Webcam Mauritius
Weather Mauritius
  Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery
Mauritius Accommodation
Mauritius English Home

for our english speaking user.

Postby ladybird » Thu Jul 10, 2008 21:03

Hi, I am due to visit your beautiful country. Is it better to bring travellers cheques with me or purely cash. I am only coming for a holiday.

Info Mauritius Annonce

Postby Leroy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 22:18

Hi, My opinion Cheques, coz U gonna get a bit better course wiv them,
but check exmpl:

There´s FX Daily, U will see, different of notes /cheques/transfer...

Visa card exmpl is very useful here,

Have a great Holiday, welcome

content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Postby nypy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 23:39

euros are very easy chance and even use straight in many places, offcourse the course is not so good in hotels and shops, but some shops have even prices in euros
content partagé
content partagé

Re: currency

Postby hazeline03 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:37

We also visited the beautiful country of Mauritius last Christmas. My parents brought cheques because it is usually exchanged at a better rate than cash. Also ATMs are widely available in most towns and hotels.

Postby locallady » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:44

Travellers cheques are old hat these days much better to bring cash!!
moris explorater
moris explorater

Postby Brofasond » Thu Jul 29, 2010 23:59

locallady wrote: … Travellers cheques are old hat these days …

It might seem like that. But to be honest it still is one of the safest ways of bringing "money" from one part in the world to another.
locallady wrote: … much better to bring cash!! …

Excuse me, but that’s neither modern nor safe. It is rather a bit silly. What it definitely is: risky.

ladybird wrote: .. I am only coming for a holiday…

That is the point: That is what traveler’s cheques are made for. For holidays, travelling, not for every day’s life at home. Enjoy your holidays to the maximum. You hopefully should neither loose your purse nor it will be stolen. In case it happens though, you will be much happier to know, your traveler’s cheques are covered by your issuing bank. Covered means you will be refunded within the country and do not have the problem of being without money for the rest of your stay.

Depending where you are from (Europe?) you could also make use of your bank card (Maestro). As Mauritius is very much European orientated you find cash points easily. Even at touristic places. In case you loose your card (and have your PIN in mind rather written on your card) you also wont loose your money.

When travelling abroad be careful with your money and do not risk anything by taking too much cash with you. Else it could happen that the beautiful country will stay as a sad fade in your memory. Wouldn’t that be a pity?

All the best and have a safe time in dear Mauritius,
mari bon connaisance lor moris
mari bon connaisance lor moris

Postby ud » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:01

May I just add to the comments of our greatly valued forum users who've replied before?

I would bring a a mixture of both travellers cheque and atleast 1/3 of the money you plan to spend in cash.

There are various places where to change your currency, either in from your country, when you land in Mauritius (at the airport) or later on when visiting.

There are various banks in the town and city centers and you need to check for a better rate. I don't personally think losing 5Euros is so much of a deal if you find a better rate somewhere and have to endure the hassle of going there to change the money.

Mauritius Commercial Bank, Shibani Finance, HSBC, Barclays and Baroda are the common banks with local branches you will encounter. I don't really recall which ones have branches at the airport although I'm certain that MCB and Shibani definitely do.

Kind Regards

moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Info Mauritius Annonce

Return to Mauritius Forum English