Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Holiday

for our english speaking user.

Holiday

Beitragvon louisewebber » Do Apr 03, 2008 12:44

Hi,

I am coming over to Mauritius on Sunday for a holiday and have been reading all sorts of information about how expensive the place is - sun cream etc. Is this true or is this just hype? Do I have to exchange money before I arrive or can I just change some in the airport. Do I have to be careful of scams ? Are people going to try and rip off tourists there? I am so happy I finally found a forum that people use I have been looking for about a month and couldn't find one!

Thanks Lou

louisewebber
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon thermo » Do Apr 03, 2008 13:57

• Tourist gear tends to be expensive, and the price also depends on where you buy it. (Large supermarket near touristy beach area will be more expensive than one inland). If you can get a Superdrug special, buy that sort of thing in the UK before you go.
Is this just hype? You pay around £1.50 for a 1L bottle of water near Buckingham palace vs. £0.50 in the newsagent on Dudley High Street. Is that hype?
• You will get a better rate if you bring pounds and change them in the money changers here - which are available around the island. Remember that the rate is negotiable and you do not have to accept the rate displayed on the board. This also brings other issues as where to stash your cash while you are there. Another bit of bad news is that the pound has tanked around 20% vs. the Mauritian rupee, so it might not be as cheap as you think once you get there.
Are people going to try and rip off tourists there? Seriously, what do you think?
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon louisewebber » Fr Apr 04, 2008 20:27

• Tourist gear tends to be expensive, and the price also depends on where you buy it. (Large supermarket near touristy beach area will be more expensive than one inland). If you can get a Superdrug special, buy that sort of thing in the UK before you go.
Is this just hype? You pay around £1.50 for a 1L bottle of water near Buckingham palace vs. £0.50 in the newsagent on Dudley High Street. Is that hype?
• You will get a better rate if you bring pounds and change them in the money changers here - which are available around the island. Remember that the rate is negotiable and you do not have to accept the rate displayed on the board. This also brings other issues as where to stash your cash while you are there. Another bit of bad news is that the pound has tanked around 20% vs. the Mauritian rupee, so it might not be as cheap as you think once you get there.
• Are people going to try and rip off tourists there? Seriously, what do you think?

Thanks for your reply thermo. Each country is different - I've travelled a lot and some countries are not as greedy as others. I was wondering if Mauritius is especially steep - £20.00 for suncream sounded ridiculous to me, but I've not been there so have no idea yet.

Thanks for the tip abut money changing.

I think that of course they are going to try and make as much money out of tourists as possible - but it was more a question of how careful and guarded do you have to be - it's nice to have a bit of an idea before you arrive.
louisewebber
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon mempep » Sa Apr 05, 2008 8:55

You can change money at the airport - all the reputable banks have counters as you come out of customs. Been there many times and the rates at the airport are as good as anywhere. Also you can go into most banks and exchange as you go or use the exchange houses. Tip ask for some smaller notes when you exchange. They tend to give 1000rupee notes and you will need smaller notes than these for most transactions so get some 100 and 500 rupee notes.

Yes, many will try to charge you more than you would otherwise pay. Taxis particularly and you can negotiate.

Check some supermarket prices to know what you should pay. Most local shops charge a local price however I did come across one opposite a hotel which seemed to try to charge about 3x usual prices to hotel patrons.

Bottled water is very cheap. Beer and rum also very cheap. Food at a lot of eateries is reasonably priced.

Be careful of pick pockets around the markets - but this is no different to markets around London for example. Try not to wear expensive jewelry as a safeguard. Keep valuables in a safe where you are staying. If you do these simple things there is less likelihood of a problem and in most hotels there is pretty good security. It is not likely you will have a problem as it is generally a safe place to be but you can sometimes be unlucky - as you can anywhere.

I hope you get to read this before you go.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon louisewebber » Sa Apr 05, 2008 12:11

Hey - Yes I did get to read it before I've gone. Thanks for your advice. It is so useful to know about the money at the airports and Ill remember to get small notes. Thanks
louisewebber
nouvo
nouvo

Once more!

Beitragvon Leroy » Mi Apr 09, 2008 20:32

So, check guidelines of exchange:

www.mcb.mu
www.servihoo.com

Mrupee is such a "strong" rite now.... ( Of course if U have Euros, which rock´n´roll rite now) change them :)

Leroy
Leroy
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English