Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Fishing kayak in Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Fishing kayak in Mauritius

Beitragvon spuggy » So Sep 21, 2008 21:56

Hi, I want to bring my fishing kayak (and possibly 3 or 4 extras) to fish off the coast of Mauritius. We fish about 1km from shore. What permits etc would I need? Is it recommended? Are there any other guys with fishing kayaks? Can you supply contact details of the relevant authority I should contact?
I thank you in advance.

spuggy
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon nypy » Mo Sep 22, 2008 0:25

hi spuggy

hear nice, but 1 km from shore there is 2km water, lol

i think , it's best to look where the reef goes and fish there, outside of reef it's impossible to fish, because the waves, normaly 2-4m and stream is strong and next land is madagaskar........

it's wise to keep water proof cell phone with you there and make a deal with someone, who have big boat and if needed pick up you out there

i think, that you don't need any permits there
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Beitragvon spuggy » Mo Sep 22, 2008 7:49

How far are the typical reefs from shore? Are there any reefs with flat water (no 2-4m waves)?
spuggy
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mo Sep 22, 2008 9:05

Hello spuggy,

Recommend you contact the Ministry of Tourism regarding permission, but I guess nypy is right. You might not need a permit:

http://tourism.gov.mu/

Nypy is definitely correct: Don't go fishing outside the reef with a kayak and even when fishing in the lagoon make people aware that you're out there. Before going out ask the locals about the weather; my brother-in-law is a professional fisher man and sometimes he just doesn't take the risk...

Have fun anyway

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon nypy » Mo Sep 22, 2008 16:24

hi again

normaly the reefs are few hundred meters from shore, at least in western coast, in eastern coast there is almost always too much wind and waves for kayak.
there can be several meters water in lagoons, but straight outside reefs there is very deep
but there is not reef all places and not much islands, from grand bay you can go by catamaran (1,5hours) to northern islands and there is nice places, but steams are strong, but coming to main island, or al least near of it.
i've been snorckling there and there is much different fishes in water deeper than 2 m and the water is clear, have some nice under water photos from there.

i've heard, that in south coast is someone , who is doing fly fishing there
and guiding customers too, but never been there my self, but next trip plan to go test it too.

if you are interested about big game fishing, send a private message to me, i can help you little

:wink)
nypy
content partagé
content partagé

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English