Weather Mauritius
  Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Entire island of Mauritius gets wireless broadband

for our english speaking user.

Beitragvon ud » Mi Feb 13, 2008 20:10

3 years have passed since this article was started!!!

So let's see where we are now:

1/ Wireless broadband is available but only for the NorthWest - Central parts of the island. It's easier to take a bus and deliver a letter personally to that person if you want to use this broadband service....but hey...atleast it's like our old 56K but without the cable! :O)

2/ ADSL++ 2MBps over phone line: Well, as our good old Telecoms and Technology Minister keeps boasting about how Mauritius has become a cyber island, I'll paint the gloomy picture and perhaps pop this straight into his head(if he has a brain) - A survey by an internationally recognised firm investigated the situation in Mauritius and concluded that Mauritius is "under the monopoly of Mauritius Telecom" and that other firms "don't even stand a chance" and the most important bit - that the prices for the packages are "more than 300% of what Mauritians should be paying". In other words, this sucks! rs6000 monthly for the supposing good ADSL 1 Mbps service. ~£100 pounds monthly!!!! ~150 Euros monthly!!! :Q :Q :beer) :beer)

3/Local Connectivity vs International Download Speeds: For the ADSL from Mauritius Telecom, it says 2Mbps local speeds but there is a BIG CATCH. One can only upload at 40KB/s maximum so we will never be able to use that. On the other hand maximum promised download rates have never been reached so all this is crap. :mad: :mad:

To conclude, Mauritius is nowhere near being a cyber city. The ministry need to do what their ancestors have been doing for some years, in other words, return to plough the land and plant sugarcane!!! Leave it to the youth and I'm sure the IT sector in mauritius will bloom!

Please Help Us!!!

1*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFE_(cable)

ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re cry for help :)

Beitragvon funnybone » Mi Feb 13, 2008 21:49

We are a south african wireless company, busy doing trials here in the rural community on a affordable wireless system.

Within a few months we should be able to offer trials in Mauritius since that is where we want to end up {surf in reunion is the dogs bollocks :) }

We will gladly partner with any potential partners in Mauritius to try and offer everybody internet connections, now I am not sure of the goverments telekoms act. but we will study it, obvious anybody with more info or contact details of the relevant people to talk to would be appriciated.

I will continue watching this thread for further developments
Just because you cannot hear them, does'nt mean that the voices in my head are not real :)

http://www.fullview.co.za
http://www.zagame.co.za
funnybone
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Mi Feb 13, 2008 21:58

I think Nomad is the only wireless broadband service provider and its service sucks. People have always been complaining about the download rates so go figure....

http://www.nomad.mu/
ud

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Do Feb 14, 2008 10:37

hello ud,

another remark on nomad: their service doesn't work in Mahebourg...

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon funnybone » Do Feb 14, 2008 12:44

lol seems that you guys have it as bad as we have it here in South Africa, our biggest problem is the cost of bandwidth and the state controlled telekoms monopoly.

internet connectivity is as important as water and electricity to a countries economic growth, and I wish that developing countries would see this and do something about it.
funnybone
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Do Feb 14, 2008 15:44

no worries, funnybone, my ADSL connection provided by mt is not only working very well but affordable.

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon Mountain Goat » Sa Okt 04, 2008 12:16

We will be coming as tourists to the south of Mauritius in December. Is there any advance on ADSL and/or wireless facilities?

Thanks....
Mountain Goat
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon lildevil13 » Mo Okt 13, 2008 20:14

Internet speed in mauritius is a joke to be called a cyber island and when you think about countries such as korea who has 1Gb/sec internet speed nowadays ! (not even need to mention about the new cyber city where all houses will be connected to really high speed internet)
Where im currently living, im struggling a lot accessing some webpages when my connection is capped and throttled to 512kbps ..
now i wonder how do people can survive with a 128/256/512kbps internet connection where mauritius telecom is constantly monitoring your bandwidth usage according to their "fair" policy.

anyway ... proud to be mauritian
:wink)
lildevil13
nouvo
nouvo

Speed

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Di Okt 14, 2008 11:32

Hello lildevil13,

No idea what you're moaning about. I've got an ADSL connection for several years now and I would be happy if I could think as quickly as it works :wink)

Mme. Tortue

not proud to be German but happy to live in Mauritius :lol:
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon Leroy » Sa Okt 18, 2008 20:11

Hi All !!

Very intersting to follow this topic, it´s been up year(s)...

Mostly this 512 ADSL( i´m using) is enough for everyday use,(email /bank etc) for me personally,.

..... but have to remember our youngsters, who need are bit more higher capasities for playing/videos etc....

In Europe(Scandinavia) there´s hard to find operator , who sells
less than 1 Mbit/s ADSL-connections, and price is cool ( About 18 Euros/month)...

For citizens education/ "global knowhow", my opinion is that government should be
do something co-oprational projects with ISP:s, and i don´t mean
that oranges NETpc, or something like that, coz that´s not rite way to
develop infrastructure for faster connections.....

With bitrates

Leroy ( worked 20 years in ISP/Operator in Finland )
Leroy
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English