Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery
Mauritius Accommodation
Mauritius English Home

Living in Mauritius for 6 months

for our english speaking user.

Living in Mauritius for 6 months

Postby Natasha » Wed Jun 20, 2007 20:26

Hi Everyone!! What a great site....I am British Mauritian living in London, aged 26. I am coming to Mauritius in August for my cousin's wedding but have the idea to stay for 6 months, to live the life there. I have a law degree and want to know whether it will be easy to get some work for about five months....
Also, will I need to get a work permit? Will MCB need to see a work permit to open an account for me (don't think so as my parents have accounts there). How much can I rent a decent apartment for with my partner (also British Mauritian). Or any general tips would be great!! I have been to Maurice many times, but now I want to try the life there, and try to improve my French as it's not great!

Any advice would be much appreciated Merci!

Info Mauritius Annonce

Postby ZahoOL » Fri Jun 29, 2007 18:12

Hello Natasha,

It all depends on what type of jobs you are looking for. Due to the fact that you will work only 5 months (approx.) , I personnally dont think you will be able to work in any law related job unless you want only to have a work experience with any law firm.

In Mauritius we dont have NI (National Insurance Number) , so its pretty easy to be allocated a job based on a contract.

Concerning bank accounts , why dont you use your Visa/Mastercard?

Appartments , which region you are looking into?

The best way to have a glimpse of the mauritian culture is to go to any mauritian parties or fairs : u will sure hear loads of creole and french :)
KotZot - Mauritius Friends Network
moris explorater
moris explorater

Return to Mauritius Forum English