Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Fishing n other stuff

for our english speaking user.

Fishing n other stuff

Beitragvon Davey G » So Jun 05, 2011 21:42

Howdy all, I did write an intro and when I posted it I managed to save a draft instead and now lost it [lol] , so rather than get in a daze I thought I'd just get on with my questions [wacko]

I'm in staying with family near Mahebourg later this month and I'm absolutely desperate to catch something fishy whilst I'm there. The plan is to pop lures on the surface and cast diving lures from the shore for anything that may bite. Hopefully I'll also get out with a local fisherman to fish the other side of the reef for GT's.

What would be really cool would be if one of the more seasoned forum members and experienced anglers could offer some (any) advice to a nutty carp angler from the UK [good]

ta

Davey G [twiddle]

Davey G
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Fishing n other stuff

Beitragvon Davey G » Mi Jun 08, 2011 0:26

anyone [mocking]
Davey G
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon leftright » Do Jun 09, 2011 9:31

Anyone replies, (fishing experience, fishing for beer in the fridge).

Most of the Island is surrounded by a ring reef, within the lagoons there isn't much fish life as the indigenous will harvest anything that moves irrespective of size. The lagoons are mostly barren of fish life, most of the coral within the lagoons has been destroyed through dynamite fishing which was finally outlawed in the late seventies.

Mahebourg has a large river estuary, perhaps there are some fish there, but seeing as all waste is dumped in inland ravines by the MOE and then there are the upstream villages which also treat a river as a refuse receptacle, the river and estuary will be polluted. "Old Grand Port" or Mahebourg has a channel through the ring reef to the open sea, winds are predominantly easterly and south easterly during winter so seas will be rough on the windward side of the island. Blue Bay which is around the corner from Mahebourg is a protected reserve and fishing is prohibited within the reserve area. If you have good sea legs and you can find "a local" brave/skilled enough to take you out through the channel at Blue bay, go right , past the Shandrani beach and past the coast guard training centre until you get to le souffler area, note this is quite a ways along the coast, you'll come across areas which the locals don't frequent due to their inaccessibility and are more abundant with fish.

Expats don't venture out for deep sea fishing in the south due to the rough seas during winter, most of the deep sea fishing boat charters operate in the north west and western side of the island, Flic en Flac (leeward) has several deep sea charter operators, you can also hire a local fishing boat to take you out to potter about in the deep sea which is calm, if it's pelagics you're after I would suggest Flic en Flac during the winter season.

but hey, what do I know about fish, fish swim everywhere right ?, make the fish come to you, chum the water with your gf's panties, hang a line in the water, and hey presto something fishy will jump onto your hook [biggrin]
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon korn1 » Mo Jun 13, 2011 15:09

Hmmm don't bother within the reef,fish are probably the same size as the lure [biggrin] We went out and fished around Coin De Mire...caught nothing but we met some guys who caught a huge Dorado.
korn1
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Davey G » Di Jun 14, 2011 9:17

Thanks, I have snorkled on the reef and seen nothing bigger than the size of my hand, but would have hoped that there would be something feeding on them.

Anyhow I have been advised to go to Black River and if no luck there I will also try flic en flac before I travel to the north.
Davey G
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon islander » Mi Sep 07, 2011 7:51

hi mate, i used to fish along the coastline, east side mainly...have also a combination of fishing equipments...you can contact me if any...consultants at myt dot mu
islander
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon bobbyvelston » Fr Mai 18, 2012 13:18

Hi.., The information provided is very nice. Now I am enjoying the holidays so I am planning to go for fishing. This information is very useful. Thanks for sharing.
bobbyvelston
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English