Mauritius Gallery
Mauritius Accommodation
Mauritius English Home

A few questions from a newbie

for our english speaking user.

A few questions from a newbie

Postby invicta » Thu Oct 22, 2009 16:17

Hi Folks,
My wife and I are ex pat Brits currently living in South Africa and are looking to move elsewhere. We haven't been to Mauritius yet and will come for a looksee before we make any decisions but before we go to the expense of a visit, I'd like to do some research and would welcome your comments and opinions on the following please.

We're both in our early 50s and in receipt of a smallish private income from early pensions. We also run a couple of websites that give us additional income and on top of that, I also work as a safari guide in various parts of Africa for 2-3 months a year.

If we do decide to live in Mauritius, we'll be buying a smallish home on a cash purchase without a mortgage. and we’ll need to have a good broadband internet connection available.

My first question is would we be eligible for permanent residency status and if so in what category?

Second question is if we can get residency, can we get it before we buy the property? I’d obviously be reluctant to invest money without a guarantee of residency.

Third question is that my (occasional) work as a safari guide obviously means I need firearms in my work. Whilst I don’t want to use them in Mauritius I would need to store them in Mauritius whilst I’m not working. Can someone please tell me if I'd be permitted to store these firearms either in my own home in a safe or in some kind of gunshop etc. The rifles are worth a small fortune so security is very important to me.

Fourth question is how is the crime situation over there?

I’m sure I’ll have other questions but that’s it for now and thanks in advance.

Info Mauritius Annonce

Postby ud » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:44

Hello invicta and welcome to the forums,

To answer your questions 1 and 2: Indeed there are a few options available for you to apply for residency. It's possible through the retirement scheme, investor scheme or RES scheme. These 3 seem to be applicable to your situation but I might be wrong, it needs more digging.

Luckily for you, there is a website from the goverment which gives you all the guidelines and forms you could refer to! If you follow this link, you'll be able to gather some important info:

3rd question about firearms: Well I've gone through the air Mauritius rules and regulations but can't make any sense out of it. First of all it says that Firearms must be declared upon arrival. Then it says Guns and Firearms are PROHIBITED IN THE CABIN but you can carry ammunition if it is properly secured e.t.c. It does not mention anywhere what are the ways of declaring guns. See the thing is that guns/ammunitions are not categorised as sport unlike in other countries and it is a hassle!

You can read the information from Air Mauritius

Your fourth questions is about crime rate. You can refer to the Foreign and Commonwealth website:

There has been some thefts with violence committed on tourists recently while I've been reading over the last few months.

Well that's about it really,

Kind Regards

moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Postby invicta » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:21

Thanks very much.

I already know about air travel with firearms as I do it very regularly, I really need to know what the laws are regarding owning and getting licences for firearms in Mauritius.

I'll look on the Gvt websites and that might give me a lead to the Mauritius Police dept.

Thanks again.

Return to Mauritius Forum English