Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Con men and thieves

for our english speaking user.

Con men and thieves

Beitragvon mempep » So Jul 27, 2008 10:26

I read about a ticket fraud in Paris by a mauritian travel agent in this weeks newspapers. The con-man image of mauritius is certainly gaining momentum isn't it ?

On this forum we've read various posts from people ripped off when trying to build in Mauritius. I've not long returned from Mauritius and heard numerous stories of people conning their friends, relatives and bosses.

I've had taxi drivers try for exhorbitant fares and then get upset when I decline their services, beach sellers get abusive if you're not interested in their wares, bus conductors and shopkeepers short change me. I've listened to many stories from locals of theft by local thieves and relatives alike and the need for more security and dogs because of increasing crime.

There seems to be an unfortunate culture creeping into Mauritian society that conning, stealing and trying to make money with little effort by whatever means is becoming more common and accepted. This unfortunately will, in the longer term, be detrimental to the county's reputation and the majority of good hearted and respectable Mauritians don't deserve such a bad reputation at the expense of these thieves.

Beware of the new way of life some Mauritians are adopting - dishonesty and preying on the unsuspecting.

mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon stefan » So Jul 27, 2008 14:19

mepmep, i believe this is a worldwide problem and not only in mauritius.
regards
stefan
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 164

Beitragvon thermo » So Jul 27, 2008 14:59

I have been seeing press reports about Mauritians overstaying their visa recently in the UK. Shame Mauritians are in the press for the wrong reasons.
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon terence » So Jul 27, 2008 17:53

One of my Office collegues just returned from Pilgrimage tour in Rome & lourdes. He was robbed there by some locals posing as police. Unfortunately even a holy place like Rome is not spared by con men.
I am from Dubai where they belive that crime in minimal. My IT General Manager was mugged below our office building. I believe it is every where. You should be thankful that you are in a comparative better country than other countries.
terence
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Gerard » Di Jul 29, 2008 4:05

I would wholly agree with Stefan, there is indeed an increase in petty crime in Mauritius but this is nothing compared to some other holiday destinations. Only today, you would have heard of the unfortunate couple on their honeymoon who were gunned down in their holiday bungalow in Antigua....the motive was theft and the woman was shot in the head.....her husband is fighting for his life. This problem exists worldwide and to a lesser degree in Mauritius too. We should not amplify this problem and I am sure the Mauritian authorities and the new comissioner of police are taking action to combat this problem. Mauritius is still one of the safest holiday destinations in the world.
Best regards,
Gerard :cool:
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard
servi souvent moris forum
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 139

Builders and conmen in Mauritius

Beitragvon johnjoe20 » So Aug 10, 2008 20:36

Sad to say that I have experienced both conmen builders and workers alike.

I have been conned by 2 builders who had no problems with taking my money and say ' hard luck ' There is nothing the law would do - it is a civil matter - what so robbery is now a civil matter!
They now have a licence to steal from you and there is nothing you can do about it unless you are willing to employ an attorney, counsel etc at great expense to get 'nothing back'

I have had workmen who have stolen my property without blinking an eye.

I moved to Mauritius last year to retire, I have a lot of family because my wife is from Mairutius and I work here . It is a lovely country and I have been coming here since I got married 30 years plus.

The moral standards have changed, mostly with the younger generation and parents don't seem to excert the same control anymore.

The law here is not as you may expect - it is who you know and who you are. If you are related to the right people and have money , I bet you are going to be looked after and nobody would dare to con you!!

The fact that things could be worse is no excuse - crime is crime and builders must be brought to justice for stealing from people. I know several so called builders who are not registered, never pay tax, and get away with it (I have reported them to the MRA)
Wake up Mauritius before you deter visitors and potential investors alike.

I still love it here - great place to live.

Johnjoe
If your Irish come into the palour
johnjoe20
moris explorater
moris explorater

Also been ripped robbed by Con Mauritians and Thieves

Beitragvon rippedrobbed » Mo Sep 14, 2009 15:24

i have been in Mauritius for eight months now, and the first month, i got involved in a hospitality business project that lasted only two months from its start/opening, to be left ripped off and conned by local Nord Mauritians. Project loss estimated at Rs 1.3 million Mauritian rupees. In brief, commercial sales and rentals are excessively inflated on purpose, because they believe, foreigners coming to settle by what they claim 'Paradise' are 'Cash Cows' for the taking, by crook con procedures that ask for sums paid in Cash vs. Cheques and/or Bank Transfers in the hope goes undetected by the Revenue authorities. Yet our Con knew beforehand we would get in this dilemma and once we reached their desired expectations, DARED ask to have share in the business investment/operations and have no rental to pay for the next months, as now you would agree, would have an active voice in business policies, to include financial statements etc...

After our loss, I met two other fellow french businessmen who also suffered ripping robbing off status by fellow local con mauritians and theives. A wiseman told me that 90% of the country are Crooks and the other 10% are sane. The bottom result, we are following up on making our loss and once we do, we are packing up and leaving!

Not long ago, there was an article written in French in one of the Local Newspapers, 6000 investors not having their occupation permits renewed for the very reasons mentioned above. Mauritius as a country must conduct better due diligence and standards on its citizens, if they were to aim for fruitful results. Going it as is, will only destroy the country economy for the future.

My Message to you Today is simple, Investors/Expats BEWARE! If you still insist coming on to Mauritius, live the country first hand without getting involved, do your SWOT analysis, BEWARE professionals i.e. Lawyers, Accountants, etc... as some are eagerly looking for a discrepancy in about just anything, would cost you extra undetected Cash lump fees to put straight. Do and Invest in your Research, due Diligence, Scrutiny at every angle before startup. And Good Luck, God Bless!
rippedrobbed
nouvo
nouvo

Re: Also been ripped robbed by Con Mauritians and Thieves

Beitragvon thermo » Mi Sep 30, 2009 0:21

rippedrobbed hat geschrieben:i have been in Mauritius for eight months now, ... snip ....

My Message to you Today is simple, Investors/Expats BEWARE! If you still insist coming on to Mauritius, live the country first hand without getting involved, do your SWOT analysis, BEWARE professionals i.e. Lawyers, Accountants, etc... as some are eagerly looking for a discrepancy in about just anything, would cost you extra undetected Cash lump fees to put straight. Do and Invest in your Research, due Diligence, Scrutiny at every angle before startup. And Good Luck, God Bless!

That's pretty good advice for those thinking of doing business in Mauritius, unfortunately, Mauritius has been like that since before I was born, nothing has changed. They don't realize that if they don't rip you off in the short term, it would be in their advantage in the long term to work with you.

Plus ca chage, plus c'est la meme chose...
thermo
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English