Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

malaria?

for our english speaking user.

malaria?

Beitragvon voirtoutenrose » Di Aug 05, 2008 9:49

Hi all,

I'm traveling to Mauritius in a few days, and I can't seem to get a straight answer on the risk of malaria on the island. I saw a post on this topic from a few years back, but I was curious for a more updated response.

What is the risk of malaria in Mauritius? I will be staying with a friend in a small, more central town, L'Avenir, Saint-Pierre (I think about an hour from Port Louis). I may also be traveling around the island. Should I take prophylactic medication or is mosquito-bite prevention sufficient?

I appreciate any help! Prompt responses are especially welcome, as I leave in a few days!

Thanks! :)

voirtoutenrose
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon stefan » Di Aug 05, 2008 11:00

voirtoutenrose, here is no Malaria, so don't worry about it.
but take some
mosquito-bite prevention, look at, Vape Mosquito Coils 10 and Vape liquid machine(you will get it in any store here) as mosquitos can be a real pain at night. bsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

:lol:
stefan
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon voirtoutenrose » Di Aug 05, 2008 13:18

Thanks for your reply! I don't know if the Centers for Disease Control (in the US) are just overly cautious, but they recommend medication if traveling to rural areas of Mauritius. I believe my friend lives in a fairly rural area? Also, I saw a map of the supposed malarial region in Mauritius (basically a big circle around the central regions), and it seems my friend's town is right on the border. Some websites say there's a risk, but you don't have to take the medicine. Ahh! I don't know if it's preferable to be cautious and take the medicine, but then deal with all of the crazy side effects, or to just make sure I don't get bitten by mosquitos? I trust you Mauritians when you say there's no malaria, I just can't ignore all of this conflicting info!
voirtoutenrose
nouvo
nouvo

@voirtoutenrose

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Di Aug 05, 2008 13:37

Hello voirtoutenrose - lovely nick!

You really don't need to be afraid. I live in Mauritius for 10 years now and the only Malaria cases I've heard of had been 'imported' from other countries. You might be interested to learn that there's a special unit of the Ministry of Health in Mauritius who visits those travellers arriving from Malaria endemic regions of the world one day after their arrival in Mauritius to take a blood sample.

It happened to me already several times when returning from Asia, and it shows that the government is really aware of the risk.

Generally speaking I think some of the US agencies are a bit over the top with their travel warnings. I remember seeing a warning not to go to Germany in the 80ies during the crisis with Libya.

Mme. Tortue (German by the way)
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon stefan » Di Aug 05, 2008 15:07

voirtoutenrose, as Mme Tortue said, this Malaria cases are imported.

why other webpages are not up to date, no idea.
i believe even the german government still advise Malaria prophylaxis.
it's nonsense really.
and i'm a old European too :lol:
stefan

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon Stony » Di Aug 05, 2008 21:31

Hi voirtoutenrose,

Why don't you check out the webpage of the WHO (World Health Organisation) recording all health incidents of more serious type. You can find the information about Mauritius here: http://www.who.int/countries/mus/en/

Again, I would not be concerned about Malaria.

All the best,
Stony
Don't Drink and Navigate! &
Skype don't type ;-)
Also - wenn Sie DAS Lesen können brauchen Sie keine Brille .......
Stony

Bilder: 27

Beitragvon ud » Do Aug 07, 2008 15:54

Hello people,

That's the website I was gonna post.

It's got Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response (EPR) so you can fully trust this source!

Thanks Stony for providing the link!

Best regards

udester
ud

Beitragvon Gerard » So Aug 10, 2008 11:59

It is actually winter time in Mtius and there are virtually no mosquitoes at the moment on the island. As mosquitoes are the vectors of malaria, the risk is therefore minimal or non-existant in august even in rural areas.
Have a wonderful time in beautiful Mauritius. Wish I was there now,
Best regards,
Gerard :cool:
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 139

@Gerard

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mo Aug 11, 2008 8:22

Hello Gerard,

Could you please tell those bloody Mosquitos disturbing our nights' sleep during the last two nights that they are not supposed to 'work' as it's still winter time in Mauritius? :wink)

Fact is - at least here in Mahebourg in the South-East - that as soon as the temperature rises the little beasts start to attack when the sun sets. While it is cold, rainy and windy - fine; however we had two very nice, warmer days and the flying bloodsucker brigade starting moving in again. We're always prepared with 'Family-Mat' or 'Vape-Mat' which keeps them away during the night.

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Mosquitoes

Beitragvon Gerard » Fr Aug 15, 2008 20:34

:flower2) Hi Mme Tortue, you are right and I remember that scenario very well when many moons ago,I lived in Mahebourg at La rue des Hollandais :cool: , I was born and brought up in that area.....My old dad used to blitz them with Baygon spray.... winter brings a bit of respite but as soon as it warms up, the little blighters come from nowhere!! their larvae must lie dormant until the temperature goes up.....I was in Mahebourg recently visiting some relatives and it was sunny and warm ( the cold front came 2 days after I left for the uk ).
One day I might come back permanently to my beautiful little island....even with it's mosquitoes :)
Bye 4 now,
Gerard :cool:
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard

Bilder: 139

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English