Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Freediving in Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Freediving in Mauritius

Beitragvon freediver » Sa Apr 30, 2011 4:16

Hi All

I'm heading over to Mauritius in June for a wedding and would love to be able to do some freediving while I'm there. I've looked around on the web and have found countless dive centres in Mauritius, but as yet haven't found one that offers freediving courses or training. Does anyone know of any freedivers in Mauritius? With the number of scuba diving instructors on the island, there must be a few who freedive even if they are not certified with and agency. Any ideas?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

John

freediver
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Freediving in Mauritius

Beitragvon dunno » Mi Mai 04, 2011 8:31

Hi John.
Local SCUBA Instructors don't have a interest in "Apnea Diving", the basic reaction is "why do you want to hold your breath when you can scuba", also, "free diving" no money in it, a SCUBA dive goes for 35-40 euros, they're in it for the money and "free diving" is well free, (pardon the pun). I was toying with the idea of setting up a apnea dive school affiliated to a SCUBA centre, not much interest expressed in that by the locals either. Some of the locals say that they have free dived to 30 odd meters but always decline my invitation to dive with me, do pool statics, basically not interested.

Prevailing winds are easterly, the eastern side of the island has rough seas. The north west and western side of the island has calmer seas more suitable to apnea. Flic en Flac is perfect for "free diving", open, deep, and calm seas, but...Not much fish life as the locals decimate the nurseries of anything that moves, occasionally some rays and scattered tiny shoals of fish.
There is a wreck called "Tug-II" that can be visited near the shore line at 21m but unfortunately it's right in the water lane of the speed boat operators, swimming out to it is doable but dangerous due to all the props in the water, hiring a boat or tagging along with a scuba session is the safest way of getting there, but you're on your own once in the water.
The amount of speed boat traffic is unnerving and they don't pay attention, as far as THEY are concerned THEY have right of way, and what do you think you're doing in the water...

I apnea dive off "Falaise Anna" at Flic en Flac, it's easier to access "Two Cannons" and "Tug-II", but do so on my own, basically just play as I can't push my limits due to no safety diver.
I would suggest you hire a boat, go to flat top island and do some snorkling/free diving there, there are fish to see and little boat traffic.
dunno
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon freediver » Fr Jun 03, 2011 0:35

Thanks for the info dunno!

I'm going for 2 weeks. In my first week I'll be on my own and staying in Flic en Flac. I might get to go out on a boat a couple of times with another freediver living there - her name is Marie Cartwright. I think she is looking to start an apnea dive center there in future, which would be great for freediving in Mauritius. On the days that I don't dive with her, I'd like to explore on my own and maybe dive those spots you mentioned. Where is "Falaise Anna"? I looked on Google Earth but couldn't find it. If you feel like joining me for a dive, I'll be there from the 16th to 30th of June.

In my second week a friend of mine will arrive and he has a boat, so I'm hoping to get out into some deep water and do some +60m dives, but I'm a bit worried that this won't be possible because of the current. Will see!
freediver
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon grasslizard » Fr Jun 24, 2011 19:18

There will be a freediving event in Flic en Flac this Sunday 26th June.

The day will include an Intro to freediving, a chance to give it a try, and a scuba dive to watch John dive the Cathedral.

Please call Tim on 917 six 535 for more details.
grasslizard
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon grasslizard » So Sep 18, 2011 13:49

We now have a website for anyone interested in Freediving in Mauritius: apnealogy.com
grasslizard
nouvo
nouvo

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English