Mauritius English Home

Dilemma

for our english speaking user.

Where would you like to live/work?

Mauritius
44%
Canada (in the mountains)
22%
I'm happy where I live now! (specify with a reply)
33%
Other (specify with a reply ;))
Keine Stimmen

Abstimmungen insgesamt : 9

Dilemma

Beitragvon Ken » Mi Apr 04, 2007 18:52

First let me start with the following:
"A dilemma (Greek δί-λημμα "double proposition") is a problem offering two solutions or possibilities, in particular two solutions neither of which is acceptable.
Let's first look at my problem. My problem is: I need a job and I prefer it to be anywhere else then Belgium. The 2 possible solutions are:
1: Dive instructor in Mauritius
2: Ski instructor in Whistler (Canada)

now what is the problem, if I choose option 2 I won't have a job till januari 2008 and I would need to save +-12 000€ before that time, meaning I would have to get a shitty job for 9 months.
If I choose option 1 I would have a job by june 2007 but that would rule the possibility for becoming a ski instructor at Whistler out till januari 2009.
If i choose option 2 I could go to Mauritius and work as a dive instructor by june/july 2008.

You see where I'm getting at? So, give me your reasons why I should choose which one ---> Mauritius vs. Whistler / Dive instrutor vs. Ski instructor / Snow vs. Sun / White beaches vs. Powpow...

I wanted to share this here, not because someone here can make the decission for me, but because I'm curious what the reactions will be and what people will give as reasons for choosing one or the other. :wink)

Ken
moris explorater
moris explorater

Bilder: 3

Info Mauritius Annonce

Dilemma?

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Do Apr 05, 2007 8:18

I wish I had your problem... :wink)

Just take one step after another: start with the diving job in Mauritius. If you don't like it you know what else you can do... If you like it just do it until 2009 and think about it again.

So many things will happen between now and 2008, not to speak of 2009, your options might change alltogether.

Give you an example: in 1996 while living and working in Germany I had to chose between a holiday in Barbados or Mauritius, and the only reason why I chose Mauritius was because the hotel was close to the sea, while you had to take a bus from the hotel at Barbados to the beach.
In Mauritius I met my (now) Mauritian husband and the rest is history...

Greetings from lovely Mahebourg!
Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon Xray Specs » Do Apr 05, 2007 11:50

Go for the Dive job in Mauritius, which will come up first then see where life lead you.
Many years ago after my first child was born I was desperate for a part time job in my field. The only one that was available was in a Paediatric Hospital which I didn't think I would be able to cope with, but I took it. :::(
Now 23 years later I love Paeds and have been in charge of the department for several years.
Grasp what comes first if you don't like it move on.
H
Xray Specs
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon ud » Do Apr 05, 2007 16:21

Come to Mauritius and choose that Diving Instructor job for a couple of months and see if you adapt.

ADAPTATION!!!!!!! Easy to say but by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wayyyyyyyyyyyyy difficult to do!

Too much of something might make you lose interest in it. People get bored doing the same things, visiting the same places over and over.

If you get the chance to do both.....Just go for it. Life is a continuous learning process and you might discover new stuff you like doing and you might even forget ski instructor or diving instructor and do something else.

I'm not being Harsh but Mauritius is a great place to be! Atleast its going to be more colourful than cold white snow countryside!

Diving Instructors work everytime of the year (I believe) while a ski instructor works only during winter...I might be wrong unless you're going to arctica or antactica.

I'm in a dilemma myself....I dunno where to go after my degree...to come back to Mauritius or stay here in UK or Europe.

I've not seen any forum in UK or France which gives an insight like that forum does towards tourists and people wanting to immigrate to Mauritius. It's a fact that European people are not really happy about Immigration issues right now.

They should realise that we do not complain about them when they come to Mauritius......

I might have gone off topic but something happened recently that made me really angry. Being Laughed at and Pestered because I look like someone from India, Pakistan or Far East does not make me one of them.

Regards

ud
(still recovering from that insult :::( )
ud

Beitragvon Ken » Do Apr 05, 2007 17:30

Thanks for the replies people!

@MmeTortue: well yes, it is a bit of a luxury problem isn't it? But it's still a problem that keeps me awake sometimes ;)

ud you sound pretty much like me, I mean the part about not knowing what to do next, I just decided that I want to leave europe doing diving or skiïng, my to biggest "hobby's".
I'm going to call Nolan in Mauritius now and see what the conditions are, and if he wants to meet some of my demands, last time when I was there he offered me €500 + commissions, small studio and lunch which isn't a bad salary to live in Mauritius, but sadly enough it's only peanuts compared to western standards.

You're right about ski instructors mainly have work during winter season (there are some option for working in summer to, like on gletsjers and stuff) but that's my goal actually ==> work at as a ski instructor in winter, and as a dive instructor in the off-season.

I don't agree with the part that I might choose something else to make my career of, lots of people don't take (instructor)jobs in the sport-tourism industry very seriuosly, not knowing they require lot of mental and financial input, not to speak about the dedication to the lifestyle.
(except for those who see it as a gapyear-thingy, but they don't come even close to the knowledge and experience professionals carry with them)

I'll let you know what happend ;)
Ken
moris explorater
moris explorater

Bilder: 3

Beitragvon ud » Do Apr 05, 2007 18:58

I don't agree with the part that I might choose something else to make my career of, lots of people don't take (instructor)jobs in the sport-tourism industry very seriuosly, not knowing they require lot of mental and financial input, not to speak about the dedication to the lifestyle.
(except for those who see it as a gapyear-thingy, but they don't come even close to the knowledge and experience professionals carry with them)

I've never said anything like that instructor career path ain't cool or not!

I Only wanted to point out that projects you've got right now on your mind might change for the best in the future as things come up. Well you never know the human mind you see...I would not bet on that!

See you in a couple of years and make sure you update this post! LOL

Take Care

ud
ud

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English