Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Freak Waves in May

for our english speaking user.

Freak Waves in May

Beitragvon johno2004 » Do Jun 07, 2007 19:49

Hi,

We visited Mauritius fot the first time in May ( Won't be last!!!! ) and during our stay on the South of the Island we encountered some very large sea swells that came to within 6ft of our terrace on seafront room and let me tell you it was quite daunting given the problems on that dreaded day on 26th Dec.

We found it hard to get any explanation to what was happening from the hotel staff, so was wandering if someone could explain as we understand there were fatalities involved, ( our deepest sympathys to the familys involved ).

Thanks

Chris

johno2004
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon Gerard » Fr Jun 08, 2007 2:50

Hi Johno
My understanding of this unusual phenomena is that the freak waves were due to the combined effects of a deep depression to the south of the mascarene islands associated with a strong anticyclone which was also prevalent at the time. The combined effects of these weather systems caused huge swells which affected all the islands in the area, unfortunately causing loss of life to some fishermen and coast guards. My deepest sympathy goes to the families affected and I do hope that adequate help ( both psychological and financial ) will be given to these people in their time of need. It is true that the weather is changing worldwide and we are probably now feeling the effects of global warming!!!
I do hope however that this will not deter people from visiting Mauritius as these were freak weather conditions which are relatively rare.
Regards,
Gerard :cool:
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 139

Beitragvon ewa » Fr Jun 08, 2007 13:59

Hi Johno,

have a look here
http://www.info-mauritius.com/forum/sut ... html#28802
and you will find some explications and even some more information.

have a nice day
ewa
Schmerzen lindern O H N E Chemie
-------------------------------------------------
wer nicht reist, kann nichts erzählen
ewa
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 317

Beitragvon Titus » Fr Jun 08, 2007 20:02

That were no Freak waves (that mount up to 35 meters) and it's quite common in winter time to have high waves coming from the South West, though they had been stronger this year than ever been recorded in the last decades.

They are caused by some depressions / storms a few thousand kms away in the south-west, somewhere in the triangular around the Kerguelen, Antarctica and South Africa.
Titus

Bilder: 2

Beitragvon Gerard » Fr Jun 08, 2007 21:47

Sorry to disagree with the last post, I lived on the island for 23 years and even if the sea becomes quite agitated and choppy in the winter months it is extremely rare for waves of that size to affect the Mascarene islands in an event other than during a cyclone. Anything which is way above the norm in these circumstances qualifies as "freak ,unusual weather"
Regards,
Gerard :-)
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard

Bilder: 139

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English