Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

cultural facts

for our english speaking user.

cultural facts

Beitragvon koala00 » Mo Apr 27, 2009 20:58

Hello! I go to Mauritius..........this Friday!!!!!

I have all things prepared but I just want to know some information about cultural facts so not to be mistaken:

-How do people in Mauritius greet? (shaking hands, kisses....etc?)

- About different temples of the island:

CHINESE pagodas
HINDU temples
MOSQUE
CATHEDRALS

What do you have to wear? What are the restrictions?
In which ones you can take photos inside?

Thank you very much!!!

koala00
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon ud » Di Apr 28, 2009 14:05

Hello koala00,

Some cultural lessons for you :)

Greeting People:

Man to man greetings is through shaking hands while opposite sex greetings involves kisses on the cheeks (1 on each). The professional greeting as anywhere else remains the handshake though.

Good Behaviour in Religious Places:

As long as you're dressed properly (even in shorts) there won't be any problems in accessing cathedrals, churches, hindu temples and chinese pagodas. Please show due respect when visiting religious places. Wear appropriate clothing - no partial nudity for woman (and remove leather shoes and belts) when entering the premises.

However in hindu temples, it is kind of requested to remove any footwear before you go in front of the god statues. I don't think filming or taking pictures in any of those religious premises will be an issue as long as you're not interrupting any prayer sessions.

However the one am not sure about is for the Mosque :s. I don't know if people of other faith are allowed in there or you'll need a special permission from the religious leader (imham) to do so.

Enjoy your stay,

ud
ud
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon terence » Di Apr 28, 2009 14:23

I remember visiting a place called Ganga Talao. Its has a couple of hindu temples and a statue of Lord Shiva which I believe is 108 feet tall. Even though I am a christian, I requested the pujari to teach my daughter how to do pooja and he very happily taught my daughter a few things.
There is a church in Grand Baie , I went for the French service at 8.00 am on Sunday. I dont speak french, then I realised that the English service is at 10.00 am.
terence
moris explorater
moris explorater

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English