Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Le Morne in the Long-Term

for our english speaking user.

Le Morne in the Long-Term

Beitragvon morry27 » Di Jul 10, 2007 2:24

Hello,
Great and helpful site.
Does anyone have any information on Le Morne, the actual village, (between Le Morne Brabant and Baie du Cap) as opposed to the peninsula and resorts//apartments on the peninsula and in La Gaulette?

I am planning a long-term stay, and Le Morne (the village) is ideal for a number of reasons. How often do long-term rentals open up in this area? How far in advance should I begin my search in this particular town?

morry27
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon thermo » Mi Jan 02, 2008 19:20

It is a fishing village with fairly low income/poor residents. No idea how the locals will welcome a foreigner as neighbour, or how well you will fit in.
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Leroy » Do Jan 03, 2008 14:28

Yo Morry, Thermos view is rite, .....Quiz is : Have U any "Local friends" there in area...??
I´ve been fishing there several times wiv my bro in law, and my advice and hope is, that first,
if ever U have Mauritius people near U there , ask them , and they will show U maybe place to stay....Generally : Fishermen here are
very nice guys mostly...!!!

Wiv Regards, Leroy
Leroy
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Beitragvon morry27 » Di Feb 05, 2008 7:11

Thank you both so much for your response.
I've decided against Le Morne for the reason that I will not have my own car and will be relying primarily on the bus system (unless I gather up the courage to purchase a motorbike) and Le Morne, I think, will be too far away from the places I need will need to be most often. Having said that, I've refocused my "location search" on the west coast from Pointe Aux Sables to Tamarin. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where would be the best place for me.

I will need to get to Reduit and Rose Hill frequently so something with a reliable bus route passing through to those locations would be good. I don't mind a commute but nothing over an hour. Ideally wherever I end up would have a grocery store and a maybe a low-key bar in the general vicinity. While I'm not much of party-person it would be nice to have a place to go once in a while in walking distance (15-20min tops) for a drink.

what do you all think? is flic en flac my only option?
thanks!
morry27
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Di Feb 05, 2008 14:30

Hi morry27,

I would have thought Tamarin might be a good compromise between vilage life and travelling distance to Reduit/Rose-Hill (just less than 1 hr). I doubt it's got a good pub though. You might end up drinking beer standing outside a Chinese storekeeper's heheheh

Flic en Flac is quite dense and populated now but at the same time, all this development have brought facilities around. So you'll be able to get everything easily and it's like 30-45 mins to Quatre Bornes and another 15 mins to Rosehill.

1hr is not really that bad compared to the 2hr trip that I had to do for a year when I did my placement in a remote sugar factory in the South East part of the Island. You'll get used to it.

Hope this helps

udester
ud
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon thermo » Mo Feb 18, 2008 20:36

Do you really need to live so close to the coast?
Have you experienced the traffic jams at peak hours in the larger towns and roads leading to them, even at 7am?

My suggestion to you would be to find somewhere cheap in the region of Moka or St Pierre. Moka is getting more expensive, but nowhere near as much as the touristy coastal areas. Both are within quick commuting distance of Rose Hill & Reduit, and have reasonable bus links to the western coast (Flic en Flac or Tamarin) and if you want some night life, you can easily get to Port Louis or Quatre Bornes, or even Coin Ideal in Rose Hill if you are feeling courageous (or nuts).
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English