Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Cyclones?

for our english speaking user.

Cyclones?

Beitragvon banane » Mo Feb 26, 2007 1:39

I heard there is a cyclone in Mauritius now?

How severe are these and how many days do they last?

I guess it means, no electric, no flights and going out for tourists.

banane
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon ud » Mo Feb 26, 2007 1:57

banane don't get so worked up.

January and February are the 2 months that mark peaks in cyclonic activity and we have just been experiencing it this year.

http://www.info-mauritius.com/cyclone-tracking.htm

This is where you will see the trajectory and the bottom link for satellite pictures

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/La_Reunion/

The cyclones especially the one you're actually talking about (named Gamede) have not badly affected us like the fierece ones we got a couple of years ago and this is great!!!!. Hope this is the last cyclone. Hopefully things should get better in March and that's when TOURISTS SHOULD COME TO VISIT!!!!

Try this bottom link for how we judge their severity:

http://metservice.intnet.mu/wcygen.htm

Cyclones may last a while depending on their speed (they can be very very slow 5Km/h or very fast 30Km/h) and eventually this determines when we will get the sun back.

If I recall properly, Electricity is cut as a safety measure when gusts of winds reach more than 120Km/h or due to damage to the grid system. Yes, a percentage of the island eventually finds itself without electricity which can be really really really boring for young lads like me.

They can last 3 days or more. Rain follows.

How unlucky must be the tourists actually in Mauritius at that time but anyways it can be a lifetime experience (not in terms of danger). Flights are cancelled as safety measure. No going out for tourists just like you've said.

Cyclones are needed as they bring they bring all the water to actually replenish our reservoirs and other fresh water sources!!!!

Cyclones are much better than droughts!!!!!! No water for a shower.....OMG!!!!!!! Thinking about it gives me the creeps.....

Regards

ud
ud
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon banane » Mo Feb 26, 2007 18:02

haha I'm not worked up! :PPP)

I'm just wondering how Mauritian's survive, so it can be 3 days without going out and no electricity, I guess everyone has to keep a supply of food to survive.

Do the building get badly damaged?

Can anyone in Mauritius, update us on how the cyclone is at the moment?
banane
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English