Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Festivals in Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Festivals in Mauritius

Beitragvon mike@hibiscus » Di Jul 20, 2004 16:23

Hi all,

Does anyone here know of a comprehensive list including dates of all the festivals (religious / non religious) in Mauritius?

Thanks very much,

mikey

mike@hibiscus
moris explorater
moris explorater

Bilder: 51

Info Mauritius Annonce

Festivals in Mauritius

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mi Jul 21, 2004 7:50

Hello Mike,

Tricky question... the dates of most of the festivals change from year to year as well as the public holidays related to some of the festivals (the government needs to please all religious and ethnic groups however if every festival was a public holiday we wouldn't work at all... ).

By end of November / early December the festivals for the next year are known and I always rely on calendars bought in Mauritius.

There had once been a fantastic website http://www.holidayfestivals.com giving these details for every country including Mauritius, but somehow it disappeared...

Of course there also more local festivals which you will never find on any listing... and the Mauritian way is more or less to announce them one week in advance...

In August there will be 'La Vierge' on 15.8. celebrating the birth of Holy Mary, mother of Jesus and 'Rakhi' which is a Hindou festival celebrated within the families only, not publicly.

Cheers!

Mme. Tortue (Mrs. Turtle)
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon mike@hibiscus » Mi Jul 21, 2004 13:28

Hi Mme. Tortue,

Thankyou for taking the time to answer my question. i suppose it's a case of keeping an ear to the ground and finding out closer to the dates.. :-)
cheers,

mikey
mike@hibiscus
moris explorater
moris explorater

festivals for the rest of the year

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Do Jul 22, 2004 10:46

Hello Mike,

Just returned from my business trip and checked on my calendar which festivals will take place between September and December of this year:

Sunday 19 September: Ganesh Chaturthi
Tuesday 2 November: Commemoration of the arrival of the first indented Laborers
Friday 19 November: Divali
Sunday 14 or Monday 15 November: Eid ul Fitr (end of Ramadan); the date always depending on the visibility of the moon
Sunday 25 December: Christmas

This year many festivals took and will take place on Sundays... in Germany we call this 'arbeitgeberfreundlich' which could be translated as 'most favorable for employers...' :mad: grrrrrr

Best,

Turtle
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon mike@hibiscus » Do Jul 22, 2004 12:32

Thanks Mme Tortue thats great!.. I have a friend who has mixed religions in his family and is thinking of going to Mauritius. I will let him know what you have told me.. Your help is greatly apprieciated. hope your business trip was both joyous and productive.. take care.

mike
mike@hibiscus
moris explorater
moris explorater

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English