Webcam Mauritius

Weather Mauritius
  Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Flying to Mauritius - which airline?

for our english speaking user.

Re: Flying to Mauritius - which airline?

Beitragvon JoKi » Mo Jan 10, 2011 16:00

Hi Stony,

Stony hat geschrieben:I just came across an interesting article about Air Mauritius:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201101070673.html

thanks for sharing!
The article was also published in L'Express last week. I had a good laugh!

Cheers, JoKi

Cheers, JoKi
JoKi
mari bon connaisance lor moris
mari bon connaisance lor moris

Bilder: 1

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon ud » Mo Jan 10, 2011 16:46

This has got to be the funniest thing I have read in the last decade.

What a great eye opener. I haven't had that series of unlucky events with Air Mauritius but I do hope that experience never happens again.

ud
ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon thermo » Di Jan 11, 2011 0:56

ud hat geschrieben:Hello,
1) Air Mauritius

They are 'ok'. Flights from Paris can be packed, but from London, they tend to be empty so you can have a full row to yourself.

ud hat geschrieben:2) Air Emirates
Pros: Best service I've found. You get to travel through Dubai. Not sure if you can do duty free shopping there but if you can then that's a bonus.

It depends, Emirates tends to have lots of staff turnover, so you sometimes fall on someone who is 'not sure what to do'. There is no VAT/TAX in the UAE, so the 'bargain' prices you pay there have no opportunity for tax refund. i.e: Dubai/UAE is a rip off, even more so in 'duty free' airports. Dubai airport is usually heaving with people, so best avoid if you find too many people in an enclosed space irritating.

ud hat geschrieben:3) British Airways

They are 'ok'. Legroom is scarce. If you travel at the right time, you might get an empty plane and choose your own row.

ud hat geschrieben:4) Air Seychelles
You are obviously stranded in a paradise island while in transit to another paradise island but the thing is you want to go and visit but you can't leave the terminal.

If you've had the blessed opportunity to pay for 'non-resident' accommodation or transport in Seychelles, you would not use the facile term 'paradise' in its description! (well, if it's any comfort, I object to it's use applied to Mauritius for various reasons) Basically, they won't let you leave the airport without a hotel booking there.

ud hat geschrieben:6) Air France
Avoid like the plague, that's all I've got to say.

I have nothing good to say about them either, except if you are price concious, then they (usually) provide the cheapest flight from Europe, with a stop in Paris. If price is your up-most concern, then there will be nothing valuable in your checked in luggage for which you will receive the equivalent of 4 gato-piment in compensation when it fails to arrive at your destination, nor when they refuse you boarding on a technicality (without refund!). I say this in all politeness; every last one of them at Air France is an a$$hole.
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon dunno » Di Jan 11, 2011 19:13

I agree, avoid Air France and the most confusing airport in the world which is Charles de Gaulle, also, if you have the joy of flying into the other most confusing airport in the world which is Orly Airport good luck to you in trying to figure out the transfer by bus from Orly to CDG, even the french get confused and lost in either monstrosity, the check in staff suck, case closed.

AIr Mauritius is ok, as are British Airways and Condor, but it also depends on the cabin crew of the day, bit of a lottery really, sometimes the cabin crew care and other times they don't. The food is generally of the same standard across those three in cattle truck (economy class) it's the same "cattle feed" rearranged differently, "chicken or beef sir" goes the pan faced chant, it isn't a gourmet's delight but it kills time, and perhaps occasionally a passen.............................
dunno
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon karly » Di Jan 11, 2011 23:06

And, after all, what was the choice?
[biggrin]
karly
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ud » Mi Jan 12, 2011 19:36

karly hat geschrieben:And, after all, what was the choice?
[biggrin]

We took a boat instead. We made sure we avoided the Somalian waters but arrived a month late which meant that we only had a few days left and had to head back.

[blum1] [pardon]

udester
ud

Beitragvon Matt » Mo Jan 31, 2011 0:17

Regrettably, having flown with Air Mauritius since 1993, I have to say that the whole Air Mauritius experience has gone downhill in my opinion. They have re-configured the seating in the new Airbus`s, in as much as they have squeezed more seats into economy. At 6ft 2 ins tall, I had a very uncomfortable 12 hours from Heathrow to Mauritius at the end of Nov 2010, plus there was no choice of main meal, except take it or leave it. When I`m being stung to the tune of nearly £1000 for a ticket I at least expect a bit of comfort in my seat and a reasonable meal.
Interestingly I spoke with a number of Mauritian friends and relatives about this, and many of them have abandoned Air Mauritius and use Emirates, an airline which provides a far superior service and usually cheaper too.
In my opinion, Air Mauritius have become too complacent and need to raise their game considerably. My trip back to the UK a fortnight ago was just as bad.
My next trip will definitely be with Emirates, despite the stop-over in Dubai.
Matt
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Re:

Beitragvon ud » Mo Jan 31, 2011 11:49

chino hat geschrieben:Damn, i have just booked an air france ticket return for £250 (inc taxes) but it sounds like i should have not! :::(

Mark

Bloody Hell £250 return to Mauritius? When where? I don't care if I'm sitting on one of the wings at that price.

Give me the link please?

ud
ud

Re: Re:

Beitragvon seashore » So Feb 06, 2011 2:44

ud hat geschrieben:
chino hat geschrieben:Damn, i have just booked an air france ticket return for £250 (inc taxes) but it sounds like i should have not! :::(

Mark

Bloody Hell £250 return to Mauritius? When where? I don't care if I'm sitting on one of the wings at that price.

Give me the link please?

ud

Yeah, how did you manage to find a $250 return ticket? I've never seen anything less than $600, and I thought that was a steal. Was Air France running a special? If there's a crazy promotion going on, I want in.
seashore
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ud » So Mär 13, 2011 10:21

Hello

I have recently flown with Emirates on the 2nd of March from Newcastle UK to Dubai, then Dubai Mauritius and can say that my experience with this airline has been fantastic.
Although the price was a bit higher than Air Mauritius (40poundsterling), it cost me 680 pounds. I wanted to go through Dubai as I had never been there before and wanted to experience the so well talked about duty free shops.

They are one of the only airlines nowadays who are lenient on baggage allowance. They allow 30kg cabin and 7kg hand luggage allowance. That was great compared to the 23kg restrictions on the other airlines.

They dispatch an Airbus300 from Newcastle to Dubai which was rather full. I had the last seat on the plane 38B and had no complaints there. The arrangement was 2-3-2 The inflight entertainment system was great, they had the latest movies. The air hostesses were really helpful too.The seat arrangement offered enough leg room and there were no disruptions at all. I would rate the service for this flight very highly. The flight lasted around 6hr1/2 and there were no delays.

My Dubai to Mauritius flight was on a Boeing777-300 and this was even better. The plane was only half full of people and I had a nice pair of seats for my own to cuddle with plenty of leg room. Sat completely at the back, the arrangement was still 2-3-2. Other couples had the whole 3 seats for them. The flight was 7hrs due to delays at Dubai. Apparently there are loads of 3am flights and we were delayed having to taxi for 30 mins but we still made it to Mauritius with 15-20mins delay. Again, the service was great, the food was fantastic (2 options) and I was very happy with choosing this airline.

I always choose back seats as you are:
1) near to the toilets and don't have to walk long distances to reach there
2) near to the hostess area where you can easily top up on drinks and snacks
3) have a 65% more chance to survive an airplane crash.

I am now going to travel back and hopefully things should go the same way. So far I have now decided that I would choose this airline over Air Mauritius, Air France, Virgin or British Airways definitely.

Let me take this opportunity to talk about Dubai. I only had 2hr delay between my connection flight and it was a very long walk (30mins) from terminal 3 to terminal 48. One needs to be careful not to indulge in the so many duty free shops and let the time pass by as you might miss your plane! I was not impressed at all with the Dubai duty free shops as the prices they quoted were near to extortion to be honest. You could get some better deals outside the airport at what they call "souks" if you want to buy gold and other jewellery items or even any goods Dubai is well known for. One other thing to be noted is that most of the staff employed there are Phillipino and to be perfectly honest and unbiassed, as a "milate" or asian coloured skinned mauritian citizen, I don't think I was given the attention I requested when looking at goods for purchase. In fact I found their attitude quite racist and arrogant towards asian looking people which is quite surprising because they also look just like us! So like I was saying, the whole duty free thing looked just like a scam to me. I don't know what you people think about it, maybe you could share some experience and let me know what goods might be worth buying from Dubai Duty Free shop. Fair enough, the good deals are in the market place but I can't be asked to get a visa to stay there.

I'll update this post once I travel back and have the time.

UPDATE

I flew back on the 15th of March with them and again had no complaints. The only downside was a delay at Dubai because the entertainment system and seat adjustment system on one of the Airbuses were not functioning properly. I don't think any other airlines would have bothered. So another plane was quickly dispatched and after an hour delay we were flown back. I think we got some extra skywards mileage bonus compensation for the hassle.

I have recently returned to Mauritius and flown with Emirates again. This time I could not get the seats at the back and then again was very happy with the flight and service. I strongly recommend Emirates from January to April because they come the cheapest at this time of the year. then I think Air Mauritius follows after that time with some deals throughout the year. I mean if you are flying from Europe to Mauritius. I have now saved enough points on Emirates to either upgrade my next travel to business class or buy an item off them by using my skywards rewards.

May I take another opportunity to speak further about the Duty Free shops at Dubai and Mauritius. You need to be really careful and check the prices carefully. Travel with a mini calculator and have the currency rates of the Dinar vs your currency vs the US dollar in mind. It is a complete rip-off. Don't get me wrong you can save a few dollars here and there on some specific items e.g. a few spirits (like whisky, wine), cigars but it ain't that much as they claim it to be a duty free paradise. Don't be duped to buy something simply because your name will be put on a lottery to win $10000000 or a luxury car as it only counts per purchase and if you think about it, the probability of winning is probably the same as the probability of the British giving us the Chagos archipelago back by snatching it from the Yanks which is 1/10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!

Now then, let's talk about the Mauritius Duty Free. Let me make an analogy here: You have a consortium of 4 main hypermarkets and 50 main electronic companies in Mauritius importing stuff in bulk and selling it with a reasonable profit margin vs the Mauritius Duty Free selling a few bits and bobs of electronics (not even the latest technologies) at duty free taxes. There ain't that much difference really. The wine will cost the same, the whiskey will cost the same, the Ferrero Rocher chocolate will cost the same when you compare them with big hypermarkets deals. Even with the electronic gadgets, the duty free shop offer you 1 year guarantee only! Now then my friends would you not prefer to spend a few dollars or a few Euros extra to get 3 year warranty from the Electronic representative in Mauritius (e.g Phillips by Ireland Blyth Limited [IBL]). Does it not make sense to you?

Look I'm a Mauritian and this is what I've noticed so you've got to trust me on this. Does anybody else agree with me?

Kind Regards

ud
Zuletzt geändert von ud am Sa Mär 26, 2011 10:21, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
ud

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English