Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

HoneyMoon in May 2005

for our english speaking user.

HoneyMoon in May 2005

Beitragvon sonychano » Sa Okt 16, 2004 21:13

Hello, We're from portugal and we're thinking on having our honeymoon in the beginning of May 2005 in Mauritius Islands. Can anywone give us opinions about about the weather on May(it's rainy days??), the culture, palces to visit, the local people, transportations, if is expensive (i.e.: how much it costs a dinner in € or Dollars), in resume, everything you can tell us about the island.
We want to enjoy the much as we can our honeymoon.
We see that a portuguese coupled already put a message like this, but in a different time of year. Portuguese couple or any one, can you help US?

Thks
Chano and Sónia
:ploppop

Totil
sonychano
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

too much information

Beitragvon francois » Mo Okt 18, 2004 16:08

Where do you want to stay? In a private holiday house or in a hotel?

It would be too much information to write down here, please invest some money in the Mauritius-guide by lonelyplanet: Travel Guide Lonely Planet

You get it over Amazon and for me it is the best guide ever!

Francois (who got married over there)
francois
servi souvent moris forum
servi souvent moris forum

@Chano and Sónia

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Di Okt 19, 2004 8:29

Hello,

Francois is right, you should buy a guide and I would also recommend you read through several topics here to get more information.

As for the weather May is a good month. It's not as hot as in January/February but still warm, and the cyclonic season is over. There may be local showers - there always are, that's one of the reasons for the islands lush vegetation.

Mauritius is multicultural. You will find influences of indian, african, tamil, chinese, european... cultures. Places to visit also reflect this variety of cultures and so do the people. Just come and enjoy!

Best way to get around is by taxi. You don't have to care for driving on the left or looking for a safe place for parking. The drivers are used to wait for you - even if you decide to stay at a beautiful beach for one or two hours. Negotiate the fee in advance.
Don't miss a tour by local bus. This is the best way to meet Mauritians and to experience the way of life outside your hotel.

Dinner starts at 4 Euro in places where the locals eat, restaurants designed for tourists are more expensive of course. Be careful when ordering wine. This beverage is imported and might be the most expensive item on the menu. The local beer 'Phoenix' is excellent and then there are of course a variety of cocktails and drinks based on the local 'Rhum'.

Have fun preparing your trip and your wedding!
Mme. Tortue (how do you say that in Portuguese? Tartaruga?)
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon sonychano » Di Okt 19, 2004 14:31

OK, you gave us a great help.
We're thinking on staying in the Le Coco Beach Hotel. From what I see in the Net, it's a great Hotel.
- Tell Us a little more about Mauritius. We can loan horses for a ride on the beach?
- Can we sail with turtles (yes, it's tartarugas in portuguese :wink) )?
- It's a dangerous country?

We need to decide on two places: Mauritius and Maldives, but we're statring to stay very keen on with Mauritius.

thks by the advices
:ploppop chano and sónia
Totil
sonychano
nouvo
nouvo

again Mauritius

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Di Okt 19, 2004 14:54

Glad to hear my comments have been helpful. I've never had the opportunity to visit 'Le Coco Beach' but you're right. Everybody says it's a great place. I don't know if there are horses on the beach. I only know that Maritime Hotel owns some horses. Maybe someone else here can answer this question?

You can sail with dolphins and of course - there are also turtles in the sea but they don't seem to be as convivial as dolphins or whales (the latter are not to be seen in Mauritian waters).

Mauritius is not dangerous, there are places where you shouldn't hang around after darkness fell, but I guess they exist everywhere in the world. Petty crime is rising unfortunately, so keep you belongings close to you and don't wear to much jewellery. I live here now for seven years and never had any problems (knock on wood!).

I've never been to the Maldives but I've heard that the sea and the beaches there are among the most beautiful in the world. I've also been told that culture and site-seeing-wise Mauritius has more to offer.

Best wishes
Tartaruga
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon sonychano » Do Okt 21, 2004 12:25

Hi again,
I take the advise from Francois and already went to amazon and brought the book he told.
Tell me Mme Tortue, you're a ??taxi driver??. COOLLLL!!
In Mauritius, people acept Euros (€) or just Dollars and the Mauritius coin.
Can we use Debit Cards (Cirrus) to lift some money.
Whats the most common language in Mauritius, Frensh? (Nous parlez au francais aussi :wink) ).

Well, this starts to be like in the inquisition time. Questios, questions,questions... :-D .

My true name is Feliciano (Nick = Chano) and my bride is Sónia.
I'm a European and Nationd Computer Project Management and Sonia is a Adminitration Secretary. We 28 and 27 years old.

OK, now you know more about Us.

Well, I'm gonna work 'cause here is 9:30 AM

Kisses and Huges from SonyChano
Totil
sonychano
nouvo
nouvo

ah, the horse is back...

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Fr Okt 22, 2004 13:29

with yet another bunch of questions... :wink)
Hola Feliciano and Sonia!

No, I'm not a taxi driver but work for an international publishing house from my office at home, if I'm not travelling visiting my customers. My recommendation to take a taxi is based on my very own experience as a tourist here (that was eight years ago when I met my Mauritian husband while on a holiday). It's much more relaxing to be driven than to drive yourself, in addition most of the drivers know the island really well. If you don't want to visit any shopping malls etc. (where they might get a commission dragging you in...) just tell them in advance.

Currency in Mauritius is the Mauritian Rupee, the Euro is much more popular than the US $ (don't forget our neighbour island Reunion is a French Overseas Territory hence part of Europe), Cirrus and Maestro tellers/ATM's are everywhere. Ask your local bank at home how much they will charge if you use this service.

In Mauritius everybody speaks a French based Kreol, French is second best option and English third (although it is officially the admin language).

By the way: I'm German and 252 years old, which is still youngish for a turtle...

Bisous
Tartaruga
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English