Info Mauritius        
Travel Info Mauritius

Webcam Mauritius

Weather Mauritius
  Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Guide to Electrical Standards in Mauritius (based on EU)

for our english speaking user.

Guide to Electrical Standards in Mauritius (based on EU)

Beitragvon ud » So Mär 09, 2008 17:00

In reply to a question with regards to Mauritius power standards for domestic appliances and American appliance compatibility, the answer is NO!

Within the European Community (on which Mauritius is based on) the mains voltage is currently 230V +10/-6% (50Hz) between the LIVE and the NEUTRAL terminals, together with a separate protective EARTH terminal.

In USA two live (hot) wires each separately provide 120 volts (60 Hz) relative to the neutral wire and go to wall outlets to run low power devices (lights, TVs etc.). In USA permantly wired power hungry devices like electric stoves, water heaters and some air conditioners which require 240 volts are connected across the two live or hot wires. In the rest of the world various supply schemes are employed, ranging in voltage from about 100V to around 250V.

When connecting equipment to outlets on different country you need to check the voltage available before plugging the device in. Usually different countries have different types of electrical outlets so uusally you can't plug your equipment in without a suitable plug adapter. But when thinking of using a plug adapter, be sure to know what you do so that you don't try to plug an equipment to a wrong voltage outlet. This means that when appliances made for use in North/South America (for 120V AC) are plugged into a 220-240V outlet, the universal motors in many appliances go faster than it was designed to, damaging or destroying the appliance. Also the equipment that are designed to heat something will heat up at much higher power than they are designed to meaning damage to the device. Devices with electronics in then can also be severely damaged because much higher voltages than they are designed to gets to the device. Depending on the case 120V AC equipment plugged to 220V will cause burned fuse and/or severe damaged equipment.

If you are bringing equipment from USA to Mauritius, remember the following things:

First: The 220/240 - 110 Volt thing. Most equipment which is destined (or orginates from) the US, is dedicated 110VAC stuff. This means you will require a step-down transformer, in order for your equipment to operate correctly at 220-240V AC voltage.
Second: The US uses 60Hz mains frequency. This MAY be a problem, depending on how smart the manufacturer is. Many US manufacturers (and far fewer Japanese manufacturers) employ power transformers which will only operate satisfactorily on 60Hz. When operating at 50Hz, they will often exhibit various problems, which may or may not be objectionable. If your equipment has mains voltage operated motors, the frequency difference usually causes lots of problems.

Mauritius socket types are C and G

http://kropla.com/!c.htm

http://kropla.com/!g.htm

If you survived this and want to read more:

Found this article from the web: http://www.epanorama.net/links/wire_mains.html

All rights reserved

udester

ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon Jeppo-baci » Mi Mär 12, 2008 10:59

Thank you so much... You are fantastic... Not that I understand what you posted (electrical things and me does not goes well together...hahaha)

It look like I have to sell our 2 Plasma TVs, 2 computers, no bringing Dryer and dish washer... Man ! what else ???
Jeppo-baci
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ud » Mi Mär 12, 2008 14:23

hello again,

People who have MONEY and PROPERTY shouldn't worry as much as you!

Well just sell everything on Ebay and make a bundle!

These are readily available here. The plasma TV, dryer and dish washer might be a little bit more expensive though unless you buy them at our supposingly Duty Free Shop (which surprisingly costs more when it comes to alcoholic drinks and chocolate)!

Computers might cost u about the same price but maybe less coz there are do duty stamps on them.

Good Luck

udester
ud

Beitragvon kantor » Mi Mär 12, 2008 23:55

Laptops from the US can be used if their adapter is good for 100-250 V and 50-60 hz which is common for laptop adapters as they are designed for travelling. The plug can be converted.
kantor
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon Jeppo-baci » Do Mär 13, 2008 20:58

well.. the thing is we don't have money (haha)
Just lucky that the company give us a good deal in order for us to move out of the US !

The reason I need the dryer is becoz I don't want to hang the cloths piece by piece. And the company will pay all the moving cost for us so I guess I could bring anything I want... (if I am going to buy "new" there it will be on my own expense)

To sell all this new TV we just got for less than a year is a pain. Who is going to put $1000 cash for 2nd hand TV while you can get a brand new one at $2000 with 24 months interest free from all the store!!! (you know what I mean)

BTW . Is there anybody know how much is the dryer? ( I know I sound like an idiot but it I think i need the dryer.. hahaha) :Q
Jeppo-baci
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ud » Fr Mär 14, 2008 17:01

Jeppo-baci hat geschrieben:The reason I need the dryer is becoz I don't want to hang the cloths piece by piece. BTW . Is there anybody know how much is the dryer? ( I know I sound like an idiot but it I think i need the dryer

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm not sure if you are a dryer maniac or somebody who relies on technology to stay alive but I've found a link for you

http://www.courtsmauritius.com/product_ ... SCAT=Dryer

400-500 USdollars when converted.

"I don't want to hang the cloths piece by piece". THAT WAS THE FUNNIEST SENTENCE THAT I'VE HEARD FOR A WHILE...........

Hope this helps and that you feel relieved after this. I can't really think of anything more to help you :Q

Take Care

udester
ud

Beitragvon Jeppo-baci » Fr Mär 14, 2008 22:32

Thank you ud. It' s really helpful.... i:()
Jeppo-baci
encor Basic
encor Basic

Re: Guide to Electrical Standards in Mauritius (based on EU)

Beitragvon bobsansmal » Di Feb 24, 2015 15:23

I have some fairly basic questions:
First, are there any good books detailing the electrical standards used in home wiring for Mauritius?

Next, my in-law's house has some funky wiring in it. I'm used to U.S. standards. There's a red and black wire coming in from the main. I assume that the red is the line and the black is the neutral - is this correct?
No where is either of the lines coming in connected to the Earth, and the grounding bar in the breaker box is really really small (it can accommodate 4 wires I think.) Should the Neutral be tied in to Earth
(like it would be in the U.S.)?

Also, both the lines coming in, the Hot and the Neutral are on breakers. This would never be done (afaik) in the U.S. so I'm worried that something is going on here that I'm not understanding.

thanks,
Bob
bobsansmal
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Titus » Mi Feb 25, 2015 15:19

bobsansmal hat geschrieben:.... This would never be done (afaik) in the U.S. so I'm worried that something is going on here that I'm not understanding.

thanks,
Bob

Yes BOB, it is really the case !
And I would suggest that you call an Electrician - or somebody who might understand it better than you do, before you'll touch a cable (of any colour) !
Sorry, I won't try to help out here with comments, suggestions & explanations: its just to complicate to teach reading & writing to an illiterate thru the internet !

And you are litterarely an illeterate on AC-Electricity. So better: call one of your neighbors, or a professional, he'll fix it, before you'll get a stroke !
Titus

Bilder: 2

Beitragvon AlexisnaveCA » Di Nov 24, 2015 16:29

The Electrical Engineering Laboratory is equipped to carry out tests on electrical materials, products and other electrical appliances for various clients including Ministries, importers, power utilities and manufacturers. :wink)

The Laboratory of Electrical Standards in Mauritius specializes in carrying out tests on Electric Power Cables and Automotive Batteries. Safety tests are performed on electric cables. Automotive batteries are tested for their performance characteristics on the request of retailers. The laboratory also conducts verification of certificates for electrical products like Residual Current Devices (RCDs) and Electric Water Heaters in view of ensuring public safety.
AlexisnaveCA
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English