Webcam Mauritius
Weather Mauritius
  Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery
Mauritius Accommodation
Mauritius English Home

for our english speaking user.

Postby ud » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:53

Hi as promised, I've been surfing the web and collecting information from a few websites which advise people on the best places to visit in the different parts of the island. All information/pictures might be under copyright laws and will be properly tagged under courtesy in due time.
We will start with the Eastern regions as a response to one of our forum questions from somebody coming to visit the island for 2 weeks. I'm hoping to fully update these regions by Tuesday or Wednesday. The format is gonna be - Region-> Ups-> Downs->Places of Interest-> Information-> Pictures-> Activities e.t.c

Any advice/recommendations to help improve this section are welcome!

Easility accessible from the Airport and is only a 20 mins drive. Wonderful Eastern Coast with lots of activities to do. Catamaran excursions, undersea walk, snorkelling, parasailing, golf courses are the things you can't miss!

Due to the high winds and rough seas, organised activities are done only in 4 places, along the coastline, at Pointe de Flacq, Palmar, Belle Mare and Trou d'Eau Douce. Dives are very often weather-dependent and during winter, high tides and strong winds in the region may not be the best conditions to dive. Visibility may vary.

1 - Ile aux Cerfs

It is a paradise for water sports and has the most beautiful beach in Mauritius. You cannot afford to miss this tiny island, delicately poised on the ocean, a real pearl in the Mauritian landscape.

2 - The Waterpark Leisure Village

Enjoy unforgettable moments sliding on the giant chutes, with family or friends. Relaxation and pleasure guaranteed.

3 - Flacq Market

Flacq is one of the most important villages in Mauritius. This meeting point for inhabitants of the East boasts the country’s largest open air market. The extremely colourful market attracts a large number of people.

***Awaiting Pictures***

3 - Dutch Ruins

At Vieux Grand Port, the oldest settlements in Mauritius, you can see the ruins of the first Dutch fortifications. Excavation work is underway in a bid to uncover an important part of Mauritian history.

4 - Ile aux Aigrettes

Owing to the remarkable work accomplished by the Mauritius Wildlife Fund, the island has become an international standard for the protection of natural resources and endangered species. A few of the world’s rarest birds, including the kestrel, can be seen there. You can also discover the extremely rare Pink Pigeon, the Green Gecko Phelsuma and the Aldabra giant tortoise.

moris forum membre a'élite

Info Mauritius Annonce

South East of Mauritius

Postby MmeTortue » Sun Jun 29, 2008 15:01

Dearest Ud,

Great job! Hope you don't mind if I add some more information and even disagree with one of your statements:

There exists another Diving School and Place in the South East. It is attached to the Hotel Preskil in Mahebourg, however operating independently. Some of my friends went diving with Tony (by the way a Mauritian) and his team and they were enthused to be able to 'visit' some of the French derelicts of 1805 that are still on the bottom of the sea in the lagoon at Grand Port.

I argue over your statement that Ile aux Cerfs has the 'most beautiful beach in Mauritius'. Yes, it is beautiful but cannot beat Pointe d'Esny if you ask me...

Last but not least I think the weekly market in Mahebourg also deserves to be mentioned. It takes place every Monday and is situated very close to the bus station directly by the sea - just beautiful! Even if you are not interested in buying anything: just take a stroll visiting the stands, watch people, listen to the shouts of the sales people, have some gateau piments or any other 'gajack' and enjoy!

Best wishes,

Mme. Tortue

Return to Mauritius Forum English