Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

mosqiuto,s

for our english speaking user.

Mosquito Problem or Not ?

Beitragvon Mack UK » So Apr 16, 2006 16:31

Has anyone returned from West Coast near Flic n Flac - just what is the real situation regarding the Mosi problem ? :he()

Mack UK - Keen Traveller
Mack UK
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon anet » Mo Apr 17, 2006 17:22

We spent 3 weeks in March in North of island and just used insect repellant day and night time, carried it with us when going in sea etc, also had plug in repellants in hotel room. We hardly got bitten only about 3 bites which was probably at night time. Got bitten more in antigua year before. Not a problem also plenty of insect repellant in Super U super market in Grand Bay. Probably more problems in the really poor areas with little or no sanitation. Our hotel regularly fogged the hotel grounds. We hired a car for 8 days and travelled all round island and spent day on beach at flic and flac and had no probs. Would not worry just enjoy your hols.
anet
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Mack UK » Di Apr 18, 2006 12:07

Thanks for your reply - I'll just take reasonable precaution with mosquito repellent.
Very much looking forward to visiting Mauritius. Anyone who has any info on "must do" excursions / day trips etc gratefully received.
Also any info on the Sofitel Imperial Hotel near Flic n Flac where we are booked mid-Sept this year. We are flying with Air Mauritius.
:-)
Mack UK - Keen Traveller
Mack UK
nouvo
nouvo

January 2007

Beitragvon Yoshemi » Di Mai 09, 2006 14:00

Hi guys
Just wanted to get some comfort re this chikungunya virus. I am getting married on the south coast in January next year (I know its months away!) and my 8 month old niece is flying out from the UK. What are people's thoughts on this? Her safety is the most important thing and although it's only May now, I am very concerned. From what I've read here it'll probably be ok but most of the kids mentioned are around 4 yrs old.

Any ideas how I can get more facts on this before I speak to my family?

Thank you!

:he()
Yoshemi
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon truevoice » Di Mai 09, 2006 18:20

Best to be cautious as true figures not readily available.ALOT more people have caught the virus than is officially declared!!!! Numbers reported take no account of FACT that alot of locals do not necessarily report cases to hospital/Dr. I have family/friends who live all over the island and the news I receive is that alot of people are still catching the virus .But symptoms vary from mild rash/fever to extreme PAIN that last for weeks if not months!!! It comes and goes.

Furthermore, a considerable number of tourists returning to canada,France..etc..have caught the virus...so goverment claim that no tourist have caught virus while on holiday in mauritius should be taken with a pinch of salt.

But things are not as bad as Reunion Islands where death toll reached 203...official figures!!! Mauritius may also have death cases that may be chikungunya related that have been wrongly classified...

to reduce the odds of catching virus best to turn up winter season when mosquito count much lower..and use lots of cream...take care
truevoice
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Yoshemi » Mi Mai 10, 2006 12:16

Thanks for that!
Really am not sure what the answer is but am leaning towards not taking the baby! :O)
Yoshemi
nouvo
nouvo

Chikungunya

Beitragvon scotsista » Sa Mai 27, 2006 21:47

Hi there

I'm interested to know if you have any more recent info on Chikungunya. My husband, myself and our 5 month old daughter are due to go to visit family in Mauritius on 2 July. We are very concerned about the health risk to our daughter and have decided not to take her so sadly both her and I will be missing out on a big family reunion. Interested to know of other's opinions/knowledge of the virus.

Angela
scotsista
nouvo
nouvo

more info

Beitragvon truevoice » Mo Mai 29, 2006 13:53

Hi ,

recently there was an article in http://www.lexpress.mu/an online mauritius local paper stating that Chik problem was hitting hospitality industry not just interms of guest arrivals but staffing!!!Up to 30% of staff were off sick as a result of chik...so reading between the lines the virus is still not under control!!!! Although the official figures show a drop in cases, I doubt it is significant..your chances of catching it would be still relatively high if you go to the wrong places without proper precautions/protection.

Also an article in New Scientist journal, hinted that the Virus in Reunion has possibly mutated into a more deadly form. Unlike previous outbreaks in other parts of the world there have been significantly more deaths.

Keep an eye on the paper occassionally you may get a little insight as to what is happening. But general everyone is worried for the economy there and talking down the problem.

Not trying to scare you needlessly but I genuinely believe that the risk is significant and unless you have to be there I wouldnt go until all clear.

It only takes ONE bite from an infected mosquito , statistically one mosquito will bite 7 people a day!!!!!! I've read some articles from other travellers saying they've taken there child and its ok and then they got only few bites compared to other places in the world but do you want to play russian roullette with your health?!!!
truevoice
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon stefan » Mo Mai 29, 2006 18:28

truevoice, i'm sorry i can not share your view!
your information’s are very old and not even true.
look at this topic http://www.info-mauritius.com/forum/ftopic2441.html and try to translate it with Babel fish> see right button to translate.
a lot of Germans came down here, where this topic been very hot and they say, do not worry and do not miss your holidays!
what is a better source, then from people who been here.
I’m living here with my family, 3 year 9 year and my wife and me and we are fine. we did and we still do a normal live, then anybody else here on the island.
what the press say's is not true and what the government say's is not true.
chick is still here, but much much less now, as we are in winter time. we need to see what is coming in summer time.
but still, it's not the tourist who is in "danger", it's the general population.
the hotels protect there environment so well, that some tourist do not even see a mosquito.
the government works on the problem, so that it does not get a epidemic.
but the result of this effort we will be only see, at beginning of summer, where we get a much higher mosquito population then in winter.

chick, is not danger’s to human, so that you will die from it.
that nonsense!
it's a painful virus, but where mostly, people recover in a week.

so please get the facts and not the nonsense about it.
regards
stefan
stefan
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon truevoice » Di Mai 30, 2006 13:41

Very Strong language accusing someone of lying, I can back what I am saying with facts!!!! Can you find counter evidence to suggest I am lying or is it just Denial and ignorance speaking!!!!

Yes, the hotels are much more protected/safer...I didnt imply they weren't
Yes,its the poorer regions that are affected most...where the everyday people and hotel workers happen to live!!!

Yes, I agree that people are not shutting themselves up in fear but are getting on with their live...no choice mauritians are resilient and pragmatic..where can they hide?!

I do not disagreed that winter should DECREASE levels of mosquito..but the point is that it doesnot guarantee not being bitten.Mosquitos, as anyone living in mauritius will confirm are a year round pest!!! But recent figures suggest that it is far from under control although hotel areas are being sprayed else where they not getting same level of treatment hence mosquito population still maintaining a strongholds ready to cause new flare up of chikungunya cases!!!

Oh, I have very close contact with mauritius, and those travelling to the island and I DEFINITELY know whats happening there!!!!!!!!!!

As for no deaths from Chinkungunya, I suggest you all read thise articles
published in reputable scientific sites:

http://www.pasteur.fr/actu/presse/press/06Chik_Ehtm.htm

http://lionel.suz.free.fr/index.php?id= ... hikungunya

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9324

Also I quoted "New Scientist" magazine Journal, you are wellcome to check my quote that they suspect that the virus has mutated into a more dangerous form. I believe article is is April or May edition!!!!

Oh as for article in L'express.mu with regards to effect on tourism and staffing levels...I cannt find the article but I am sure someone must have read it and I stand by my comment. I believe it was posted a week or two ago!!!!

I am sure it will convince any one of sound mind that DEATHS are occuring as a result of Chickungunya direct or indirect. I do not suggest mass deaths in the magnitude of Reunion is occuring in mauritius but I know of cases where the cause death is definitely related to chikungunya...and if you accept the fact that Reunion island has had 203 deaths + or - it isnt surprising !!!!!

I rest my case and leave it to you all to decide who the misinformed is.

All that I am trying to do is to give an honest picture of what to expect atleast you can weigh up risk for yourselves rather than be blinded by lack of information available.

I am not by anyway advising everyone to avoid the island just to be very careful and not underestimate the risk !!!!
truevoice
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English