Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Entire island of Mauritius gets wireless broadband

for our english speaking user.

Beitragvon axel » Fr Jan 14, 2005 9:32

The 'CyberIsland' of Mauritius within the two next months is to become the first country worldwide getting a complete nationwide broadband wireless access. 1.2 million potential users will get connected to wireless internet at home, at work, at school or on the beach through a network of "smart antennas" with a wide range of coverage.

ADB Networks - a major independent service and support provider headquartered in Mauritius - is the main Internet Service Provider in the island state. ADB Networks has ordered the installation of the nationwide system from the Texan company Navini Networks, according to a statement from the latter company, issued today.

- Navini Networks provided us with a very compelling value proposition for our market, commented Rizwan Rahim, chief executive officer of ADB Networks. "With portable service for subscribers throughout the island, competitive pricing and plug and play as soon as the customer receives the modem, usually the same day that they order service."

The Mauritian company had looked at other high speed broadband options "and in our scenario, DSL and cable modem were not viable options," said Mr Rahim. "The rugged terrain of Mauritius requires a solution with no line of sight and cost effective deployment," he added. With the Texan nomadic broadband wireless access, "we can deliver broadband where it didn't exist, virtually overnight," Mr Rahim explained.

Roger Dorf, President of Navini Networks, shared the optimism. "With Navini's portable wireless broadband access, the entire island of Mauritius will now be completely unwired," he said. "In addition, they will be superbly positioned to take advantage of next generation mobile broadband wireless access, 802.16e-based WiMAX."

- This is the first step in bringing true portable mobile broadband wireless access to Mauritius, said Mr Rahim. "Navini's network provides instant high speed access to 1.2 million potential users and delivers unprecedented contiguous coverage of more than 100 square miles to meet residential, business and recreational needs of the entire island," he added.

The new wireless broadband technology solution is said to unwire Mauritius and to "benefit businesses, residences and tourists immediately." The Navini wide-area wireless broadband system is a Non Line of Sight (NLOS) WWAN solution powered by smart antennas. The technology provides a very wide range of coverage - several kilometres from the base station. With a zero-install solution, it takes little effort for the subscriber to get up and running.

According to Mr Dorf, "plug and play broadband access is the perfect solution since traditional solutions like DSL couldn't deliver a business case given the rugged terrain of Mauritius." He adds that his company will offer "complete and instant portability to keep subscribers connected anywhere" on the island.

source: Afrol news

Axel
Die Sonne scheint mir auf den Bauch - das soll sie auch (Heinz Erhardt)
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life (Monty Python)
axel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bilder: 5

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon mike@hibiscus » Do Jan 20, 2005 13:07

Yes axel this is very good for Mauritius.. our dail-up connection has been driving me insane! we have ordered 512/ADSL here and cannot wait for the day it arrives.. :-) Happy surfing!
mike@hibiscus
moris explorater
moris explorater

Bilder: 51

Update Required

Beitragvon Tropo » Sa Feb 25, 2006 10:29

This is an old post with very little feedback..

So, is this in service, up and running ,or is this another wishful thinking.. :mrgreen: as the DSL saga, that has been going on for the past few years on other Mauritian forums..?

Will, I be able to subscribe to the service and coonect with my laptop, when I visit Mauritius next..? and what is the cost..?

Thanks for your help.

Alex
Tropo
encor Basic
encor Basic

Bilder: 8

Beitragvon Bee » Di Feb 05, 2008 20:04

Hi there,
can anyone tell me if Mauritius has this wireless system in place and if yes, when was it done as this is an old post.
Also if you do have this wireless tech please someone give me a link to their website.

Thanks allot :ploppop
Bee
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ana » Mi Feb 06, 2008 10:51

Hi!
I do not have a link to their site but they usually have a representative standing outside Shoprite. The service is incredibly SLOW and terrible. We have DSL from telecom plus - seems to be the best one available so far on the island.
Ana
ana
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Bee » Mi Feb 06, 2008 12:44

Hi Ana
Thanks for you're response.
I know how you feel as also live on the West Coast in SA and have the same prob. in most towns.

:he() :Q

Bee
Bee
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon stone_rose » Mi Feb 06, 2008 13:10

BBC World did an item on Mauritius regarding WiMax with President Jugnauth claiming all the credit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/c ... 169467.stm
stone_rose
moris explorater
moris explorater

Bilder: 48

Beitragvon Bee » Mi Feb 06, 2008 13:29

Thanks Stone Rose
that link helped allot !!!
So basically you guys are battling over there.

Thanks again
Bee
:lol:
Bee
encor Basic
encor Basic

So Mauritius has 3G connectivity

Beitragvon funnybone » Mi Feb 06, 2008 14:00

so basically Mauritius has 3G/HSPDA and wimax towers, point of interest how much do they charge for wireless connectivity in Mauritius?

And is it available away from the tourist "hotspots", the reason why I ask is we are busy setting up wireless networks in South Africa without needing expensive towers etc. so we are always interested in what other markets are doing.
funnybone
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon kantor » Mi Feb 13, 2008 3:01

Nomad Wimax seems to cover only a few parts of the country:

http://www.nomad.mu/availability.html
kantor
content partagé
content partagé

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English