Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Help before I book please!

for our english speaking user.

Help before I book please!

Beitragvon cher » Do Jan 14, 2010 2:48

Bel ombre, cyclones etc

Hi everyone,

Not sure if I am doing this correctly so apologies if not (first forum I have joined). I am looking to book a holiday to celebrate our silver wedding in Mauritius and Dubai, leaving the Uk on approx 23rd jan 2010, for a 7 night stay in Mauritius followed by 3 nights in Dubai. I was ready to book ( found a hotel - Tamassa near Bel Ombre) and the snow came to the UK cutting us off from civilisation. As a result the holiday is ready to be booked (if the snow thaws here) however people have now told me this is the worst possible time to come to Mauritius because it will be unbearably humid and its cyclone time. I have found conflicting advice everywhere and thought it better to ask Mauritius itself. Can you or anyone else give me any advice please? I don't want this holiday ruined by a cyclone etc, but wouldn't know where to look for correct information. If it will be the wrong time to come now we will have to look elsewhere and come to Mauritius in the future.

Hoping you can assist.

cher
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Help before I book please!

Beitragvon nypy » Fr Jan 15, 2010 3:38

there is allways little possibility of cyclone in their summer time, but i.
but much more it's possible of earthquake in almost any other place, where is warm this time year....well perhaps australia is not so bad, and then snakes, political problems, etc etc,
you just go mauritius and join your holiday, with out thinking more about cyclone or other, because there is not those other ones......;)

if you are near beach, it's not humid, as it's in thailand or that kind of countries and it's not to hot, "only" 28-32 celcius, but sea is cooling air there, because it's small island

and what you was speaking about snow..........

Bild

and in day time

Bild
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon cher » Mo Jan 18, 2010 18:54

Thank you Nypy, are you resident in Mauritius or just a visitor?

I have looked at various sites now and thought that maybe it would be better if i booked on the west instead of south west as that seems to have less rainfall. Snow has gone from here now (nothing like your lovely photos!), but more is forecast for midweek, so won't book until after that!
cher
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Gerard » Di Jan 19, 2010 0:39

Hi Cher,
I do sympathise with you about the weather we are having here in the uk as i do live in the Durham area......thanks God all the snow is nearly gone now as we have had enough of it. I originally do come from Mauritius but i have lived in the Uk for 37 years. In my opinion, the west side of the island is more protected against the trade winds and it also rains less in that area. It is usually sunnier in the Flic en Flac and Le Morne area but it is about 2 degrees warmer than in the north and east of the island. I personally go to the island every year for my holidays but i do prefer to go in october when it is still a bit cooler at night and when there isn't a threat of cyclones. I always stay in the flic en flac area for the reasons mentioned above. I am sure that you will still enjoy your holiday at the end of this month but you will need air conditioning in your bedroom as it will be rather warm at night. You should also get appropriate mosquito repellent creams or lotions which will be useful at this time of the year.
Have a lovely time in beautiful Mauritius,
Gerard [cool5]
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard
servi souvent moris forum
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 139

Beitragvon nypy » Di Jan 19, 2010 3:25

hi Cher

just a visitor, but know little about mauritius.

i am planning to go there in 2 weeks.

here is site, where you can see cyclones in that area:

http://www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropica ... latest.gif

and here you can see old and coming cyclones

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/La_Reunion/#
and there link: Saison cyclonique en cours

but now there is none, it will take normaly days or weeks to rice up and come to mauritius, as you see cyclone Cleo, it was moving allmost 2 weeks, but didn't came to mauritius. they are normaly starting many thousands of kilometers from mauritius and they are not moving fast, even the winds can be fast inside cyclone.
and allmost allways they are coming from north east.

but local people can tell, when was last time, that cyclone was over mauritius, how many years ago?
side winds there can be more often, but not tropical storms, my last visit was 3 days in 3 weeks, when we couldn't go fishing out of mauritius, but we had good time inland............. :wink)
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon cher » Mi Jan 20, 2010 20:05

Thanks very much am just about to call the travel agent, so hope for the best, am really looking forward to it, so thanks again for your assistance.
cher
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Matt » Sa Jan 23, 2010 3:44

Hi Cher. I live in the uk and go to Mauritius every 3 years, usually December into mid-January. I`ve been doing this for nearly 20 yrs and in all that time have only ever seen the tail-end of a cyclone that didn`t actually hit the island but remained out at sea. It was no worse than a windy day in Cornwall ! I wouldn`t worry if I was you, the weathers ok in Jan, although I`m sure you`re aware that its the rainy season so you`ll encounter a shower or two.

Enjoy....wish I was going !

Matt.
Matt
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English