Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Language

for our english speaking user.

Language

Beitragvon phoenix » Do Apr 12, 2007 11:10

Hi There

I wondered if any one can advise me. I am hoping to relocate to Mauritius in the next 6 months and want to learn the language. I know English is one of the official languages and I speak that fluently but I need to know would it be better for me to learn French or Mauritian French. I have done some research and see that there are many differences between the two.

I will be working in the "corporate" world and don't want to offend Mauritians by speaking the "wrong" type of French

Thanks!

phoenix
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon Werner » Do Apr 12, 2007 12:19

Well...:
I think,you gotta understand both.
Speaking.?
It depends on the level of people you live with...( in your job )

Regards.: Werner
Münzen + Scheine von Mauritius

http://www.mauritius-tipps.de/werner/index.html
Werner
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 74

@phoenix

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Do Apr 12, 2007 13:57

Hello phoenix,

'pas cass ta tete' which is kreol meaning don't 'break your head or brain'. Where you're working everybody will understand English and the best way to learn Kreol is here in Mauritius.

By the way: are you aware of the fact that your nickname is the name of the local Mauritian beer? Not a bad start at all...

Best wishes,

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Language

Beitragvon phoenix » Do Apr 12, 2007 15:27

Hello Mme. Tortue

Thanks for the advice - and my first Kreol phrase! :lol: And you are right ... it's a good omen having the same name as your local beer!.

Have a good day
phoenix
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Do Apr 12, 2007 19:08

phoenix,

You will catch up on both. You just need to listen to people a lot and participate in their conversations! They speak french in big businesses (considered as a courtesy language) and Creole.

Note that Mauritian Creole, also called Morisyen, is a creole language or dialect from Mauritius. Almost all of its vocabulary stems from French, with smaller numbers of words from diverse sources such as English and Portuguese.

Even when being a Mauritian, and having studied both of the languages up to now, I must admit that my French is not perfect. Some words in Creole just pop out from my mouth now and then after speaking in French after 15 mins or so on a slip of the tongue. That's inevitable as both languages have so many words in common that your brain sometimes tries to roll back on your mother tongue.

Well the thing is that my friends and I really enjoy playing pranks or annoying the bloke among us who has just mispronounced a word....although I dunno why we do that! But it's really bad manners to laugh at someone who has done a mistake in pronounciation!

Take Care

udester
ud

Beitragvon phoenix » Do Apr 12, 2007 23:01

Thanks Udester

I have decided that the best thing to do is to learn French as a basic and then I can learn Creole just listening and learning from the locals......and probably give them hours of entertainment as I try to fit in!

Thanks for your help!
phoenix
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Do Apr 12, 2007 23:14

Wise choice....

Take Care

ud
ud

Info Mauritius Annonce