Mauritius Bilder

Mauritius Directory Hotel

ber uns

Kontakt

Feasibility Study about water

for our english speaking user.

Feasibility Study about water

Postby stefan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 21:41

i believe this could be some how of a interest http://www.info-mauritius.com/download/Supplementing%20water%20supply%20to.pdf
important the fact is that:
Average annual yield from the reservoir for period 1995 to
2007 has been 33 Mm3 or (91.1 Ml/day)
Prevailing demands are 38 Mm3/a or (104.9 Ml/day)

and in the "news of sunday" been a nice report to.
what voice out, that they only catch 1/3 of the river and then still losing 40 to 50% in the pipeline to the costumer.us).
thanks to to our neighbour who been searching for that info.

stefan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Feasibility Study about water

Postby JoKi » Mon Jan 10, 2011 15:56

Hi stefan,

thanks for sharing. That's a very good efficiency!
So, even that it rains, it doesn't improve the situation. Wonderful, at least Mauritians are able to surf on the streets due to blocked drains.

So long, JoKi
Cheers, JoKi
JoKi
mari bon connaisance lor moris
mari bon connaisance lor moris

Postby dunno » Mon Jan 10, 2011 18:49

The Rain chart on page 31 shows that the lowest water level for 12 consecutive years in M.A.V occurred during 1967 until 1979 where the level of the reservoir was 50% below the average seasonal mean, if that same weather pattern repeats itself then we are in for tough times ahead with regards to water supply.

Thanks for posting this stefan.
dunno
encor Basic
encor Basic

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:31

Well,

as everybody in Mauritius knows is the full water pressure (less than 1.5 bar) only available in the peak hours (usually in the morning and the evening) Thats why nearly every house has its own water tanks. This is to ensure that outside the peak hours one still can have a shower ...

The reason why they reduce the pressure is that most of CWA pipes are old and rotten and are leaking lots of water. Thus reducing the pressure to much lower levels reduces the losses. In October in the newspaper "The Independent" was a report mentioned that suggested that around 49% of the water is lost due to leaks in the pipes. So its not really a problem of the weather, its a problem of the CWA, a company fully owned by the government.

They simply have not repaired / replaced rotten old pipes since years. That's why we are now running into problems.
Gruss, Joe
-----------------------
Joe
moris forum membre a'élite

Postby ud » Wed Jan 12, 2011 19:30

I agree, the problem lies with poor management and if you read the news some of the top Central Water Authority people have been in the headlines recently and might have had a reshuffle up the job ladder when the company came under scrutiny. Surely, with the extremely high amounts we're paying for water and waste water, you would have expected a top service but no, they are not bothered.

I say get them pipes replaced ASAP and build a bloody dam or reservoir or whatever you want to call it in the North for bloody sake. How difficult can that be? There's plenty of land up there. The poor folks from the North seem to be suffering the most apart from Grand Bay where the tendency for CWA is to focus to keep the tourist village supplied.

We've got an empty Anjalay Coopen stadium in the North, use this as a water tank then, here you go this will solve it.

We should really invest in the desalination plant which had been mentioned on numerous occasions. How big the cost difference will be from replacing the old pipes and revamping the system compared to building this new plant. This is pioneer technology we're talking about and people in worst conditions are striving and living wonderful lives with no worries of a cut water supply or shortage. yes my friends I'm talking of the UAE and other Arab states where they pump desalinated water to the desert populated areas. Isn't that wonderful.

Sometimes I wonder if 49% of our water storage is getting leaked in pipes why do we have to pay extortion prices to the waste water authority? Let the CWA pay the WWA bills!

That was my rant but it should make sense I guess.

Kind Regards

udester
ud

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:32

Ud,

the problem with those pipes is not new. I'm here since 2003 and one of the first things I had to learn about,was that water is only available in the peak hours to minimise the losses due to heavy leaks. That those pipes are rotten is nothing new and an open secret amongst the Mauritians. Neither the current Ramgoolam nor the Berenger government before can say that they were not aware of this problem. One gets the feeling they both wanted to sit it out, until one finally gets the "old maid" card ...
Gruss, Joe
-----------------------
Joe

Postby seashore » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:06

They probably don't want to openly acknowledge it because then one of the governments would have to pay for it. It's a pricey project, but the longer they wait, the more expensive it will become. I guess it's just a matter of time before one of the two folds.
Chris Rogers / Expatriate Insurance Adviser
seashore
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Return to Mauritius Forum English