Also been ripped robbed by Con Mauritians and Thieves
i have been in Mauritius for eight months now, and the first month, i got involved in a hospitality business project that lasted only two months from its start/opening, to be left ripped off and conned by local Nord Mauritians. Project loss estimated at Rs 1.3 million Mauritian rupees. In brief, commercial sales and rentals are excessively inflated on purpose, because they believe, foreigners coming to settle by what they claim 'Paradise' are 'Cash Cows' for the taking, by crook con procedures that ask for sums paid in Cash vs. Cheques and/or Bank Transfers in the hope goes undetected by the Revenue authorities. Yet our Con knew beforehand we would get in this dilemma and once we reached their desired expectations, DARED ask to have share in the business investment/operations and have no rental to pay for the next months, as now you would agree, would have an active voice in business policies, to include financial statements etc...
After our loss, I met two other fellow french businessmen who also suffered ripping robbing off status by fellow local con mauritians and theives. A wiseman told me that 90% of the country are Crooks and the other 10% are sane. The bottom result, we are following up on making our loss and once we do, we are packing up and leaving!
Not long ago, there was an article written in French in one of the Local Newspapers, 6000 investors not having their occupation permits renewed for the very reasons mentioned above. Mauritius as a country must conduct better due diligence and standards on its citizens, if they were to aim for fruitful results. Going it as is, will only destroy the country economy for the future.
My Message to you Today is simple, Investors/Expats BEWARE! If you still insist coming on to Mauritius, live the country first hand without getting involved, do your SWOT analysis, BEWARE professionals i.e. Lawyers, Accountants, etc... as some are eagerly looking for a discrepancy in about just anything, would cost you extra undetected Cash lump fees to put straight. Do and Invest in your Research, due Diligence, Scrutiny at every angle before startup. And Good Luck, God Bless!