Mauritius Gallery
Mauritius Accommodation
Mauritius English Home

Cost of Living

for our english speaking user.

Oil prices

Postby MmeTortue » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:36

Hello ud,

the rising cost for oil really concerns me. We already heard some of the 'marchants' say, that they are going to re-use the oil to prepare dholl puri or gateau piments more often. Might not exactly improve our health...

Mme. Tortue

moris forum membre a'élite

Info Mauritius Annonce

Postby Scope254 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 22:35

Yesterday in Quatre Bornes market dholl puree were 10 rupees each! and that's the price on the board, not tourist prices.
Alouda drink has gone up from 10 to 15 a glass since my last visit - but still worth buying as I love it!!
encor Basic
encor Basic

Postby monika » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:32

Hi Purplepixie,
15000 is not even enough for the rent of your house if you want to live in walking distance to the beach. It will be around 20000.

Water 300 per Month
Electric 1500 - 3500 (with aircon in all Bedrooms) per month

Privat school for the kids: min. 5000 each

Best regards,

Postby purplepixie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 13:28

Hi Monika

Thanks for this info...

Are there cheaper houses, apartments, cottages (3/4 bedroom) available - perhaps not in walking distance to the beach, but on a bus route at least?

I am not too concerned about schools, as we homeschool.

What are the average salaries? The job offered for Rs15 000 was for a teaching position - is this about average for a teacher?

Are there any good Mauritian sites you can recommend to look for jobs? (I do check out servihoo daily)... any others? Perhaps even if they are French (I can use google to translate...)???

Thanks again for the info. It is quite difficult to find out this kind of information on the internet, as most of the properties/information are for tourists.

We are really looking forward to the move and need to know as much as possible before we make the move over...and hopefully have a job lined up first.

Thanks again :ploppop
encor Basic
encor Basic

Postby AlexAlexander » Tue Jan 20, 2009 22:15

Hello all

I notice that this thread is a bit asking the question again.

I have been offered a job in the Mauritius and am really excited. I am desparately trying to find out what is the general cost of living in Mauritius....housing/food/vehicle/household stuff/taxes etc.

I am a bachelor. My company has offered to pay USD750 per month towards rental....what kinda house can I get in this money (preferably near the beach)...and if I top it up with a lil bit more....say $100-$200....what are my options then.

The company has also agreed to give me a "small" car....what is the cost of running the car/fuel/tax etc. an average....what is the per month expenditure one can expect for a good comfortable living?

I need to say yes/no to the company regarding their offer and will appreciate anyone who can please help out with this.

Postby stefan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 14:10

sounds ok , without knowing, any of your living standard today.
but for mauritius, it's not bad, as a expat nothing to save money.

22000rs you get a apartment or a house, what is fine.
a car, should include all expenses, just petrol, this could cost 2000km

...good comfortable living

what is that, playing golf? go diving 2 a week? going to restaurant every day. spending time on the beach...hey, that's something you must know.

Return to Mauritius Forum English