wickus

wickus
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 0

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon babamc » So Aug 31, 2008 17:57

Hi Wickus,

That's great well done, :ploppop I've been trying to find out info re creole for a while, I like to be able to say at least a few words in the language of the country I am visiting, but as you know with Mauritius you have to learn a lot a languages and the only thing I've managed is a bit of french! :lol: .

The examples of how to use the words are rather formal so I'm not sure if I'll be able to put much into practice but thanks a lot anyway. It's a pity there was not a creole phrase book like you would get in other languages.
babamc
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon wickus » So Aug 31, 2008 18:32

Greetings to the other green island, seen it also (3times in the early nineties)

maybe you like this one too: (more the touristversion)
http://www.kreol.mu/PhraseGreeting.htm, scroll down then you can go to other pages with more phrases or use the side navigation.

you're maybe right, that these phrases are a bit off topic. Since it is from a hungarian, it reminds the hungarians learning english in Monty Pythons Flying Circus :lol:

So far take care and Slainthe

Wickus
P.S: When you come here, bring some barrels of Guinness, the special import they have taste like sh*te. :lol: (Strongbow will do it too)
wickus

Beitragvon babamc » So Aug 31, 2008 18:53

Hi

Thanks a million I have that one as well (I'm a bit OCD! lol). It's a lot easier to work out than the other dictionary. Am I right in saying that it sounds simular to the french word that it translated into or am I totally off base?! :-? I have only heard creole spoken by someone from martinique and they spoke that fast I got nothing! I hope the creole speaking people and indeed the french speaking people are quite forgiving because everything I say sounds strange in my thick irish accent! lol. Hope you liked our green isle over here well maybe not the weather, we may be simular in colour but certainly not in rainfall!

Did you get the taste for guinness when you were over here, would you believe I can't stand the stuff or strongbow for that matter sorry!

You would get on with PaddyJoe from the forum he's quite partial to the awl black stuff.

Good luck and slan
baba

P.S 1 last question what is the best language to start a conversation in Mauritius
babamc
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon wickus » So Aug 31, 2008 19:24

Think Creole is to french like scottish to english :mrgreen:
sometimes I can catch up something but speaking myself is a bit time consuming since I search always the words. you find a lot of french sound in this. seem to be more written like french is spoken. but some english words are also found in it. ex. bon weekend ( hope that was right)

I really liked it in Ireland, had quite some luck there with the weather, and once got me a sunburn on the aran's (windy, sunny, terrible mix for a blondie) after a rainy day in got to clifden and asked for something against sunburn in a pharmacy. They guy looked pretty puzzled: Here...in Ireland?
But they can have some heavy rain here too, maybe not so much over several days.

I really like the black magic as well as Cider. I even worked a while in an irish Pub at home in Germany to get this stuff for free :mrgreen: There we got the same stuff like in Ireland. :bier) Beside this I always prefer a good irish whisky to a scotch. (except Scapa, nice stuff, but an irish guy told me, that because its made of irish barley)

To your last question, don't know really how it is with the normal people here but in a shop you should normally find somebody speaking english, since it is the official business language here.
wickus

Kreol

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mo Sep 01, 2008 7:19

Hello Wickaus,

As I'm interested in Kreol I did some (non-professional) research. There are about 70 different Kreols all over the world based on several languages not only French but mostly English and Spanish. There exists even one Kreol based on German which is still spoken in Papua New Guinea.

Interesting is the fact that the Kreol Mauricien is similar to the Kreol Haitien and not as one might expect to the Kreol spoken on our neighbour island Reunion.

ena bonne zournee a tous dimun!

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

correction

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mo Sep 01, 2008 7:20

Hello Wickus, sorry about the a that somehow managed to appear in your name in my earlier message...
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon wickus » Mo Sep 01, 2008 12:46

No problem :-)
wickus

Beitragvon babamc » Mo Sep 01, 2008 12:46

Hi Wickus,

It does look like the phonetical (sorry if I spelt that wrong!) of french when you see creole written down, ah well I will try and annoy some local people when I get there to get the basic hello goodbye etc, when I'm in a country thankfully I absorb the language and can communicate on a basic level, but when I leave I forget everything. I spent 4 months in Austria and could speak a very small amount of german enough to get by on my own but don't remember any off it now! Language is one of pet loves and hates. I love languages and I am annoyed I never became a linguist and I hate the arrogant assumption that english speakers have that whereever they go they expect other people to be able to speak their language, I just think its polite to even try to say something in the local language.

As for your bon weekend end you are perfectly correct and that is also said in France they also took the english word.

The west of Ireland is probably one of the most beautiful places in Ireland (except for my home county of Antrim lol), there is so much natural beauty there that it is breathtaking. I've been to Clifden but not the Aran Isles.

I'm not a big drinker (yes I know strange for an Irish person) but I do like a whiskey, I have to be patriotic (sorry spelling again!) and say my favorite is bushmills or blackbush, its very smooth and yummy. If I am drinking I mix it with lemonade or baileys which is a beautiful drink you should try it sometime.

I owe you a whole keg of the black stuff with all my rambling!

Have a good day and bis spater (hope I'm right with this, it's been a long time and I think there is some accent over the a but I don't remember which one or how to do it.

Baba
babamc
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon wickus » Mo Sep 01, 2008 21:14

I hope you get no problem bringing the Keg down here? :lol:

I am not so far in the language only can some basic stuff, at least I understand my family here a bit when they talk. I joined now the children footie project so maybe I catch up a bit more through the kiddies.

whiskey and bailey, I know this combination from the Irish Car Bomb,
1/2pint guinness in this you put a big 4cl shotglass half with whiskey and half bailey.

yeah its awesome in ireland, especially the cliffs of moher, or the view of kylemore abbey. Also the view from Slieve League, where I had company from a weird east german guy who always signs up in the B&B with east germany, 5 years after the wall, he light a joint on top of slieve league.
And I been to Blarney but none of the million donkeys who licked the stone. yuck

loved bushmills too since I came to redbreast, also been to bushmills.

well have to say you can enjoy your countrysite more when you're sober.
wickus

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English