pooped in like that...2 month ago i would understand it very well....and thats why i think you are late, but it's never too late...and us i say...we need to see ..what will be happen...when we go to summer and we get a higher mosquito population...then...news will get in again...but as we have less...can't create new news.
so lets hope that the government and the private sector...and do not forget that the population them self have to work on this.
so that mauritius gets complete chick free as it has been dine before with malaria.

truevoice, thanks for the sun...but i'm working here...so mostly on the weekend only.

have a nice day over there!
regards
stefan
stefan

Re: more info

Beitragvon axel » Mi Mai 31, 2006 9:16

truevoice hat geschrieben:Although the official figures show a drop in cases, I doubt it is significant..your chances of catching it would be still relatively high if you go to the wrong places without proper precautions/protection.

Sorry, but have you considered that scotsista is asking for a holiday in JULY????
I feel that some people enjoy creating panic. Many things sound to to me close to THE SUN...
Axel
Die Sonne scheint mir auf den Bauch - das soll sie auch (Heinz Erhardt)
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life (Monty Python)
axel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bilder: 5

Beitragvon mempep » Mo Jun 19, 2006 7:14

Just got back from 8 weeks in Mauritius. Of 4 of us, 2 got chikungunya. We had insect repellant, plug in repellant, used insect spray and burned citronella candles at night, but still weren't 100% protected. We have had a relative die from complications as a result of chikungunya.

The "official" figures were put at just under 11,000 cases from December to April according to l'express but that is a gross understatement. Most people affected do not go to doctors as they are told to take paracetamol and rest it out. One of our party attended the clinic once able to get out of bed and was told go rest and he'd done the right thing taking panadol. No record taken, no tests, no adding to the official count.

The position is overstated as it is feared it will be detrimental to the tourist industry. Unfortunately the majority of the population can inform themselves nowadays and I have not met one person who believes the "official" figures and all know those figures are untrue and the lying will be detrimental in the long run. The Govt would be better off acknowledging the extent of the problem and detailing the steps being taken to solve the problem. It is true they are fogging, spraying and cleaning up. Also the onset of cooler and dryer weather means less mosquitoes so the problem should ease for several months.

I read an article of interviews with 3 employers, 1 said they had 10% staff off with chik in March, another 10-12% and the third said he'd had very few off. The area or region I believe may play a part. I was at Trou aux Biches and they fogged 3 times that I know of while I was there. There were lots of mosquitoes around the trees at the nearby hotel when I went one night to watch the sega.

The problem is much more serious than is stated, however with proper care you can minimise the risk. Tests of people in areas where denge fever hits apparently showed about 10% of people had the antibodies but no symptoms, this is likely the case with chik as well. There are differing levels of intensity and most people I spoke to, and the 2 in our party say it comes back, one day you are fine, the next day you have arthritic like pain or sensitivity. Also the swollen ankles and feet were a problem for one for about 4 weeks after and still are on the odd day.

These are my observations and experiences of chik, I am not trying to scare anyone just inform them that they need to be aware.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon stefan » Do Jun 22, 2006 21:15

like to have some more info, about the person who die on chick only.
thanks
stefan
stefan

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English