Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Looking at buying a used car

for our english speaking user.

Looking at buying a used car

Beitragvon Banker » So Aug 02, 2009 15:52

Hi Everyone. I shall be moving to Mauritius shortly and would be looking at buying a great condition second hand car. Incase anyone is interested or can guide me to someone who can help me, I would be oblidged. I would be more keen on a Japanese make

Banker
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon ud » Do Aug 06, 2009 15:31

Hello Banker,

Have you had a look at the Lexpress newspaper website?

http://www.classified.lexpress.mu/search/VE0-VO0-0-0-0_express_result

It's in French as it is a beta website at the moment but use babelfish to translate!

Regards

ud
ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Are there any tips on Buying a Used Car?

Beitragvon irene12 » Di Sep 15, 2009 13:54

What are some recommendations of things that I should look out for when buying a used car? I plan on buying a 2000 or less car hoping for a BMW or Toyota.
irene12
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Di Sep 15, 2009 15:15

Hi irene12,

I thought you were a car expert since you have 2 avatars linking to car sales. :lol:

Hmm that's strange - A BMW or a Toyota? It's like looking at the 2 ends of the prestige spectrum :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm not really sure if you're after a family car or what but I would personally go for a 2nd hand car bought from new from a trusted person.

Let me explain where I'm coming from.

1) Private vs Business Seller

I would personally not go for a Recon/2nd hand imported Japanese vehicle from a Business Seller. I strongly believe that what you're getting is a car which has done high mileage (although in good condition) and has had its meter fiddled with. They might look good in those showrooms, their price might be tempting but things will go wrong with them.
There are loads of Toyotas around, should not be too difficult to find a 2nd hand 1owner <2L one on the adverts e.t.c
As for BMWs, it's going to be difficult to find one under 2L. I think the 116i looks cool. Most of the saloons and series 3 (most common in Mauritius) are just over or more than 2L - well most of them apart from the odd 1.6 L.

You can have a look at Leal for BMWs, i would personally not go anywhere else (business-wise)

Leal Group

If you're lucky you can get a 1owner BMW but keep looking.

MAKE SURE THEY HAVE SERVICE HISTORY - proof for mileage

2) Toyota vs BMW

Toyota spare parts are more readily available and cheaper compared to the BMW ones. Well, I know I'm stating the obvious here but it's different in Germany :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lower insurance for the Toyota, not sure about the road tax.

Pricewise, again, a 2nd hand BMW will cost like 3 times the same spec Toyota Range but hey, you would still save up a drive a BMW wouldn't you?!?!

2) 3rd Party Selling

Well you need to buy a car model that you would be able to sell later. No point getting the latest BMW and end up having to ship it by boat to sell it....unless you want to lose a lot.

As for the Toyota, I'm not kidding when I say it's like the most common family/saloon car in Mauritius. There are loads of them and always a market for them. You'll always be able to sell them afterwards; the BMW not so easy.

Well that's all I can really think of at the moment.

Good luck finding your car.

Kind Regards

ud
ud

Re: Looking at buying a used car

Beitragvon billyjacob60 » Fr Jun 25, 2010 19:09

I have nothing against Japanese cars but if you can have a good deal with other name why not. Try to look around the internet for second hand cars in Mauritius. Surely they are already using the new technology in selling and buying like the online shop. There are lots of pre-owned cars there so you can surely find the one that suits your taste.
billyjacob60
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon nancystewarts » Do Jul 08, 2010 22:50

Hi, I hope you will have a safe trip to Mauritius.. You can search on online classifieds for the main time since it much more safer and convenient. You can as well compare prices and after you choice whats best for you then you can set up a time to each the car and the seller. I got my car with this method.. [biggrin]
nancystewarts
encor Basic
encor Basic

Re:

Beitragvon wickus » Fr Jul 09, 2010 8:29

ud hat geschrieben:Hi irene12,

I thought you were a car expert since you have 2 avatars linking to car sales. :lol:

Hmm that's strange - A BMW or a Toyota? It's like looking at the 2 ends of the prestige spectrum :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm not really sure if you're after a family car or what but I would personally go for a 2nd hand car bought from new from a trusted person.

Let me explain where I'm coming from.

1) Private vs Business Seller

I would personally not go for a Recon/2nd hand imported Japanese vehicle from a Business Seller. I strongly believe that what you're getting is a car which has done high mileage (although in good condition) and has had its meter fiddled with. They might look good in those showrooms, their price might be tempting but things will go wrong with them.
There are loads of Toyotas around, should not be too difficult to find a 2nd hand 1owner <2L one on the adverts e.t.c
As for BMWs, it's going to be difficult to find one under 2L. I think the 116i looks cool. Most of the saloons and series 3 (most common in Mauritius) are just over or more than 2L - well most of them apart from the odd 1.6 L.

You can have a look at Leal for BMWs, i would personally not go anywhere else (business-wise)

Leal Group

If you're lucky you can get a 1owner BMW but keep looking.

MAKE SURE THEY HAVE SERVICE HISTORY - proof for mileage

2) Toyota vs BMW

Toyota spare parts are more readily available and cheaper compared to the BMW ones. Well, I know I'm stating the obvious here but it's different in Germany :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lower insurance for the Toyota, not sure about the road tax.

Pricewise, again, a 2nd hand BMW will cost like 3 times the same spec Toyota Range but hey, you would still save up a drive a BMW wouldn't you?!?!

2) 3rd Party Selling

Well you need to buy a car model that you would be able to sell later. No point getting the latest BMW and end up having to ship it by boat to sell it....unless you want to lose a lot.

As for the Toyota, I'm not kidding when I say it's like the most common family/saloon car in Mauritius. There are loads of them and always a market for them. You'll always be able to sell them afterwards; the BMW not so easy.

Well that's all I can really think of at the moment.

Good luck finding your car.

Kind Regards

ud

They might have the Toyota Spare Parts in stock but they don't know what to sell you.

Even the most simple parts they are not able to determine (talking about PKL or however this spare part shop is named)
My headlights were burnt I went to that shop asked for them, he couldn't help me, I went back to the car, got the papers of the car and he told me he needs a sample of a bulp. I just thought f... off I am not coming back.
Was also at Toyota in PL, he wanted to send me to Curepipe or Vacoa because they didn't have this simple and one of the most important parts.
Then a colleague of my wife told me he has a lot of lamps for Toyota (without looking what lamp I need - even I had an exact idea of how the lamps are looking like)
But better was the spare parts shop in Beau Bassin not far from KFC, he wanted to sell me a whole front light.

But now I don't wonder why people driving around with full far light when the normal light is burnt. They just don't get what they want. [biggrin]
wickus

Bilder: 0

Beitragvon Johnlewis82 » Do Nov 11, 2010 15:43

I am looking for a second hand car with less mileage. Please suggest me a good option and let me know which car a better option to go with. Can anyone suggest me a used car dealer in Mauritius?
Johnlewis82
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon AcidCars » Fr Nov 19, 2010 23:14

Hi, I'm moving on the Island and will need to buy a used Jeep.
Does anybody have any tips on this? Or know where to start looking at?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
AcidCars
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English